Range Report -- KelTec P3AT 380ACP sub-compact pistol (ongoing)

This is a discussion on Range Report -- KelTec P3AT 380ACP sub-compact pistol (ongoing) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kel-tec owner here! I got a brand new p3at on the 14th. Put 100 rounds of Spear Gold-dot (planning on carrying with that in,hence trying ...

View Poll Results: Given what you've seen/heard, would you keep this gun as a BUG (backup)?

Voters
365. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

307 84.11%
  • No

36 9.86%
  • No opinion

22 6.03%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Range Report -- KelTec P3AT 380ACP sub-compact pistol (ongoing)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Kel-tec owner here! I got a brand new p3at on the 14th. Put 100 rounds of Spear Gold-dot (planning on carrying with that in,hence trying with it.) and not a single problem! I had no problems hitting what I wanted...at 15 yards. No FTE, FTF,or anything. I actually really like the way it shoots, BUT my hand did get pretty sore. I field stripped it ,and scrubbed it all out,and made sure everything was lubed. Didn't see anywhere or anything,and take-down was a breeze for me. I am used to my CZ,wich is hard as heck to break down so *shrug*

I do have a question though? My only problem is that it doesn't want to rack up properly to chamber a round. Seems like I have to really slam the slide back,and completely let go,and sometimes I have to "help" the slide back forward to its resting position.

My other question is..I bought a boresnake,and it hurts the heck out of my hands to hold the action open while running it through..suggestions?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

2. Remove Ads

Have shot my brothers and got mine yesterday!! will shoot it this week hopefully! cheers

Well written report, I like how you broke it down by categories..

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Kel-tec owner here! I got a brand new p3at on the 14th. Put 100 rounds of Spear Gold-dot (planning on carrying with that in,hence trying with it.) and not a single problem! I had no problems hitting what I wanted...at 15 yards. No FTE, FTF,or anything. I actually really like the way it shoots, BUT my hand did get pretty sore. I field stripped it ,and scrubbed it all out,and made sure everything was lubed. Didn't see anywhere or anything,and take-down was a breeze for me. I am used to my CZ,wich is hard as heck to break down so *shrug*

I do have a question though? My only problem is that it doesn't want to rack up properly to chamber a round. Seems like I have to really slam the slide back,and completely let go,and sometimes I have to "help" the slide back forward to its resting position.

My other question is..I bought a boresnake,and it hurts the heck out of my hands to hold the action open while running it through..suggestions?
    1. If at all possible, always slingshot the slide on your P3AT. If you let it ride forward slowly with your hand attached, or fail to completely retract it, you can get hangups on the feed ramp. I went through the exact same thing, and wound up having to go back to basics and re-learn how to rack my slide. Now it feeds even the WIDE mouthed hydra-shoks with ease. On your second problem, the only thing I can suggest is to field strip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    I'm all ears... (I mean eyes)... Please enlighten all of us...

What .380 of similar size & weight is better? I haven't seen one & I've been looking... plain & simple, show me a better one & I'll buy it...
    How about the Seecamp LWS38? Made by Larry Seecamp it is smaller than the Keltec and undeniably better made. It has the same capacity and only weighs about 3oz more, despite being a much better quality / quantity of metal.

There is a cost to this quality though... you could buy 2 of the Keltec's for what you would pay for the Seecamp and 100 rounds.

If anyone who owns a P3AT has feed/extraction issues, make sure that the extractor screw it tight (Kel Tec Diagram Part #183). Lock Tite seems to eliminate further issues.

I purchased a Kel-Tec 32 for my wife right after they came out. Then purchased a 380 when they first came out. Both have done great for us. I carry it when I wear tight jeans, or shorts. Lose dress clothes I pocket carry a S&W 642 and jacket weather I carry a P239 40 Sig.

As far as quality goes, like Our instructor who was a TBIU agent said,

"I do not car if you have a 1000 dollar H&K sitting home on your dresser, if you do not find a gun you can carrry all the time, you are fooling your self and wasting my time taking this class."
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Mine has been absolutely perfect. It is quite comfortable to shoot after I removed the sharp edges left from the moulding process. I have shot an ungodly number of WWB through it, and have never had a FTF or FTE.

Accuracy is great. I can put 6 or 7 COM at 7 or 15 yards so quickly that the bullets are tail-gating each other. At 25, I do need to slow down to keep all the rounds COM.

While I have used mostly WWB FMJs, I ordered some DoubleTap with 90g Got Dots at 1000fps out of the short P3AT barrel. I'm confident they will feed and shoot well. With this ammo, the .380 can no longer be called a mouse gun.

The small grips, long trigger pull, shot sight radius and tiny sights do make this pistol a bit difficult to master, but it is well worth the effort if you need a really small and light firearm.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Mine shoots well but really kicks the empties way out behind me. It has been a reliable gun so far for me. Steve48

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links