Chiappa Rhino and women with small hands

This is a discussion on Chiappa Rhino and women with small hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife shoots OK but she has really small hands and is not real good with recoil. She shoots the PPQ very well likes it ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ramjet

Thread: Chiappa Rhino and women with small hands

My wife shoots OK but she has really small hands and is not real good with recoil. She shoots the PPQ very well likes it but it big for here hands and the muzzle flip is stout with that handgun. I had here try a S&W snubbie she just didn't like the recoil even with 38 special +p.

So I had her try the Chiappa Rhino that I have. I loaded it with the Speer +p 125 Grain HP. I had her dry fire it about 20 times so she could get used to the trigger. So we went out and my bullet trap is 30 feet from the deck. She ran 32 rounds through the little revolver double action at pretty slow pace. She said she really liked the lack of felt recoil and muzzle flip she put all but two rounds in about a 7" group center mass. She said she really liked the small grip and the idea that she did not have rack the slide. She also thought the control was good and the double action trigger pull was smooth and predictable. I had run one more cylinder through it at very fast rate she had nice group but high and right. So unequal pressure on the grip. I think the this may good gun for her she said her confidence was real good and wants to shoot it a few more times this week. Finding her gun she can handle and has confidence in has been journey but looks like we may have found a gun she feels very good about and can shoot. Looks like the PPQ I bought her may be in my holster.

Where did you find the Rhino? I have looked in gun shops and gunshows for months and no seems to have it. One gun shop even told me they have never heard of it before.

My LGS in Wisconsin. Check the website out they have the distributors listed they can give you a local gun shop they deal with in your area. I actually have the 2" and 6".

Administrator
    The Rhino is a really strange looking bird but, the lack of muzzle flip in the VIDs that I have seen & on a Gun TV demo is truly impressive.

That is the single thing that draws me to this gun. My 16 year old did some rapid fire drills with the handgun and his hit ratio was impressive for the speed he was firing. But with my wife she dropped on an empty chamber a couple of times and she did not finch at all. I can only presume the muzzle flip that she experienced with other weapons was more unnerving to her than the straight line recoil of the Rhino. it is pretty incredible and I can tell you I own a pile of handguns this design really impresses me. The only down side I have found so far with this gun is with reloads it dose not like CCI small pistol primers it fires more reliably with Federal primers.

I've only handled one at my LGS and though yes it is odd looking, the concept seems really cool. I don't really have an interest to buy one, but I would like to shoot one someday.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Can I ask what shop it is? I am in your area and have been looking into these.

I sent you a PM.

A lot of people just don't want to work with their gun to get proficient with it. They pick up a tool that creates a controlled explosion in their hand and go, "Wow, I don't like how it jumps!"

I've seen a few small stature 14 year old girls compete in Junior Class with 1911 .45's. I think too many people have unrealistic expectations as to what a gun really is and that they are expected to put in a marginal amount of effort in learning how to control it well.

I'm not saying your wife may be one of those people, but I am saying it seems to be a prevalent excuse used these days among many new shooters.

I expect she'll have really good luck with the Rhino but I'm kind of surprised she doesn't like the ergonomics of the PPQ. Especially with the adjustable back straps.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yeah she is not one who gives up but why force the issue if you can improve by using the "best" tool. That is where she is , it is not a matter of not liking or shooting the PPQ poorlly she likes it and shoots it well. But she shoots the Rhino better and the simplicity of the revolver appeals to her especially in a stress filled defensive situation. So the features and shootability of the Rhino is better fit for her. Plus the Rhino is easier to conceal than the full size PPQ especially because of her small frame. Another consideration no jams to clear with revolver. Racking the slide is a huge issue for many women they either can or can't and a stress filled situation may make it even more difficult.

I hear ya. I'm in a transitional period myself. All these years of carrying snubbies, and sub-compacts, I've decided to go with full size guns for concealed carry. While the G-23 is "technically" considered a compact, I feel it is anything but compact. Since I could carry it with no problem I decided to get a M&P 9 FS for my EDC.

I'm selling the G-23 simply because it's my only .40 cal gun and I'm eliminating .40 caliber from my inventory. Gonna stay with 9mm & .45 ACP for my semi-auto's and .38/.357 in my revolvers for economy. Also have a couple .380's for BUGs.

I think she'll do great with the Rhino.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The 40 just does not appeal to me. Now the 10mm in my Model 20 different story that appeals to me. But you are right reloading the 38 special is a snap and easy to do plus very affordable buying bullets form Montana bullet works in bulk is very cheap way to go. Yeah got her new holster and will order her the Chrome 2" today.

Ordered White Rhino 2" today will be here end of the week. My wife is stoked now to the garage and make her a holster.
    stancehold likes this.

My only " problem " with the Rhino is: $$$$$! Boy, are they expensive, or what?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Yes they are it is ,achieved from solid piece and the trigger and lockmworks are a little complex but hard to say why mYbe they just are not produced at the higher numbers of others plus many are machined castings not the case with the Rhino. But yes I agree that they are pricey.

Sponsored Links