Think twice about the purchase of a CM9

This is a discussion on Think twice about the purchase of a CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought about an LC9 or a Kahr CM9 for a couple of months. Did some poll's on some forum's and people said 80% to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Think twice about the purchase of a CM9

Think twice about the purchase of a CM9

I thought about an LC9 or a Kahr CM9 for a couple of months. Did some poll's on some forum's and people said 80% to 20% to buy a CM9. First range visit today was HORRID. Slide "stuck" back 4 of 6 rounds on every mag for 225 rounds. On the bright side when it did fire the darn thing is very accurate, or I should I say I was able to shoot out the entire bulleye on three targets in between messing with the gun. All I can say is THINK TWICE MAYBE MORE before the purchase of a CM9.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Take a step back and relax for a moment. Kahr's can be hit or miss however most of the problems can be solved with a little "breaking in". Did you follow the break-in steps recommend by Kahr?

VIP Member
    "Stuck back" means fail to close completely into battery, held back at slide lock, something in between?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Keep in mind that these are tight little guns... Did you rack the slide several times before oiling and cleaning then rack the thing several more?

If not, anyone who buys a new Kahr should really do that before going to the range.. I can't guarantee it, but none of my Kahrs have ever had a problem and that's what I do to prep um before the first trip to the range. My CM9 have several hundred rounds through it and I'll be adding another couple hundred in the next week or soo... Outa all those rounds not a single problem..

I'm sorry you had trouble with you new Kahr, but if you didn't do what I mentioned you should try that and then see how it runs for ya.. Best of luck to ya..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Kahr's break-in recommendation on the PM9, which is roughly the same gun, is to pull it apart, clean and lube it per their diagram, then rack the slide about 200 times before you even fire it. This is almost a must, and I can tell you that my bro-in-law went through this with arthritic hands, hands sensitive to difficult tasks. He noticed a marked difference between slide rack number 1 and slide rack number 200.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I also recall reading that some kahrs are picky on what ammo they will feed. Was the session all one brand or a mixed bag?

what others have said,give it a good cleaning and re lube..try racking the slide several hundred times,that might help to,if not just call Kahr and inform them of the problem..they will get it running 100%

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Kahr's break-in recommendation on the PM9, which is roughly the same gun, is to pull it apart, clean and lube it per their diagram, then rack the slide about 200 times before you even fire it. This is almost a must, and I can tell you that my bro-in-law went through this with arthritic hands, hands sensitive to difficult tasks. He noticed a marked difference between slide rack number 1 and slide rack number 200.
    For the price of the guns, you would think Kahr would give you a finished weapon, not a work in process for you to clean up.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I just got my CM9 last week and did the clean&lube, slide racking, and 200 round break in (with Walmart Federal 115gr FMJ) and I had ZERO issues.

I'm so in love with this little gun I think I'm gonna marry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    zonker1986 and atctimmy like this.

Got over 1000 rounds between wife and mine. no problems. What ammo you using?

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    "Stuck back" means fail to close completely into battery, held back at slide lock, something in between?
    Something in between. Very wierd.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

If you do end up calling Kahr's tech support...there is a tech there with a thick English accent. He knows his stuff.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    For the price of the guns, you would think Kahr would give you a finished weapon, not a work in process for you to clean up.
    You are exactly correct. Did not need to mess with the Beretta like this or even the Ruger's. I racked the slide 500 times (ouch) did item for item from the Kahrtalk.com forum. Oiled where they said to oil etc. I tryed to fire American Eagle 115g FMJ, WWB 115g and Hornandy Citical Defense. All the same @#$###.
    BA

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    not just Kahr....Sig too

i picked up a very lightly used C3.
    found out straight off why it got no use and finally traded---
    besides ejecting to the forehead 1 in 20, it failed to slide close similarly.

thing just needed to be learned that it was a gun and how to behave.
    it caught on around round 150. and now approaching 400 has had perfect
    manors for the last 150 rounds.
    did i mention its deadnuts accurate?
    and its lock time approaches lickety-split

....okay, the solid trigger looks rather monolithic but the black hogue's look
    just darling on the dark reciever; not to mention ( which i shall) that they
    take the bite away fron the front 30 LPI while still giving a VG grip.

it and the P7 have me to be thinking that perhaps i shall turn my life around
    even thinkin on parting with the P239/40...
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Moderator
    Guys, if you have suggestions instead of sarcasm, I suggest you post the suggestions. The sarcastic posts are not going to be around long.

All I'm asking is be nice.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links