Range Report -- KelTec P3AT 380ACP sub-compact pistol (ongoing) - Page 3

Range Report -- KelTec P3AT 380ACP sub-compact pistol (ongoing)

This is a discussion on Range Report -- KelTec P3AT 380ACP sub-compact pistol (ongoing) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a P11 9mm and cannot think of another 9mm that could take it's place. I think Kel-Tec should be commended for bringing to ...

View Poll Results: Given what you've seen/heard, would you keep this gun as a BUG (backup)?

Voters
365. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

307 84.11%
  • No

36 9.86%
  • No opinion

22 6.03%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Range Report -- KelTec P3AT 380ACP sub-compact pistol (ongoing)

I have a P11 9mm and cannot think of another 9mm that could take it's place. I think Kel-Tec should be commended for bringing to market what no other manufacturer has been able to; lightweight and reliable, very small pistols for their caliber.

I WILL buy a P3AT and possible a P32 someday to go with my P11.

Kel-Tec = King of pocket semi's.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

P3AT 2nd gen. Great little gun. Amazingly accurate with minimal sights. Love it, especially in the summer.

Is there a secret to shooting the P3-AT? I consider myself a pretty decent shooter, but with this gun I'm horrible at the 7-10 yard distance....I don't know if it is the combination of a tiny sight and low lighting at the indoor range where I practice, but my shot placement is all over the target. If I can't become more accurate with it, I may have to find another option such as a Glock 26.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or, am I the only one?
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
    Is there a secret to shooting the P3-AT? I consider myself a pretty decent shooter, but with this gun I'm horrible at the 7-10 yard distance....I don't know if it is the combination of a tiny sight and low lighting at the indoor range where I practice, but my shot placement is all over the target. If I can't become more accurate with it, I may have to find another option such as a Glock 26.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or, am I the only one?
    I second that! I shot my cousins over the thanksgiving break and I was all over. I think it is the mile-long trigger pull that gets me. The gun is so light and small that I am bound to pull the tip of the barrel up while pulling the trigger. I guess practice makes perfect! all I know is that I want one real bad!!!!

It is a thin little bug-ger...
    XD SC 9mm
    S&W 340pd

Minnesota Gun Talk

"A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes." Mark Twain

It's nice to here good reports on this gun, just bought one myself. Inexpensive,reliable,and made in America. This is not my primary carry gun, for a "BUG" it"s perfect.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

I'm interested in one (and have been for a while) but before I buy one, I'd like to see a comparison between the Kel-Tec and the NAA Guardian .380

Is there a secret to shooting the P3-AT? I consider myself a pretty decent shooter, but with this gun I'm horrible at the 7-10 yard distance...
    The P3AT is a handful, yes. However, I find it surprisingly accurate for a puny pistol without sights.

What I do is to use a "crush" grip, both hands, to isolate the trigger finger from the rest of the hand's reflexive clenching when triggering; take an aggressive stance that reaches out and "over" (if you know what I mean), in anticipation of the recoil. Now, the recoil isn't much to speak of, but the muzzle flip is tremendous if you're not prepared for it.

Treating it as if it were a .44mag loaded with hot ammo helps me keep the muzzle pointed on-target, largely. I'm able to mostly strike within ~6-8" or so at 7yds, with some groups much tighter if I shoot slowly and painstakingly. I know ... not match caliber shooting, but then this is a gun meant for shooting inside 7yds.

- Michael
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Accuracy requires a consistent grip and sight alignment.
    At 40 years old my eyes aren't what they use to be,a little orange paint on the front sight will help with the vertical alignment.
    The two white dots blend together making vertical alignment tricky.

At 7 yards the p3at can be shot 1 to 2 inches very easy if you do your part.
    Practice your grip and trigger pull at home dry firing with some snap caps.
    6 or 7 inch groups with any gun at 7 yds is a bad flinch or weak grip.
    Your hands can never be too strong.
    Strong hands absorb recoil as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grappler1911 View Post
    At 7 yards the p3at can be shot 1 to 2 inches very easy if you do your part. 6 or 7 inch groups with any gun at 7 yds is a bad flinch or weak grip.
    Yes, when slowly fired. Quick strings within 6-8" at 7-10yds (a hand span) is standard for about any gun, for me. The point is: the P3AT isn't any less accurate, inherently.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The problem I have is not related to recoil or muzzle flip, but I am simply unable to properly sight-in the gun in the low light of the indoor range that I belong to. I don't think the gun is any less accurate of a shooter, but unfortunately, there are no outdoor ranges near my home; so I've never had the opportunity to shoot my 3AT in daylight conditions. I actually have more success by simply pointing and shooting vs. trying to aim with the sights. Using that method I can place all six shots in the chest cavity, but it is without precision.

