S&w 380

This is a discussion on S&w 380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going to pick it up tonight, but the weather has other ideas. So Sunday, on my way back from a concert in Milwaukee ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: S&w 380

I was going to pick it up tonight, but the weather has other ideas. So Sunday, on my way back from a concert in Milwaukee I'm going to meet my old friend and do the deal. Will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all the experienced advice.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know if any of the shops in the Milwaukee area stock them, but, I put one of these on mine, and really like it!

Tactical Grip Glove Slip-On Grip Sleeve S&W Bodyguard Rubber Black

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    If you don't buy it have the owner contact me!

I'll take it in a heartbeat!

I bought my wife one and we both love it. It's extremely accurate and dependable and I've been wanting one for myself for quite awhile. I just don't have an extra $400. But, I would gladly do $200-$300 on a BG380!

Put 200 rounds through mine including; hornady CD, PDX1, Corbon JHP. Smooth as butter.

Just got one last week! I love it, trigger pull is long but I like it. Everyone complains about the laser, I guess they have issues with pushing a button, as I see no problem with it at all. Kick is not that bad either. I love this gun!!!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    I've got an opportunity to buy a new 380 Bodyguard for about half price...
    If it seems too good to be true, it probably is (to coin a phrase)

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    ...I know nothing of this gun....
    I see by your latest posting I'm probably too late, but here goes...

This latest generation of sub-compact .380's, not only S&W's .380 Bodyguard, but also Keltec's P-3AT, Ruger's Keltec knockoff LCP, and even Kahr's pricey P380 all have reliability issues, despite what you may read to the contrary from their fanboys. Buying a new one is a enough of a crapshoot, so buying a used one is probably just buying someone else's troubles. However, since you're buying from a friend, it may be a good one (But he should let you put 100 rounds through it at your expense first.)

I had a long, frustrating, ammunition-expensive (1200+rounds) experience with two Kahr P380's (my original purchase, and a factory replacement). Fellow active and retired LEO's (as well as civilian friends) have had similar frustrations with their .380 Rugers, Keltecs and Bodyguards. The cop-shop where I buy has returned numerous Kahrs, S&W, and Rugers with reliability issues (They don't sell Keltecs).

Until the "State of the Art" of the compact .380 improves, I'd advise getting a good .38 snub instead.
    Last edited by Glockwatcher; March 4th, 2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Odds are that your wife will not wnat to shoot it. It is a light gun with a considerable amount of recoil. The small size makes it uncomfortable to hold while target shooting. You will not go to the range and enjoy putting 50 rounds in paper one after the other. the laser is not easy to turn on but you can use either hand to do it and if you practice the draw and laser activation together, you can get it down pretty fast.

On the plus side, it is really easy to carry and conceal and it's a lot better than taking a knife to a gun fight.
    AGREED!! Friend at work bought one. not worth the money to be honest. Highly inaccurate and using the laser makes it worse. Has a very long trigger pull, a lot of recoil and I would never use this as my daily carry.

Quote Originally Posted by rays197 View Post
    AGREED!! Friend at work bought one. not worth the money to be honest. Highly inaccurate and using the laser makes it worse. Has a very long trigger pull, a lot of recoil and I would never use this as my daily carry.
    I bought one a while back, and think that with the laser, it's a pretty decent deal, but, as stated, it takes some practice to activate it on the draw.
    I believe the gun has the potential to be very accurate, but, being such a little gun, with such a tough trigger pull, I have to work at it to consistently make headshots at 15 yards with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post
    If it seems too good to be true, it probably is (to coin a phrase)

I see by your latest posting I'm probably too late, but here goes...

This latest generation of sub-compact .380's, not only S&W's .380 Bodyguard, but also Keltec's P-3AT, Ruger's Keltec knockoff LCP, and even Kahr's pricey P380 all have reliability issues, despite what you may read to the contrary from their fanboys. Buying a new one is a enough of a crapshoot, so buying a used one is probably just buying someone else's troubles. However, since you're buying from a friend, it may be a good one (But he should let you put 100 rounds through it at your expense first.)

I had a long, frustrating, ammunition-expensive (1200+rounds) experience with two Kahr P380's (my original purchase, and a factory replacement). Fellow active and retired LEO's (as well as civilian friends) have had similar frustrations with their .380 Rugers, Keltecs and Bodyguards. The cop-shop where I buy has returned numerous Kahrs, S&W, and Rugers with reliability issues (They don't sell Keltecs).

Until the "State of the Art" of the compact .380 improves, I'd advise getting a good .38 snub instead.
    I can see your frustration with the lack of quality. However through my research before purchasing and advice from my gun shop is that any 380 will have issues after 1000 rounds, they are not designed to take to the range and plink with it. It's designed for carry weight and conceal ability. Not a range gun or recreation gun. Imo it is designed for a specific purpose and nothing else and the bg380 serves that purpose. So to the OP you may want to find out how many rounds have been through the gun and take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Poorcupcake View Post
    However through my research before purchasing and advice from my gun shop is that any 380 will have issues after 1000 rounds, they are not designed to take to the range and plink with it. It's designed for carry weight and conceal ability. Not a range gun or recreation gun. Imo it is designed for a specific purpose and nothing else and the bg380 serves that purpose.
    Can you give an example of what the issues your LGS is talking about? It takes a few hundred rounds to "break" a gun in (or, so I thought). Then, I have to regularly practice with it (not plink) to get and stay familiar with the long pull and drawing from my holster choice. By now, I've run a 1000+ through so now I'm back at the beginning? Is your LGS saying my BG380 is pretty useless now? Hubby has a Bersa Thunder 380 - same scenario. Not sure I'm buying your LGS's assessment of 380's.
    Carpe Diem

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    Not sure I'm buying your LGS's assessment of 380's.
    Completely agree. I have a Kahr p380. Over 600 rounds an recently changed recoil spring and replaced magazines and it continues to work well

I had the BG 380 and it was just one failure after another. After 2 trips to SW it still was not reliable and I ended up selling it, throwing in more money and got the Sig 238. Love the Sig, no problems, no failures, shoots everything, easy to carry. It is a little heavier than the BG 380, but it is accurate and reliable.

Problem with the S&W BodyGuard 380

A friend of mine just purchased a S&W Bodyguard 380. We took it to the range and ran 30 rounds through it before it stopped firing! I thought at first it was a misfire, but realized the slide would not retract 100% so the rounds could not be loaded into the chamber.
    Well, after taking it to a gunsmith, the problem was a laser retaining screw! It backed itself out and blocked the slide from fully retracting. The serial number is in the mid 2000's.
    After this experience I am so glad I have a Diamondback DB380!! It has not failed me ever.

Quote Originally Posted by NikonMan View Post
    A friend of mine just purchased a S&W Bodyguard 380. We took it to the range and ran 30 rounds through it before it stopped firing! I thought at first it was a misfire, but realized the slide would not retract 100% so the rounds could not be loaded into the chamber.
    Well, after taking it to a gunsmith, the problem was a laser retaining screw! It backed itself out and blocked the slide from fully retracting. The serial number is in the mid 2000's.
    After this experience I am so glad I have a Diamondback DB380!! It has not failed me ever.
    I haven't heard of that problem in a while. Whenever cleaning, take the slide off and check that screw, and if it's backing out, use a little blue locktite!

Don't do it. I have had 2, both crappy. Another sign of S&Ws quality decline

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links