Think twice about the purchase of a CM9

This is a discussion on Think twice about the purchase of a CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle Guys, if you have suggestions instead of sarcasm, I suggest you post the suggestions. The sarcastic posts are not going to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Think twice about the purchase of a CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Guys, if you have suggestions instead of sarcasm, I suggest you post the suggestions. The sarcastic posts are not going to be around long.

All I'm asking is be nice.
    Point taken. However, when the subject title of a thread is inflammatory and without merit then perhaps the sarcastic comments are justified. Instead of Think twice about the purchase of a CM9, maybe the OP should have titled it, Need help with CM9 problems instead of inferring that his gun's irregularities are indicative of CM9s in general.
    mrwonderful likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    sorry to hear that you had problems at the range that just sucks... don't own a Kahr been considering one...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Ok the OP over reacted to the situation he had no need for over reaction.

I just bought a CM9 week and half ago. I have shot exactly 300 rounds through the gun my wife put about 50 through it. We had not one FTF the ammo was Blaser Brass 115 grain FMJ. After that I broke it down and cleaned it very well it was filthy and needed a good scrubbing. But I did notice some left over machining chips if you will that certainly could have caused me issues. I usually clean before I shoot a gun but got lazy in this case and skipped that step. With that said no issues. Take some time clean that gun up fire good FMJ through it and clean it up again after about 250-300 rounds. It will settle down and you will be happy.

I have 3 Kahr arms and would buy another in a heart beat they are one of the best CCW guns on market.

VIP Member
    Sounds like it needs cleaning and oiling, but you say you did that.
    Sounds like the slide needs to be racked in, but you say you did that.
    Kahr CS has been great, they'll take good care of you. Your inflammatory thread may be premature.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have a CM9 and when new I took it apart cleaned it, lubed it, put on a pair of gloves and racked the slide at least 500 times over a couple of days, took it apart again and relubed it and took it to the range and put 150 rounds of WWB through it with zero problems, took it back to the range today and put another 50 rounds of WWB through it, 20 rounds of Winchester Supreme PDX1 125gr +p, and 25 rounds of Hornady Zombie Max 115gr with zero failures. These are very tight guns out of the box, if you are having a problem call Kahr, they will make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    Point taken. However, when the subject title of a thread is inflammatory and without merit then perhaps the sarcastic comments are justified. Instead of Think twice about the purchase of a CM9, maybe the OP should have titled it, Need help with CM9 problems instead of inferring that his gun's irregularities are indicative of CM9s in general.
    It might be inflammatory to you, but it seems to be a problem needing to be solved by GoBigOrange, gottabkiddin, bigmacque, CootShooter, 10thmtn, and gunthorp], and most all the other posters. The problem has been identified and helpfu,l courteous suggestions given.

Not every poster is going to be able to construct posts to your specifications and liking. Maybe he was frustrated and venting a little. That does not justify sarcasm and humiliating comments. There's been entirely too much of that going on.

Look guys, we're all gun people, can we not show some latitude to one another if one does something we think he shouldn't? Is it so difficult to have a safe, friendly environment where gun guys from novice to expert can come and not have to worry about being publicly harassed and humiliated by other gun owners?

We may feel sometimes somebody deserves it, but that doesn't justify rudeness and sarcasm. If you think something is far amiss contact a mod and let us deal with it; that's what we're here for.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    All I can say is THINK TWICE MAYBE MORE before the purchase of a CM9.
    Kahr makes fine pistols. Read the owners manual and your problems never would have happened. Rack the slide on any new Kahr pistol about 500 times before going to the range, and you'll be fine. Kahr recommends 200 rounds as a breakin.....racking the slide is cheaper, and turns your range session into fun instead of frustration.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    You are exactly correct. Did not need to mess with the Beretta like this or even the Ruger's. I racked the slide 500 times (ouch) did item for item from the Kahrtalk.com forum. Oiled where they said to oil etc. I tryed to fire American Eagle 115g FMJ, WWB 115g and Hornandy Citical Defense. All the same @#$###.
    just read this post. If you followed the breakin procedures properly and still had this type of problem, contact Kahr Cusomer service asap or take it back to where you purchased the gun. You gotta problem.
    sgb likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    For the price of the guns, you would think Kahr would give you a finished weapon, not a work in process for you to clean up.
    I have to agree. Last year I bought a P380 and had issues plenty with ejecting and feeding with multiple types of ammo over several hundred rounds. My LGS very kindly allowed me a full price trade in.

