Range Report -- Kahr PM9 9mm sub-compact (ongoing)

This is a discussion on Range Report -- Kahr PM9 9mm sub-compact (ongoing) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, I'm curious if you resolved your PM9 problems. Mine's never had a FTF, but I've had difficulty loading the first round in. Sometimes it ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range Report -- Kahr PM9 9mm sub-compact (ongoing)

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Yes, I'm curious if you resolved your PM9 problems. Mine's never had a FTF, but I've had difficulty loading the first round in. Sometimes it doesn't want to lock forward. It's never had a problem though other than that & it's not as accurate as I would've hoped.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

2. Remove Ads

Not yet. Kahr still has it in the shop. Which reminds me that it's time for me to call and check on progress, again. It had better come back and feed the first 200rds reliably, else it's outta here. And then it had better be stellar over the next 500-1000, else it's outta here. Can't be relying on something that can't be relied upon. I'd love nothing more than to have it work well, since it is such a compact and handy package.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just got the PM9 back from Kahr. The extractor and various springs were replaced, plus the ramp and extractor edges were polished. We'll see if this does anything for the reliability. I love the PM9's fit and balance in the hand, even when shooting extremely hot 9mm DoubleTap loads (511 ft-lbs in 4" barrel pistol). Hopefully it will do well.

CCW9MM, I hope all works out well for you. My PM9 has always been tight too. Usually when I hand rack a round into the chamber you have to use quite a bit of push and pull with the slide or it won't chamber the round and hangs up like you said. However, I have not had any FTF or FTE's while at the range, and I have about 500 rounds through it. Anyways, good luck.

I'm glad I found this thread, as I'm contemplating a Kahr for my next pistol.

Sooooo, it's been many weeks now, what the rest of the story?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post

The new Kahr probably works fine and the owner of it is too busy shooting to complain about it.

I have a PM9 that I love. There are some issues with Kahr that make them different from all the other autoloaders I may carry.
    1) Kahrs like lubrication (I can't stress this enough)
    2) Kahrs should be loaded by depressing the slide lock
    3) Kahrs are fun to shoot (All guns are)

Biker

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Wow Biker! I didn't know about #2. So much for my "problem." It was always rectified by slapping the mag, but I just use the slide release to load & voila... !

My issue with my PM9 is that the trigger pull's so long, like my S&W 442 & practically no reset. At with my Glock, the reset's very short after the first shot & it's not a very long pull, either. Not necessarily complaining, I learned how to shoot handguns with a revolver, so there was no SA after the first shot.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
    Am dealing with some medical issues. That and the holidays have put a ding in my range time. Acquiring a couple of rifles, as well, has taken up some time. So. The PM9 has returned from Kahr but has not yet been hammered at the range to validate the reliability issues. Once I head back to the range, I will certainly update the thread.

Hope you get better soon - your range reports are excellent reading!

CCW9mm,

Heal up and get well soon. I miss your writing. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Biker

Question CCW9mm?

Any more to add on the Kahr P9 thread? I'm on the verge of buying a pocket auto, but am having trouble with a decision. The kel-tec's seem to need the buyer to finish off the manufacturing process with a "fluff & buff" of all the parts. I've heard that the Kahr's physical design is asymetrical with the feed ramp, not centered, but angled slightly off to the side to leave room for the trigger bar. That would be consistent with FTF's. Have you tried to polish the feed ramp and see if it makes any difference?

The G26 and the XD9 subcompact are not easier to carry than the service models, but smaller autos don't seem to be reliable. Am I stuck carrying my J frame??

Kahr CW9

Looking for a CCW, and was just about to buy a S&W snubbie when I was shown the the Kahr CW9 ---I had heard that Kahr's were great, I liked the feel and concealability of the CW9, and since I shoot 9mm in IDPA, I had some ammo for it....

I had stayed away from the Kahr because of cost and because of my Glock addiction...I bought the CW9, and am completely pleased with it so far...I only have about 200 rounds through it, but it has not had any failures of any sort. It is really accurate, the trigger pull is long, but that may be a virtue, and I am carrying it in a Fobus 21-B holster (recommended by one of the writers whose articles appear on the Kahr site)---

There are two other guys I know whose experience with the CW9 is the same as mine...they have had no problems at all...I'm glad, because I bought the weapon before I researched it, not the norm for me, so I was more than a little anxious.
    One interesting fact I uncovered is that the Kahr company is owned by the Moonies, whatever that is worth...
    "Moon's fourth son, Kook Jin "Justin" Moon founded Kahr Arms, a small-arms company based in Blauvelt, New York with a factory in Worcester, Massachusetts" Wikipedia

I bought my pm9 about 3 weeks ago and I love it.

When I first got it I field stripped it to clean it and boy was I glad I did. It was filthy. Everything fit REAL tight and was almost difficult to re-assemble.

According to Kahr, I needed to fire at least 200 rounds through it to consider it reliable, so off I went. I put 300 rounds of CCI Blazer 115 gr. fmj and 20 Speer 124 gr. +p short barrel through it.

My hands were not pleased, it did take a toll, but I did not have a single problem. Worked flawlessly and by the time I was done the gun was so smooth.

When I took it home to clean it, it was like a different gun. Everything fit so much better and operated so much easier.

i love my CW9. i've got about 300 rounds through it with no failures at all. just some initial accuracy issues that turned out to be my fault. it's a great gun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links