Very bad FN Five- seveN Kaboom

This is a discussion on Very bad FN Five- seveN Kaboom within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow... very scary kaboom. My FN Five-Seven exploded - PredatorMasters Forums...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Very bad FN Five- seveN Kaboom

Very bad FN Five- seveN Kaboom

Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

Did it leave a mark?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I bet after the kaboom the first words he was saying was FN this and FN that! LOL..... Get it?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Man c hawk.....did you have to stoop down like that?? Hahahaha
    oh yea...I smell a lawsuit!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I bet after the kaboom the first words he was saying was FN this and FN that! LOL..... Get it?
    LOL, clever!

VIP Member
    From the looks of the casing remaining in the chamber it appears that it fired out of battery, with that amount of damage the shooter was lucky his injuries were not much worse.
    Tzadik and farronwolf like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    prayer for a quick recover and good luck with surgery
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

One big problem I can foresee is if the headstamp of the round that blew is unrecoverable,he is gonna have trouble proving whose ammo it was,and even then prove it wasn't a reload.Hopefully if it fired out of battery they can prove that is the main reason.I got a feeling that since it involves somewhat severe injuries that require surgery to repair they aren't gonna just roll over and pay up like they might if a gun just needed replaced
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

FWIW: on other boards he's admitted to using reloads. It is a shame he was injured but this sounds like it was a self induced problem.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

That looks more like the round DETONATED than the usual out of battery or blown case head damage.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The only other 5.7 Kaboom I've seen reported was a result of a double charge reload. This looks similar if not worse. Since he admits to using reloads, that would be my guess. I've tried hard and long to get my 5.7 to fire, (dry firing of course), out of battery and cannot.

VIP Member
    While the post of the story on another board says he was firing factory ammo when it happened, he also said he had shot reloads that day as well. If he were to sue, he's going to have a hard time convincing a jury he couldn't have mixed a reload into the factory loads by mistake.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While the post of the story on another board says he was firing factory ammo when it happened, he also said he had shot reloads that day as well. If he were to sue, he's going to have a hard time convincing a jury he couldn't have mixed a reload into the factory loads by mistake.
    Yup! If I were FN, I sure would want to know what happened. If it was the firearm, this could easily have been shrapnel in his head causing death and not just hand injuries. Just too much of a coincidence that he was shooting reloads and then supposedly went to factory 197s. He definitely should not have been posting to the extent he did--it's almost the same as talking to an LEO--you keep your mouth shut and let an attorney handle the situation before you put your foot in your mouth, which he has already done. You can read and see more if you go to 57 forum or fiveseven forum.

VIP Member
    I don't think FN will do anything for him since he shot reloads. I reload the 5.7 x 28 and it is very very tricky. Kind of not worth it.
    You have to be so careful choosing your powder and bullet combo. Sorry that it happened to him but I am glad he shared the info so I can learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I don't think FN will do anything for him since he shot reloads. I reload the 5.7 x 28 and it is very very tricky. Kind of not worth it.
    You have to be so careful choosing your powder and bullet combo. Sorry that it happened to him but I am glad he shared the info so I can learn from it.
    Why do you have to be so careful with the 5.7? Is it loaded that close to the "edge"? Just wondering...
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links