Sorry to hear that you are having that problem. My first range trip with my PM9 was a total disaster. It almost earned a pair of concrete shoes and a journey into the river. After my initial range session, I cleaned, re-lubed and called Kahr. They sent me a new recoil spring no charge. Had it in 3 days! Having a brand new gun not run well is frustrating, and Kahr's seem to be really good at ******* off first time owners.

Kahr's do require alot more love when new. They are tight and can be picky. But... once you get them running right, they will reward you. They are some of the sweetest shooting, most carry worth pistols i've ever used. It sucks that they need love out of the box, especially since they are pricey. I think its obnoxious paying that much for a gun that needs that much attention. As much as it sucks, its totally worth it, trust me. Just be patient....Kahr stands by their product, and will make sure you get a sweet shooter. After the initial hiccups, it'll serve you 100%, with a smile. She's just shy and needs to get to know you first
    zonker1986 and bandrich like this.

I don't see a problem with the OP's thread title. People SHOULD think twice about buying a pistol that requires all kinds of silly drills to avoid failure right out of the box. Kahrs are right on the edge of reliability. It's a well known fact that some work, some don't. Gun companies don't get good or bad reputations out of nowhere. They are built on the experiences of people who have owned and used their products. Kahr products have always been a mixed bag.

I've owned several Kahr products (hard-headed, I guess), and I've never had a 9mm model that didn't have screwed-up mags that failed to retain rounds when carried in a pocket or a mag holder. The rounds just pop out for no reason. There is way too much play in the top round of a loaded 9mm Kahr mag. A bad design, period, IMO. I've never had another brand of mag do that. Even Kel-Tec is more competent with their PF9 mag design.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Sounds like a slide stop issue. Maybe the slide stop spring popped to the top during a re-assembly. I will be interested to learn the cause once you get the pistol back from Kahr.

Unfortunately, some Kahr's have problems. While a CW9 I have has been flawless out of the box, I gave up on a CW45 after three trips back to the factory. I did finally decide to pick up a CM9, and so far, it has been perfect. I have learned that new Kahrs respond well when I don't skimp on the lube. I'm not a proponent of racking the slide; I did that on the CW45 thinking, well if all else failed why not give it a try. That didn't work, either, so I sold it with full disclosure.

They do fit tightly and perhaps that's why they like to be almost slopy lubed. Try that and some different ammo. Perhaps you dealer has an extra mag you can try, as well. Good luck.
    NRA Lifer Since 1971

VIP Member
    Like all small pistols Kahrs have some problems from time to time. Little guns run on tight tolerances and a minor flaw will keep them from running 100%.

Nobody likes to buy a gun and have it not run right, it just sucks. BUT Kahr will make it right, they are very good about making the customer happy.

I will say that most folks that have trouble with Kahrs are inexperienced shooters, most but not all.

Good luck OP. Don't let a bad first impression sour you on the Kahr pistols. They are very good.
    sgb likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Like all small pistols Kahrs have some problems from time to time. Little guns run on tight tolerances and a minor flaw will keep them from running 100%.

Nobody likes to buy a gun and have it not run right, it just sucks. BUT Kahr will make it right, they are very good about making the customer happy.

I will say that most folks that have trouble with Kahrs are inexperienced shooters, most but not all.

Good luck OP. Don't let a bad first impression sour you on the Kahr pistols. They are very good.
    That's worth repeating.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links