Defensive Carry banner

What handgun calibers do you not have an interest in owning?

3K views 39 replies 34 participants last post by  JoeFriday 
#1 ·
I don't really have any thing against the main handgun calibers. I suppose all will do the job with proper shot placement, so this is not intended to be a debate on ballistics or stopping power. Things can change when it comes time to put money down on the table and take one home to add to the stable, so what would you not put your money down for?

As far as calibers that are of no interest now:
38 special - 357 mag, etc. Just have never been a revolver guy.
10mm
357 Sig
45 acp

All have their merits and are not bad rounds, but all three of the semi-auto rounds are on the higher end of the ammo price scale, and I like to shoot. There's just not enough of a following on the 10mm and 357 Sig to have decent ammo prices. 45 acp is a maybe in the future, but I don't have an immediate need. 10mm is a maybe in the future if the ammo availability and prices came down. If I want 357 Sig, I can just drop a 357 Sig barrel in my G23 and use the 40 mags, so adding one wouldn't be too expensive, but it would just cost more to shoot.

As far as calibers that are of no interest ever:
45 gap

Still haven't understood what it brings to the table over the other calibers.

See less See more
#4 ·

All the others intrigue me, including .454 Casull, but for which I have no immediate need.

#5 ·
Timely.. I have been sort of changing, trading and selling to narrow my hurd. I've started narrowing my collection so as to keep ammo in check. Right now I have .380 (1 piece) 38/357 (5 pieces) 9mm (1piece).40 (2 pieces) .45 (1 piece) .44 (1 piece) and .223/5.56 (2 pieces) and lastly one 7.62x54r.

I intend to change the 9mm (G26) to a .40 G27. I'll probaly change the .380 to a 9mm or .40. (Or move that to .357)

If I can keep my down ammo to, .9mm, .40, .45, .223/5.56 and 12ga. I would be happy. Replacing the .380 [LCP] with a Kahr in 9mm or .40 would be a good option for me. The 7.62x54r is for a M9130 that I don't really intend to shoot so that is moot. All of .38s witht he exception of 2 will do .357 so in the long run, I could replace the .380 ammo for .357.

In the long term I'd like to have, .223, .38, .357, .40, .45, and 12ga. As for the .44S&W / 44 Mag. I guess it will be a safe piece or maybe something to take into the woods of eastern Kentucky.

To each his own though...

#6 · (Edited)
Hard to say based on handguns on hand. I love guns and it's huge fun to play with cartridges at the loading bench.

There's at least one handgun in the menagerie chambered for each of the following cartridges.

.22 Short
.22 Long Rifle
.25 ACP
7.62 Nagant
.32 ACP
.32 Long Colt
.32 S&W Long
.32-20
.380 ACP
9mm
.38 S&W
.38 Long Colt
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.38-40
.41 Long Colt
.41 Magnum
.44 Special
.44 Magnum
.45 ACP
.45 Auto Rim
.45 Colt
.455 Webley

Though it's used more often than many of the others from the above list, the single least interesting cartridge to me is the 9mm. It and the .32 ACP are more interesting because of some of the pistols that featured them than they are from a ballistics standpoint.

Other cartridges I'd really like to play with.

.327 Magnum Looks like a handloaders dream for tinkering.
.38 Super (9X23 and .357 SIG would be a good substitute). Everything the 9mm is cracked up to be but really isn't.
.40 S&W What a useful ideal for a gap in the semi-auto pistol cartridge line-up!
10mm The .40 S&W on steroids. Would have been given the sobriquet "Magnum" if it'd been developed in the 1935-1965 time period.
.44-40 Would be entertaining in a Colt Single Action revolver or in an original 19th century Smith & Wesson top-break revolver.

Cartridges for which I have no interest.

5.7X28 An overrated tossing of bullets weighing as much as mosquito legs.
9X18 Falling between .380 and 9mm, a niche that didn't need to be filled.
.410 shot shell chambered revolvers. Not even a good intellectual exercise to attempt to justify!
.45 GAP A silly and unnecessary round.
.454 Casull Unnecessarily exceeds .44 Magnum.
.460 S&W Too much of a good thing.
.50AE The artillery's too unwieldy to shoot this big boy.
.500 S&W Way too much of a good thing. I'm not interested in any handgun more powerful than .44 Magnum nor do I care for outright rifle rounds adapted to specialty handguns like Thompson Center's Contender or goofy bolt action "handguns."

#7 ·
If its not listed below I'm not interested in it...yet perhaps. I do have a .22 for cans and kids.

.45acp
12ga

So many loads just for these cals that if I really tried my little office would look like an ammo depot! (at least for me) I'm sniffing around looking for a used reloading set-up as this is now becoming interesting and maybe will help with the costs of shooting. I say maybe as I think I will have to shoot a lot to take advantage of any cost savings. This aside, its another skill set to learn. :image035:

#8 ·
the 45 gap exists cause M. Glock wanted a cartrage named after him and justified it for that one person in 10,000 (or more...) who HAD to have that gun and the 2mm less front strap to back grip size has the gun to fit their hand. LFD

i like and re-load pret near everything bmc does and feel the same. 9mm cause it brought the H&K P7 and 32's in vaarious forms cause they are darn fun to shoot--and accurate!!

my Colt 32 Long 6" Target D.A. is pure joy to shoot. it will be 93 next month

#14 ·
never was a fan of .40 and I don't own one.

