1970 Colt Cobra - Page 3

1970 Colt Cobra

This is a discussion on 1970 Colt Cobra within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congrats on your Cobra. I was fortunate to find a Detective Special at a LGS a while back. Love those Colt snubbies. Image.jpg 1974 Detective ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 1970 Colt Cobra

Cool

Congrats on your Cobra.

I was fortunate to find a Detective Special at a LGS a while back.

Love those Colt snubbies.

Image.jpg 1974 Detective Special
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    azchevy likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Beautiful revolver and made to a standard of fit and finish that can only be dreamed of today.

GM
    That was is very nice! Congrats
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    They got one at my local gun store " used" looks like it has never been shot in very like new condition. They say 1966 and the price on it is $2,500.00
    I would like to get it but the price seems high. I hear the Colts hold value very well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    They got one at my local gun store " used" looks like it has never been shot in very like new condition. They say 1966 and the price on it is $2,500.00
    I would like to get it but the price seems high. I hear the Colts hold value very well.
    One what? That sounds like a python price...

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Congrats on your Cobra.

I was fortunate to find a Detective Special at a LGS a while back.

Love those Colt snubbies.

Image.jpg 1974 Detective Special
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon

That is beautiful. I would like to add a DS and agent of the same year ( 1970 ) to accompany the Cobra.... I am already on the hunt. I also want a 2.5" python.....

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Great looking gun

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Looks to be in exceptional condition.

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

For the minimal wear on the edges of the cylinder, the grips look teriffic.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    That is beautiful. I would like to add a DS and agent of the same year ( 1970 ) to accompany the Cobra.... I am already on the hunt. I also want a 2.5" python.....
    I wish you all the luck in the world finding those three at resonable prices.

I fell across the DS sitting in the used gun section of one of my LGS looking lonely and blue and with a very low price tag (under $400).

Down in my area most folks are looking for the latest bottomfeeder so revolvers are often overlooked.

I had cash in my pocket (a bad habit for me when going into gun shops) and we got the price down a bit more.

She cleaned up well and has those rub spots that show holster wear and character.

Sometimes the bargins find you when your are just out window shopping.

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The python won't be reasonable at all unfortunately, but I am confident I can find a DS and Agent at reasonable prices...

What was the last year Colt made the DS's? I'm curious and might be on the hunt also. I was dreaming of a Taurus .38 sp for my May birthday but they are now sold out at Davidson's for the one I wanted. (I started a thread for that) But, these vintage pieces have piqued my interest after you bad boys started this thread. So many guns, so little time.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    What was the last year Colt made the DS's? I'm curious and might be on the hunt also. I was dreaming of a Taurus .38 sp for my May birthday but they are now sold out at Davidson's for the one I wanted. (I started a thread for that) But, these vintage pieces have piqued my interest after you bad boys started this thread. So many guns, so little time.
    27–86 I think in the 90's they did a special run with bobbed hammers too. You really want the pre-bankruptcy Colts. Which are 1927-1986

There are over 60 on gunbroker at this time:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/B...ective+special
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Update..... Finally got some 158 LSWC for her. This weapon was MADE to shoot these. I shot them much better than anything else.

This is the result of a 12 foot distance, draw from the pocket and moving laterally and away from left to right while firing using the point shooting method ..... this target is stapled to a standard IDPA cardboard target so all six shots were where I wanted them to be. I could not be happier. All of my groupings were similar on this range trip.

IMG_3652.jpg

Then I moved back to 12 yards and fired six shots all DAO, all aimed but fast at the target. This looks like the average grouping from that range. I still want to take my time and take slow aimed shots but that is not my style.... maybe tomorrow. I adjusted my trigger pull on this weapon and I am still little left but getting better every day. It is just going to take work to adjust to the new trigger pull. With time it will get better.... it is much different than the LCR, the Taurus 651, and the Smith mp340... but I like it. I am ordering a tyler-t for it to see how that works for me. I still prefer the LCR trigger but this trigger is growing on me.

IMG_3655.jpg

This old colt shoots way better than I do.....

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

I also weighed it out loaded and unloaded..... using 158gr LSWC .38

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg
    OD* and neubert500 like this.

In comparison to my .357 LCR with 125gr JHP .357 magnum rounds and the boot grip....

IMG_3037 (Large).jpg

IMG_3038 (Large).jpg

OD*
    I'll have to disagree with AZ on a couple points, the Dick Specials were nice little revolvers up to and including 1992 (1986 began the four year strike). Colt entered chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization in '92, reintroduced the Dick Specials in 1993 and ran them to 1995, then brought out the DS in stainless as the SF-VI, as a replacement for the Detective Special. In 1997 they introduced DS II (those two models, the DS II and SF-VI, are the ones I'd look at closely before buying), and I believe Colt stopped their production of revolvers in late 1999.
    azchevy likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links