22LR pistol----your choice?

This is a discussion on 22LR pistol----your choice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a .22 pistol to supplement my M&P 9c. Please weigh in with your opinions.....there are a lot to choose from! Thanks!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 22LR pistol----your choice?

22LR pistol----your choice?

I'm looking for a .22 pistol to supplement my M&P 9c. Please weigh in with your opinions.....there are a lot to choose from! Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

For target shooting we have Mark III's and a Beretta Neos

I have both a smith and wesson model 18, which is a 6 shot revolver, and also the beretta neos, both of which have been flawless so far. I went for ease of cleaning, and functionality. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

For plinking it's hard to beat a Ruger Mark III
    If you are looking for something with a similar feel, to supplement your training with your M&P take a look at the M&P 22 pistol Product: Smith & Wesson Model M&P22 - 12 Rounds

I've also been eying the new Ruger SR22

For .22LR, I prefer revolvers. The only misfires I have ever personally experienced have been with rimfire ammo, especially the cheaper bulk packs. While a misfire is not a big deal for plinking, I just prefer the reliability of a revolver for this cartridge. Plus, it is easier to clean.

Now, if you want cheaper training with your M&P (at least the trigger manipulation; not recoil management) then you can look into a .22 conversion - I assume they make them for the M&P. I have one (by Advantage Arms) for my Glock 19 - nice kit, though mine does not like to be loaded with more than 5-6 rounds in the mag (which is supposed to hold 10) or it will jam up.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

If I want to hit bullseyes without working really hard, I turn to my Ruger MkII with a Volquartsen trigger. Then there's the S&W M17 (K-frame .22) and my wife's M63 (J-frame) plus a Single Six. If you're looking for just target or recreational use, any of those would fill the bill. But if you're looking for a rimfire pistol that more closely emulates a modern defensive pistol, I'd take a close look at the SR22.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Spirit4earth;2181247]I'm looking for a .22 pistol to supplement my M&P 9c. Please weigh in with your opinions.....there are a lot to choose from! Thanks![/QUOTE
    Go to rimfire central forum.

I have a Sig Mosquito. It is a very nice pistol. It is finicky on ammo. As long as I shoot the CCI mini mags, it is fine.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I have a Sig Mosquito. It is a very nice pistol. It is finicky on ammo. As long as I shoot the CCI mini mags, it is fine.
    Yup, CCI mini-mag (mnft #0030) is the best IMO for .22LR ammo. Feeds my Neo, Mark III's and 10/22's.

sgb
    BugDude likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

AZCHEVY just posted a review on the Ruger SR22 and he seems to be very happy with it, you may also look into the LCR 22 revolver and there is another auto out there that the name is escaping me (can someone chime in here?) on but it runs thirty round mags and the couple people whom I have heard comment about them seem to enjoy them.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

I have a S&W 22A,put lots of rounds through it,might look in to the M&P 22 for my next 22 plinker.I have a GSG 1911 22 WARNING NOT ONLY MINE BUT NUMEROUS OTHER PEOPLE HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SLIDE CRACKING IN THE SAME PLACE AFTER A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.I am selling/trading off this gun as soon as I get it back.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Right here:

Ruger SR22 Pistol Review

There is no modern equal. I love this weapon.

I really like both of my Ruger MKIII's (MKIII hunter, and a 22/45 threaded)., and also run them with CCI ammo without issue. There is a fair amount of aftermarket parts available. The only downside I see is that they can be tricky to disassemble until you do it a few times. A revolver would also be a good choice, however I went with the auto's since I have a suppressor sitting and waiting for my tax stamp to return

VIP Member
    No question get the M&P .22.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links