3" 1911

This is a discussion on 3" 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to preface this by saying I'm not a competitive shooter, armorer, instructor or technical "expert" about guns. I have read the comments about ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By claude clay

Thread: 3" 1911

3" 1911

I want to preface this by saying I'm not a competitive shooter, armorer, instructor or technical "expert" about guns. I have read the comments about some 3" 1911s and I wanted to share my experience. I've been carrying and shooting the Colt New Agent for several months. (The one in my avatar as a matter of fact.)

This Colt is stock, no after market tweaks, parts, etc. (Except the grips.) I've been practicing weekly shooting an average of 100 rds of 230 gr FMJ and 25-50 rds of 230 gr JHP. No reloads. I only mentioned this so that you know what I'm basing my experience on. So my experience is based upon approx 2k plus rds. Not much at all.

Only shooting will provide me with the psychological belief that it will go bang and yes I understand that no weapon will be 100%. Thats why we should practice with snap caps to mimic FTF, etc.

As you know it has a trench style sight and is truly a point and shoot pistol. My groups have tightened as I learned how to use the trench sights. Use is sort of misleading. I don't aim with it, I use it to point with.

I'm now quite confident that it will go bang when I want it to. All of this to say that IMHO this is a reliable pistol. Not much of an endorsement coming from an old guy who only shot a few rds, but I wanted to share my experience. As always YMMV.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    good comments

and the trench works --understand that you present the gun in your eyesight every time you shoot it.
    so your 'brain' knows what it looks like--its profile, the way your hand is positioned--each time you pull the trigger.
    cojoin that with where the bullet goes and you are.....point shooting.

next time at the range with a IDPA cardboard size target look where you want the bullet to go and than 'let it happen'
    --draw and aim with your eyes, fire with your finger.

off by a little.....walk the rounds to where they need to be and fire the rest of the mag slowly.
    imprinting. reload and do some more. slowly. speed will come later

make your movements from the draw to fire deliberate. trust yourself.
    let us know.

good gun. i carried a defender for 10 years. rather miss it but i became arthritic.
    Olduser likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Good post.

Nice gun, nice grips also.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Nice post. What can you say; it's a Colt.

I EDC a 3" 1911. It's great with the sights, but it points like a dream. It's a confidence game.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My edc is.my 3" Kimber 1911. My bud has the 3" Springfield 1911. Lots rds down range with no issues either. The 3" 1911 is a great weapon.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Thanks for the insight, and perspective.

Its good that you have "proofed" the pistol, and know, at least by the sounds of it, that you are reasonably proficient with it, have confidence in it and are happy with it.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I like your 3" choice, nice conceal and they shoot well.

Nice gun...

I have also had a good experience with a 3 inch Colt 1911 - the Defender model. I've never had a failure to fire or eject through 1000 rounds. I think Colt knows how to make a 1911 in this barrel length. These guns are only 0.90 inches wide through the slide, and conceal very well. I'd like to try the New Agent model also.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Sponsor
    Sometimes "Less is More" when come to sights...

Glad it's working well for you.

Thanks for the report.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Your input is greatly appreciated.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the Talo New Agent in 9mm and have never had a failure of any kind. I agree, Colt makes a great 3 inch 1911.

Links