.380 hangfire/squib load?

This is a discussion on .380 hangfire/squib load? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So shooting the PPK and LCP .380's weekend I had an interesting hang fire? I pulled the trigger on the LCP and round hesitated just ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: .380 hangfire/squib load?

So shooting the PPK and LCP .380's weekend I had an interesting hang fire? I pulled the trigger on the LCP and round hesitated just slightly before going off. Some powder blew back in my face and the sound was definitely not "normal". I paused, keeping the gun pointed down range and then raked the slide. The empty casing ejected at that time. All store bought .380 ammo, FMJ and my suspicion is that perhaps I may have kept my carry ammo too long? I noticed that some of the rounds were seated lower, presumably from having to occasionally clear the weapon. What are your thoughts, experiences? How many times can you chamber a round before it becomes an issue? I haven't shot the gun in 6 months, and likely cleared it several times since loading it. I try to rotate the rounds but some are definitely "shorter" than others...

Jim

If you mean the bullet heads are sitting lower down than others, I would not be shooting those at all, and either get rid of them and or get a bullet puller and take them apart, wife has a LCP and never had any issues like that with it, or the ammo....

Thanks. I will discard.
    JIm

It's called bullet setback,some calibers are easier to setback than others,it also can depend on the gun.Bullet setback is dangerous and can cause high enough pressures to cause you gun to "blow up".When something as critical as carry ammo is used,don't go cheap,some people will take a round they chambered once and throw it in a container to shoot at the range.
    archer51 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I pulled the trigger on the LCP and round hesitated just slightly before going off. Some powder blew back in my face and the sound was definitely not "normal".
    Sounds like your powder charge was contaminated and burned at a very slow rate. Are you over oiling the gun? Is there lube on the breech face?

I don't think I've ever heard of bullet setback causing a gun to blow up, but it can cause over pressure, and that's not good. Some rounds handle being rechambered better than others, but as a rule; after being chambered a few times a round should be shot, saved for your next range visit or tossed.

Links