Think twice about the purchase of a CM9

This is a discussion on Think twice about the purchase of a CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Vaquero is correct: there is a history of some issues from time to time with some guns. But there is also a history of incredible ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Think twice about the purchase of a CM9

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Vaquero is correct: there is a history of some issues from time to time with some guns. But there is also a history of incredible customer service.

I've been one of the lucky ones: my PM9 has never one time failed in any way shape or form, and I didn't even learn of the suggested break-in until after I'd fired about 150 rounds -- I just took mine out of the box, cleaned it up and lubed it a little bit, and sent three 50 round boxes into the side of the berm behind the target without failure. But that doesn't always happen, and I think Kahr understands that.

I honestly swear by my PM9. That's why it's on me 90% of the time.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Kahr handguns are built to very tight tolerances. They are "tighter" new than most handguns. The break-in is needed by some Kahr's (and recommended by the manufacturer for all). If you did your research and due diligence you would know this prior to purchase. Your frustration is understandable but Kakr will fix and issue you have with the pistol and you will end up with a reliable superb small handgun. Clean it thoroughly and run some more ammo through it and after 200 rounds if its still giving trouble send it back to Kahr to be repaired or replaced.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Check the Karhtalk.com forum to find the numerous complaints for the very same prob I had. Also on You Tube. Sarcastic comments was not my intent. In 40 years of purchasing firearms this is the FIRST major problem I have had. Is it because the firearm is so small or QC is lacking. I don't know. If the factory can fix this gun I will be the first to say I love it and it will be my EDC.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I'm still trying to envision what type of malfunction you are having.... "something in between" Slide lock and failure to fully return to battery.... ??

These are totally two different problems.. If it's not fully returning to battery, that sounds like it is firing the chambered round and stripping a new one off during the cycle, but if it doesn't return to full battery, possibly caused by the ammo you are using doesn't cycle well in the pistol. It could also be that maybe your support hand thumb may be interfering with the slide operation. That can happen with the smaller autos and large hands; it's happened with me and some of my small .380's.

IMO, if it's locking back after you fire a shot, I'd try one thing before giving up on it... Try shooting it one handed, both strong and off hand and see if your grip could be interfering with the slide lock in anyway. It may sound goofy, but it does happen. I can attest to it..

One other possibility might be that you have a bad "Mag/follower". Being that the CM series only comes with one mag it'll be hard to track down, but you might see if your range will let you borrow one from a rental gun and check it from that one.. Hell, worse case see if you can rent the pistol if they wont let you borrow it, it would be better than sending the pistol back to Kahr for a bad mag. If you determine that it is the mag, call Kahr and I'm sure they'll hook you up with a new one...

Update; I forgot to mention... If they have a PM9 know that the mags are interchangeable, so it will work in your CM9 to check and see if it is a mag issue.

Anyway, I hope you get the problem fixed whatever it may be.. These are great little guns and I hate to see someone having trouble with theirs.. Either way, let us know how it goes and whatcha find out..

SigHawk likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

You should look at your ammo, your break-in procedure and your grip and trigger finger position.

It does need a 200 rd break in period. A lot of manufacturers have a break in period.

I also have seen a lot of people have issues with Kahrs due to grip and limp wristing. Lock those wrists and get some decent ammo. WWB is dirty and underpowered.

Lock your wrists and try any +P rounds in it and I betcha the problems disappear.

VIP Member
    Did you strip it down and clean and lube it real well? I bet with a few hundred rounds thru it it will be fine. May be a good thing that you got a tight one.
    I hope you have another weapon to use until you get her broke in.

I saw a video of what his pistol is doing, very weird indeed... It doesn't really fall into the area of normal Kahr break-in procedures. Here's a link to the video I saw new kahr cm9 slide sticking - YouTube. To me it looks like the slide is catching on the barrel when it's in its foremost rear position. Once that area is worn from use it should stop hanging up on its own.

I still believe that working the slide with some force behind it will in turn force whatever burs, or areas of friction to relax and eventually give way to smooth and reliable service, but it's gonna be up to the end user on whether or not he decides to send it back to Kahr for the work, or work on it himself... IMO, nothing that a little Arkansas stone and some oil can't cure.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    This is just an observation. From all these posts, it seems Kahr has more problems than Taurus, yet everybody wants to cut Kahr a break and crucify Taurus. Both have lifetime warranties and will make it right and a Taurus, it appears, is more likely to run properly right out of the box. I don't get it.
    JoshJ10 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

No comparison between Taurus and Kahr is much better.

Well, Taurus's customer service might be a tad bit to blame for their bad reputation... Personally, I have nothing against Taurus, but then again I don't have any of their guns in my safe either.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Well, Taurus's customer service might be a tad bit to blame for their bad reputation... Personally, I have nothing against Taurus, but then again I don't have any of their guns in my safe either.
    I have heard, but of my 3 Tauri, none have had to go to homecoming, so I can't opine on that. I will say that when I have called them with a question, like will a 24/7 mag work with a PT145 Pro, they have been able to answer my questions without hesitation.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    That's worth repeating.
    ok.

Don't let a bad first impression sour you on the Kahr pistols. They are very good.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I have heard, but of my 3 Tauri, none have had to go to homecoming, so I can't opine on that. I will say that when I have called them with a question, like will a 24/7 mag work with a PT145 Pro, they have been able to answer my questions without hesitation.
    Gotcha. Personally I have never had any dealings with them, so I can't really say either way. I did see a show the other day on the outdoor channel spotlighting the Taurus manufacturing plant in Miami, I think it was. Where ever it was, quite honestly I was impressed by what I saw...

I've got a buddy who loves his Kahr, and I've heard really good things.

When my LC9 had a problem out of the box, folks sounded a lot like this thread....some threw Ruger under the bus as an awful company. Others said I must have "gotten a bad one, and their CS would make it right". (This is exactly what happened, by the way!)

Others held up their Kahr's and said "This would never have happened with a Kahr."

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that Kahr's only had a 5 year warranty on their firearms or did they recently change it; and that Taurus firearms have lifetime warranties that follows the firearm and not the owner ??? God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    This is just an observation. From all these posts, it seems Kahr has more problems than Taurus, yet everybody wants to cut Kahr a break and crucify Taurus. Both have lifetime warranties and will make it right and a Taurus, it appears, is more likely to run properly right out of the box. I don't get it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links