HELP! Ported S&W .38 sp +P.

This is a discussion on HELP! Ported S&W .38 sp +P. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bud's has a S&W Pro .38 sp + p at 15 oz. for $547.00. Anyone have experience with a .38, that has a 2" ported ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: HELP! Ported S&W .38 sp +P.

Bud's has a S&W Pro .38 sp + p at 15 oz. for $547.00. Anyone have experience with a .38, that has a 2" ported barrel? I never saw one listed before and am intrigued with it. I expect the porting would offset the light weight with .38 + p's. I'm thinking of this rather than a PM9, CM9 or Sig P290 for EDC. Opinions? Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Ported barrel for a SD handgun? No thanks.
    Secret Spuk, DRM and First Sgt like this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Ported barrel for a SD handgun? No thanks.
    i agree.....
    if fired from the hip or any place less than arms length you will blind and smoke yourself.
    and sure to start a fire if fired from inside a coat pocket.

and a firm grip is all thats needed for +P's anyways.
    id go to a heavier gun before considering porting of a carry gun.
    DRM and First Sgt like this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

If you just want the ported barrel for a July 4th evening show, great!
    If, however, you should need to use that revolver for SD, I hope that you won't have to shoot from retention.
    DRM likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

its loud, its bright, it does help with recoil, but due to the aforementioned it's no good for an SD gun.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

WHOOPS! LOOKS LIKE THIS IS A NO GO!! Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by Philly Boy; February 26th, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    IMO porting is fine for a range or hunting handgun, but a total waste of money on a defensive gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Magnaport International would be the only one I would ever consider but, none of my handguns are ported at this time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Magnaport International would be the only one I would ever consider but, none of my handguns are ported at this time.

^^^^^YAYYYYY^^^^^^^^^^^

Harrison Twp. Michigan!!!!!!!!

There was a thread a month ago that posed the same question.
    I'd skip it for sure.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Wow guess I am doomed to failure and made a poor choice for a revolver.

I have one and love mine. The muzzle flash from a snubbie with hot loads is massive in its own right the porting simply puts it to use to control the recoil. But to each his own I guess.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Guess I must be shooting squib rounds. My Taurus 851SSUL has a ported barrel (didn't care for it, but it had a better trigger than the snubs from that mom & pop shop in Springfield), and to date it still hasn't created a problem for me. In all honesty I haven't done any shooting in complete darkness, but the indoor ranges where I've shot are pretty dimly lit at the line. I have yet to see flames or even a noticeable flash erupting from the ports, certainly nothing that would interfere with a sight picture. No noticeable difference between standard .38 practice rounds, or +Ps. And I would no sooner have body parts close to the ports when firing the gun than I would have them near the cylinder gap.

Again, I didn't set out to buy a ported gun, and would have preferred unported, but I haven't seen any real downside (or benefit, either). I suspect that porting on a .357 mag snubby might indeed result in some interesting pyrotechnical displays.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sponsor

Lightbulb

We've done numerous hi-speed video studies of porting and you can clearly see the back of the H.P. bullet jacket where particles can flake off and send shrapnel up underneath your eye glasses.

test it for yourself. Just take a ported gun and place a piece of paper over the exhaust ports and pull the trigger. See what happens. Then place two or three more layers and try it. The muzzle blast alone could blind or at the very least take you out of the fight.

But if you want to get blinded from the flash at night and/or loose your eye sight in one or both eyes for good, go for it.

Shooting from retention is a reality and very likely to happen on the street.

Stay safe!
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

You ask I would walk away no reason to port a weapon like that.

VIP Member
    DRM the same particles you speak of would not magically disappear without a port they would still be there so would not the danger still be present.

Doing the same experiment the particles now with no ports would now go in all directions increasing the risk to the shooter. Yes firing from retention is a reality so for me I simply train with the ported gun and now at least the gases and whatever else can be directed away from me simply by rotating my grip outwards, but to each his own.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Sounds pefect to me... just tell the bad guy "look straight into barrel, and wait for the flash" bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links