S&w 380 - Page 2

S&w 380

This is a discussion on S&w 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At $150 I would buy it, and my BG380 is on its way back to the factory for the second time....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: S&w 380

At $150 I would buy it, and my BG380 is on its way back to the factory for the second time.

at one fifty I would buy it, period. I love my bodyguard, easy to carry, reliable, fits my large hand well. I pocket carry daily, in jeans. It does bite a little when shooting, but I have found it to be decently accurate at short range. The trigger is l...o...n...g and will require much practice to master. Good luck.

after shooting my PPK and Ruger LCP this weekend, I'd much prefer the PPK. The Ruger shoots but is definitely better for a BUG. For $150, buy it but you may find it not so nice to shoot.
    Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    I'm grateful for all the experienced advice. I talked to my old friend who is trying to sell it just now, and we agreed to a price. It is new, and he wants $150 for it. I can't turn that down. The reviews are varied, but like some said, if I don't like it I can sell it for what I paid. We're meeting this Friday for a fish fry and gun sale. Thanks for all the advice-I sincerely appreciate it.
    I have one, and it has run 100%, but, being a little gun, with a short sight radius, and a pretty crappy trigger pull, it is the most difficult gun I own to shoot accurately. That said, after some practice, at 15 yards, with the iron sights, keeping them all in the 0 of an IDPA target is doable, with the laser, head shots are doable, but, the trigger really takes some practice!

If you decide you don't like it, let me know and maybe I'll buy it for my wife.

I took my wife to the range to shoot my Sig P238 and Beretta PX4 Storm. While at the range, she decided to rent the Bodyguard 380. She probably fired around 18 rounds then tapped my shoulder and said "Here, it's your turn. I don't want to shoot this one anymore. I wanna shoot the Sig because it shoots like the Beretta". In other words, she didn't like the harsh recoil of the Bodyguard. I noticed the laser was a bit difficult to turn on and off at times. On the plus side, I did think the weight was pretty good if anyone wanted to conceal carry it.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

The only issue with me is the haaarrrddd trigger pull. It took awhile to find the sweet spot where my finger contacts the trigger for the most consistent pull. For me, I have to pull with the fingertip pad. Any lower, I can't get the leverage. It is not fun for me to shoot compared with my XD or 1911, but I am committed to it, as it is an absolutely perfect conceal for me in a Crossbreed MiniTuck. It's almost exclusively my EDC. PS-I don't use the safety or the laser.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

I love my bodyguard. I think the trigger pull is more consistent than the LCP. I love the fact that it actually has sights. The safety can be difficult to disengage, so I carry with it off. I don't use the laser, but I would have bought the gun without it. Also, something that no one has pointed out yet (unless I missed it), is that the bodyguard has second strike capability... if the primer doesn't pop the first time on the LCP or P3AT, you're screwed...

I actually tried my safety yesterday on my .380 Bodyguard. My gosh, if I did have the safety on, and need the gun to defend myself, I'd be dead before I could get it off!

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I bought a bodyguard last year and love it, I has never had a failure, eats all ammo feed to it... and the laser is accurate, I carry it in my back pocket... very comfortable, and I would buy another especially at half price,,, If you dont buy it let me know I'll get another ...
    Prentice likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

My Bodyguard .380 has been perfectly reliable as a BUG to my EDC Glock 23, although I wish I had gone with the Bodyguard .38 since .38 Special ballistics are superior to .380 ACP. That being said, the chances of having to use a BUG as a civilian are astronomical, and I really only carry it for peace of mind.

I would never use this gun as a main, mostly because .380 ACP is a subpar caliber. Also, the long, heavy trigger pull makes accurate follow up shots rather slow.

If you are looking to carry a BUG caliber handgun as a main, I'd suggest going with a .38 Special. The Bodyguard .38 or a J-frame are excellent options.

[Source: BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums ]

P.S. The laser is pretty much useless, as you aren't going to have enough time to turn it on if you need to fire the weapon.

P.P.S I pocket carry the BG .380 in a Remora holster with the safety off. Ammo used is the 80 gr. COR-BON DPX.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    My Bodyguard .380 has been perfectly reliable as a BUG to my EDC Glock 23, although I wish I had gone with the Bodyguard .38 since .38 Special ballistics are superior to .380 ACP. That being said, the chances of having to use a BUG as a civilian are astronomical, and I really only carry it for peace of mind.

I would never use this gun as a main, mostly because .380 ACP is a subpar caliber. Also, the long, heavy trigger pull makes accurate follow up shots rather slow.

If you are looking to carry a BUG caliber handgun as a main, I'd suggest going with a .38 Special. The Bodyguard .38 or a J-frame are excellent options.

[Source: BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums ]

P.S. The laser is pretty much useless, as you aren't going to have enough time to turn it on if you need to fire the weapon.

P.P.S I pocket carry the BG .380 in a Remora holster with the safety off. Ammo used is the 80 gr. COR-BON DPX.
    I just ordered some buffalo bore +p for my bodyguard 380 because I was a little worried about the low performance of this round. I have not shot it yet but it looks good on paper. I got the 100 grain hard cast and the 90 grain Speer gold dot. I will post back how they shot when I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by SandWMandP View Post
    I just ordered some buffalo bore +p for my bodyguard 380 because I was a little worried about the low performance of this round. I have not shot it yet but it looks good on paper. I got the 100 grain hard cast and the 90 grain Speer gold dot. I will post back how they shot when I get them.
    - I carry the Buffalo Bore +P .380ACP round in my Kahr P380. It's definitely a handful compared to other .380ACP rounds.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by RH45 View Post
    I actually tried my safety yesterday on my .380 Bodyguard. My gosh, if I did have the safety on, and need the gun to defend myself, I'd be dead before I could get it off!
    You don't need the safety on the BG380. Its trigger pull is safety enough (along with rule #3).

Quote Originally Posted by sdcromer View Post
    You don't need the safety on the BG380. Its trigger pull is safety enough (along with rule #3).
    Agreed. The safety is a non-issue. You can use it if it makes you feel better. The long trigger pull is all you really need (I also have a p380 with no safety and I am perfectly content to carry with one in the chamber). That being said, I much prefer the Kahr trigger

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Edit: FWIW, I've recently switched from the COR-BON DPX to the 95 gr. Winchester White Box Flat Nose FMJ to meet penetration requirements.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links