Colt 1911 not working as expected. Neither is Glock

This is a discussion on Colt 1911 not working as expected. Neither is Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading all the bad stuff about 1911s in the " 1911s suck" thread, I thought I would run mine this morning in my local ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Colt 1911 not working as expected. Neither is Glock

After reading all the bad stuff about 1911s in the " 1911s suck" thread, I thought I would run mine this morning in my local IDPA competition. Well something went terribly wrong; I won. Even with my cobbled up reloads, using the dirtiest powder since, well, dirt, it went thru 200 rounds without a hiccup. Despite numerous speed draws from the holster, some without the fireing grip I desired, I could not even get the damn grip safety to fail to engage! Surely something is dramatically wrong here, as mine is a plain jane Colt Goverment Model, with all original parts, with 2 factory 8 round mags and Wilson 47Ds. It is not feasible that all the people so much against this platform could be so full of it?

So, not wanting to leave well enough alone, I took my remaining reloads to an indoor range, and now with an absolute filthy gun, hoped to get at least a bobble of some kind.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

After reading all the bad stuff about 1911s in the " 1911s suck" thread, I thought I would run mine this morning in my local IDPA competition. Well something went terribly wrong; I won. Even with my cobbled up reloads, using the dirtiest powder since, well, dirt, it went thru 200 rounds without a hiccup. Despite numerous speed draws from the holster, some without the fireing grip I desired, I could not even get the damn grip safety to fail to engage! Surely something is dramatically wrong here, as mine is a plain jane Colt Goverment Model, with all original parts, with 2 factory 8 round mags and Wilson 47Ds. It is not feasible that all the people so much against this platform could be so full of it?

So, not wanting to leave well enough alone, I took my remaining reloads to an indoor range, and now with an absolute filthy gun, hoped to get at least a bobble of some kind.

one very dirty gun, mags, and reloads

Target at the magic 7 yards

50 shots on paper. Errant shots have got to be the damn 1911s fault!

I tried one handed, weak hand, and limp wrist to get it to malfunction. It didnt.

To be fair, I shot the G19, a Gen 2 model. I had just installed TFOs on it, so the first shots to the left show where it was off. The centered shots are after adjusting them. It did have a light primer strike, which I attribute to the ammo, ( but ******, lets blame the gun!)

Whodathunkit? Neither gun would choke. Could it be that there is more to all of this misguided hoopla than the BS that has been stated as gospel?
    Me thinks so
    Guest1, pistola, Tzadik and 3 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Congrats on the win and I am truly glad you have a pistol that performs to expectations.

Way to go g-man! Obviously your box-stock Colt must be one of the few that exist in this solar system that function as Mr. Browning intended. Beyond that, though, I'm reminded of the saying that "it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools." Seems to me you're quite the craftsman who would have done well with any decent tool.

Facing my first 'big' match tomorrow, myself... and I'd be happier than a pig in mud if I scored in the top half, never mind getting close to winning. Stock Springer TRP, Wilson mags and home-brew ammo - pretty close to your setup.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I can hardly believe it! A 1911 going that long without a malfunction? Impossible!

You're putting us on.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yea Gman! Want to read more on this thread but have to get to the gun show just now.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Nice shooting, and congrats on the win! My fathers Remington Rand GI spec was my favorite pistol growing up. It never ceased to go bang, and I shot it better than the other various handguns in his collection. I think the .45 is what is going to get me to start reloading in the coming months.

Were you wearing your field jacket? Nice shooting!

VIP Member
    You better send that defective Colt back. After all the "expert" says they suck, so you know they have to!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats on the win Gman, I'm sure it was well deserved..

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Gman, something has to be wrong with that gun, well both of them really.

The Colt is shooting low left and the G19 didn't put them all through the same dime sized hole.

Man you gotta work on that, don't matter whether you won or not this a.m., I can still see the center bullseye in the target.

Congrats on the win and tight groupings on the pics.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Mine doesn't work either. It runs fine as well. I will say that mine doesn't throw 'em as tight as yours, Glockman. Since yours groups so much tighter than mine, and mine groups a LOT looser than yours, maybe yours is missing the inherent inaccuracy that 1911s are known for. Sorry you got such a lemon.

Been running that Colt for a year or two, have you?

VIP Member
    Geezch, I just woke up from my nap. I was dreaming I won the IDPA in the Special Olympics, in spite of all the grip safety malfunctions. Now I have another drill I have to learn. If I'm scared enough, my grip will be tight enough.

Congrats 10mm. Nice shooting. If it's not Bush's fault, blame the ammo.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    ...If I'm scared enough, my grip will be tight enough.
    Actually a strong, high grip with the thumb over the thumb safety is what causes the problem, at least for me.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Actually a strong, high grip with the thumb over the thumb safety is what causes the problem, at least for me.
    Exactly.

Plus the thumb over safety can adversely torque the gun as the safety tries to bruise the thumb. I got the T-shirt for that in the '70's.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links