Reactions: genauwiedu
#31 ·
that the SIG P239/40 exists is sufficient unto me

very few makes/models blend:

accuracy--under 3" at 25 yards
control--balance, natural pointability,weight is middle of the pack ~28 oz
power--the 180 gr moves out at the same speed as a 180gr out of a 45acp of similar bbl length
concealability--slim and a commander length grip
capacity--8
versability--drop in a 357 Sig bbl or a 9mm conversion using the same magazines and bbl spring
priced about $200 more than a glock
can be had with or without a de-cockerand
and...its easy on the eyes--stainless on top of deep blue

heck.....im gonna go get another

#16 ·
I own many from 22 to 45 long colt in hand guns
The 45 Long Colt was just one of those deals it is really of no use. I would not for myself buy any over a 45 ACP or any 25 or 32's again of not real use to me.
The ones I like 38,9mm,357, 45. Seem to be of the most use to me. I plan to add a couple more 357's and always up for another 45.

#17 ·
.25 acp, 357 mag/sig, 41 mag, 500 S&W, 5.7, ___ Colt

I could see a justification for the 45 GAP, until Glock makes a 21 with interchangeable backstraps - a small diff in size can make a big difference in feel. Not knocking any of those except the 25 and 5.7, just other cartridges I think handle things better, especially if you reload and not really into reblobers. I'd get a .32 or 380 long before the .25 in about the same size gun. ICE realized their mistake with the 5.7, no sense in repeating it. I'd get a 10mm before I got another 357 mag or sig or a 41 mag and then would step up to a 460 S&W if I wanted bigger (yeah, I know it's a revolver) and so no 500. Not into history that much, so no interest in the __ Colt cartridges.

#18 ·
I'm not interested in any calibers i don't already have.

I don't want to start stocking any more brass and bullets than I have right now, and I don't want to have to re-organize my ammo cabinet AGAIN!

#25 ·
I don't really have any thing against the main handgun calibers. I suppose all will do the job with proper shot placement, so this is not intended to be a debate on ballistics or stopping power. Things can change when it comes time to put money down on the table and take one home to add to the stable, so what would you not put your money down for?

As far as calibers that are of no interest now:
38 special - 357 mag, etc. Just have never been a revolver guy.
10mm
357 Sig
45 acp

All have their merits and are not bad rounds, but all three of the semi-auto rounds are on the higher end of the ammo price scale, and I like to shoot. There's just not enough of a following on the 10mm and 357 Sig to have decent ammo prices. 45 acp is a maybe in the future, but I don't have an immediate need. 10mm is a maybe in the future if the ammo availability and prices came down. If I want 357 Sig, I can just drop a 357 Sig barrel in my G23 and use the 40 mags, so adding one wouldn't be too expensive, but it would just cost more to shoot.

As far as calibers that are of no interest ever:
45 gap

Still haven't understood what it brings to the table over the other calibers.
Over the years, I've been intrigued, bewildered, and amazed at some of the calibers that have come about. I've had first hand experience with many. I also like to stick with the basics overall. There has never been a caliber that didn't interest me at first (before weighing the options, benefits, and costs).
The 45GAP was created mainly as a 45ACP round that would fit a standard frame Glock pistol. Standard meaning the average frame associated with 9mm, 357SIG, 40S&W, etc.... Standard, compact and sub-compact models. To me...this one actually made sense for the cause, but for the cost and availability of ammo to the public...it didn't pursue it. I also took great interest in the 10mm and the science behind it. However.......any of my choices to change or adopt a new cartridge for carry pretty much went back to the basics. 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP. If there was a do it all caliber I would have saved a lot of money over the years on pistols and ammo. You also must realize I've been down many roads that others have not. When questioned specifically as to which calibers I would never consider owning..............a lot depends on where and who I am. Consider pepper spray or a small caliber handgun for self protection.......which would you rather have? Truth be known, I'd be more than happy with most calibers available these days if that's all I had. I'm getting up in years and the hand to hand combat is waning with my will. Anything is better than nothing when a dirt bag wants to take your life for little or nothing. At this point in life, I won't rule anything out as a good means of survival. So long as your "interests" include living, there's not much that should be ruled out.

#26 ·
I have no interest in:

- .17HMR
- 7.62 Nagant
- .357 SIG
- .45 GAP
- .40 S&W
- .50AE
- . 44 Magnum, but I do want to get a .44 Special
- .500 S&W

I'm sure I missed a few exotic calibers.

I used to think there would be no way I would have a .25 but then I got handle a Colt 1908 and that opinion changed. I used to think .32 was out, but the Seecamp .32 and Colt 1903 interest me. .380 was a no-go but I do think there is a place for the LCP. In short, I used to think mouse guns were a bunch of hooey, but now I see that they have a purpose or at least a historical role that's intriguing.

#27 ·
I'm more interested in defensive calibers and the .22 for cheap volume, but I'll shoot anything. I guess if I had to eliminate any it would be .25 auto and .45 GAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.