I've thought about getting an Armalaser, but am unsure if it will still fit in my Uncle Mike's holster with the laser attached.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

The problem I have is not related to recoil or muzzle flip, but I am simply unable to properly sight-in the gun in the low light of the indoor range that I belong to. I don't think the gun is any less accurate of a shooter, but unfortunately, there are no outdoor ranges near my home; so I've never had the opportunity to shoot my 3AT in daylight conditions. I actually have more success by simply pointing and shooting vs. trying to aim with the sights. Using that method I can place all six shots in the chest cavity, but it is without precision.

I've thought about getting an Armalaser, but am unsure if it will still fit in my Uncle Mike's holster with the laser attached.
    I consider my P3ATs purely point and shoot guns, all off the front site. With one of them I have no trouble getting 3-5 inch groups and the other 6-8 inch groups at 5 or 7 yards (consistantly with a single hand grip). Actually, my grouping is not quite as good with a two handed slow-aim shooting (doesn't make sense to me but is a fact).

My typical CCW practice routine involves using standard paper plates as targets (with the occasional silhouette). I practice various tactical situations (both stationary & moving) with single and multiple targets, locations and distances (1 yard up to 15 yards). Fortunately I can do this as often as I like because I have my own range. Obviously my stationary shooting is more accurate, but, with practice most if not all shots are inside the intended paper plate.

The feel of the P3AT is different than my other pistols (which are more fun to shoot) but the Kel-Tecs are my everyday carry because of their ease of concealment.

In an ideal world I would carry my full size Walther P99 (40) but I am comfortable and confident with my P3ATs.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    I consider my P3ATs purely point and shoot guns, all off the front site. With one of them I have no trouble getting 3-5 inch groups and the other 6-8 inch groups at 5 or 7 yards (consistantly with a single hand grip). Actually, my grouping is not quite as good with a two handed slow-aim shooting (doesn't make sense to me but is a fact).
    This is a very valid and important point of all the small Pocket mouse guns. The sights are on some fo them because you think you need them. They are of very little use and dare I say (as many more knowledable will attest) totaly unnessicary. They don't even need to be there. The secret to these little guns is to learn point and shoot. And always practice them close up within 15 feet. Thats where they are used and thats where you need them and you can get quite good at point and shoot after a couple of practice sessions. This is the very reason that Larry Seecamp does not bother to put them on the Seecamp's. They just are extra non usefull thing on a Super compact Mouse gun. These are not target pistols. They are close in self defense guns. You have to learn to point and shoot these little things to make them a distinct advantage. It's important and they become like second nature to use in very short order. And shooting them fast and accurate becomes easy in just a few sessions.

I dare say its as important to learn to point and shoot instinctively with ANY self defense gun. More so the smaller the gun. Precious milli-moments and wasted motions are sacrificed to line up sights. The shot should already have occured by that time. And with practice it will hit near point it needs to. The first rule in a gun fights is to shoot first... a couple first if you can. And with practice, pretty darn accurately too. Muscle memory and body postion memory do not change in varying lighting. Its all the same once you train your body to do it.

Sponsor
    I have the P32. It goes with me, period. 100% reliable to date. I practice drawing and double tap at 7yards every range trip 20-30 rounds. I can keep both rounds in the chest cavity and my speed is slowly getting better. I hand load all my range ammo, but I make sure to run a mag of Magtech 71gr. JHP (my sd load) at least every other trip. The extended 9 round mag makes a huge difference in the feel and handling with out adding too much to the size. All in all, caliber preferences aside it is the perfect BUG for me.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I have been shooting at the range quite a bit with mine, trying to get used to it. The sights leave a little to be desired, but once I got used to them, it's really not a bad little gun. I (not being exactly an elite marksman) can get 25 of 25 on a 10" round target at 7 yards. Granted, I'm much more accurate with other guns, but for an incredibly tiny gun, you couldn't ask for anything more. Well, a nicer looking finish would be nice, but you know... function over form.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

They make a nice little pocket pistol. I've ran 50 rounds thru mine just to satisfy my need to know it would be reliable. I keep it loaded with ball ammo my thinking is it might penetrate deeper and the gun doesn't feel like it needs hi-powered ammo ran thru it. All in all it's o.k. when I can't carry something bigger. I've got the Galco pocket holster, these guns are the epitome of concealed weapon IMO.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links