Kahr PM9 vs Kahr PM40

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 vs Kahr PM40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm at a point where I'm about to get a pocket autoloader. I've made up my mind that I am going to get a Kahr ...

View Poll Results: Kahr PM9 vs PM40

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kahr PM9

38 90.48%
  • Kahr PM40

4 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr PM9 vs Kahr PM40

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

Kahr PM9 vs Kahr PM40

I'm at a point where I'm about to get a pocket autoloader. I've made up my mind that I am going to get a Kahr PM gun. I've narrowed it down two. Even though it is not a deal breaker, I am taking into account that I have much .40 stocked and only one box of 9mm in my stash.

Because of the ammo situation, I'm leaning towards a PM40. The pro is that I already keep the ammo. The cons are that it is .04 inch wider and .05 inch longer and has a five round mag. I'm also somewhat concerned about the reliability issue due to .40's flat nose rounds.

Because of the size, I'm thinking about about a PM9. The pros are that it is .04 inch slimmer and .05 inch shorter and has a six round mag. The con is that I don't currently keep 9mm ammo.

More or less while writing this, I've talked myself into a PM9. However, I'd like to know what DC thinks.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Personally I think I'd opt for the PM9 also. Dimensions of the guns aside, the PM9 will be a softer shooting gun. The snap of the .40 recoil wouldn't be much fun in something that size.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Try controlling a PM40 in rapid fire with one hand.

Nope.

PM9.

Or, save some bucks and get the CM9.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I like the PM9 and never shot the 40. I like the size and I think the recoil is mild. Look at this way about your inventory. If you by the PM9 then you will no longer have a problem being short of 9mm ammo

VIP Member
    I voted for the 9mm.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I would go with a 9mm if you look at ballistics with the 3" barrel there is no much difference, ammo is less expensive, less recoil.
    genauwiedu likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I had both of those in the past; the PM9 was definitely more controlable even though I shot +P ammunition in it.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    The PM/CM 40 is snappy, all right, and it requires more practice for fast splits. I recommend the 9, but I carry the 40 as a BUG. It is the smallest, decent trigger, pocket rocket 40 on the market. Recoil is similar to that of my 3" 1911 EDC. My Rohrbaugh R9 is even easier to pocket.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Good luck with that. If they are like mine was you're gonna need it.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I'd have to agree with 10thmtn on the CM9. Recently, I was in the same boat, but I was tossing up the CM9 & the Ruger LC9. The CM9 won out because the reviews were just as good as the PM9 & LC9, the price was a lot better than the PM9 AND Kahr had a promotion going where they threw in an extra 7 round magazine. After several hundred break in rounds of White Box, reloads & personal defense ammo, the gun still runs smooth without problems. I added a CT laser just because these older eyes aren't what they used to be (and CT was offering a free pocket holster with the purchase - and batteries for life). The only bad review I saw on the CM9 was jamming of rounds in the magazine. I experienced this a bit also, BUT once I reverted to my habit of loading the mag to one round less than max capacity, and rapping it against my palm to seat the rounds properly against the back of the mag, then topping it off, this problem has not reoccurred. As far as recoil, shooting a whole box of reloads at a single session was not a problem for me, and I am of average physical characterictics.

I usually stick to the big names, but I needed something a bit lighter for summer carry than my Sig P245, and I am glad of the decision - much more so than the NAA 380 Guardian I bought for my daughter a while back!

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I'm at a point where I'm about to get a pocket autoloader. I've made up my mind that I am going to get a Kahr PM gun. I've narrowed it down two. Even though it is not a deal breaker, I am taking into account that I have much .40 stocked and only one box of 9mm in my stash.

Because of the ammo situation, I'm leaning towards a PM40. The pro is that I already keep the ammo. The cons are that it is .04 inch wider and .05 inch longer and has a five round mag. I'm also somewhat concerned about the reliability issue due to .40's flat nose rounds.

Because of the size, I'm thinking about about a PM9. The pros are that it is .04 inch slimmer and .05 inch shorter and has a six round mag. The con is that I don't currently keep 9mm ammo.

More or less while writing this, I've talked myself into a PM9. However, I'd like to know what DC thinks.

The bold is why I carry my CM9 over my PM40.. IMO, not much difference between the two if you can hit what you aim at, and the 9mm gives ya one more shot at it over the .40.. YMMV
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Look at this way about your inventory. If you by the PM9 then you will no longer have a problem being short of 9mm ammo
    Heh. This isn't a great time to be stocking up on a new caliber! But it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Or, save some bucks and get the CM9.
    I reckon I'm going to get a PM9 with night sights unless something changes my mind between now and Tuesday when I order it. I'm getting this on a Kahr's dealer employee discount and most of it is a gift from the dealer that I work for. I'll get the better one.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I reckon I'm going to get a PM9 with night sights unless something changes my mind between now and Tuesday when I order it. I'm getting this on a Kahr's dealer employee discount and most of it is a gift from the dealer that I work for. I'll get the better one.
    I got my PM9 via Kahr's instructor sales program at a significant discount as well. If that is available to you, then I agree - get the PM9 instead of the CM version.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have unlimited access to .40 ammo at work, so I weighed the same decision and got the PM9. I prefer the dimensions and lessened recoil, plus the extra round capability (but I prefer the 6 round mag for carry).

I love the PM9 - if you can go with it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have a CM9 and it is a good pocket/small pistol. This size is controlable in 9mm. I have only shot one .40 caliber Kahr the MK40, it was to much for me. That model
    is heavier than the PM40. and still had a snappy recoil!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links