Interesting read by Mas....

This is a discussion on Interesting read by Mas.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are some excerpts from an article by Massad Ayoob in the March/April 2012 edition of American Handgunner. It discusses the guns that are approved ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Interesting read by Mas....

Senior Moderator

Here are some excerpts from an article by Massad Ayoob in the March/April 2012 edition of American Handgunner. It discusses the guns that are approved for carry by the officers of the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake, Utah.

And be aware this is intended for information, interest, etc. and not to declare what the ultimate gun, etc. is. Just read and enjoy and make comments as you like, but let's not let yet another thread turn into a "mine is better than yours".

Approved guns Beretta, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield XD/XDM, Glock, and get the specificity of this, the Colt 1911 Series 80.

Approved calibers: 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and .45ACP.

Their standard service pistol, not quite sure what he means by this, is the M&P. It maybe that the department issues the M&P, but since officers are allowed to buy and carry their own personal gun and 50% of them do, it may be that if an officer wants something other than the standard issue, he has to buy it himself.

The 9mm is the most popular round. The spokesperson for training said, "A number of our officers have found they can hit center faster, with more bullets, with the 9mm," continuing, "We've also had a number of the older officers go to the 9mm after issues such as arthritis made it more comfortable for them, and easier for them to run with speed and accuracy."

The selection of calibers behind the 9mm are: the .40 next. followed by the .357 sig, and finally the .45ACP.

Smith and Wesson, not the M&P but the Smith & Wesson brand is the most popular. Seems a lot of officers prefer their 3rd gen 6906 and 4006s. As they said Glocks were a close second. The Colt is in last place, but only recently introduced and is beginning to develop a following. My comment: Good to see the Colt 1911 (series 80 only) in the holster's of LEO!

An interesting statement was that, "Hand-to-gun fit is a critical part of finding the gun that works best for the individual officer. The interchangeable backstraps and forgiving trigger reach of the M&P were among the reasons it was adopted, and every recruit gets to try it in every possible grip configuration." My comment: apparently they don't have Glock gen 4s with the adjustable backstraps yet,

"The department emphasizes the use of sights whenever possible." their hit rate in the field is a whopping 72%.

And a bunch more stuff - good read.
    JD and azchevy like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Link??
    oneshot likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Ex Member
    Hit rate of 72%? That is VERY impressive. Beats the 'spray and pray' mentality of some departments.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Link??
    I think he is summing up an article in a hard copy magazine. I don't know if it's online anywhere; I didn't check.

The series 80 Colts have the firing pin safety, so that explains the specific 1911 option.

Good to hear some of the 3rd gen Smiths are still being carried, great pistols.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 357 Terms View Post
    ...Good to hear some of the 3rd gen Smiths are still being carried, great pistols.
    Isn't it! And yes they are! The Chattanooga PD carried either those models or one very similar for years and years.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I think he is summing up an article in a hard copy magazine. I don't know if it's online anywhere; I didn't check.
    You're right - no link, it's on the newsstand if you want to read more. Mas has an intriguing article in the same magazine about a cop killer of yesteryear, and it's a very good read too.

Guess i should throw out my smith and wesson snubbies in 38 special then huh. I DO have a Glock 30 in 45 ACP, but i found i did not carry it as often as the wheelguns, and have permanently switched to snubbies, for the good or for the bad. Guess a 38 on my side, always being carried is better than the GLock that usually sits in the safe. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Here is the article on the hit rate of 72%

American Handgunner March/April 2012 Digital Edition

just click continue and close.. starts on page 24

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357 Terms View Post
    Good to hear some of the 3rd gen Smiths are still being carried, great pistols.

^^^^^^^^Ain't that the truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not too bad for a pistol around 25+ years old Huh?

Glad I bought me one, plus a 6904 @ the same time in January

Thanks for the good read Tangle.

Wish I had their annual ammo budget!!!!!

Thanks for the link azchevy
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks Chevy..Appreciate it...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Guess i should throw out my smith and wesson snubbies in 38 special then huh...
    No, no - they're allowed to carry those off-duty and for backup IIRC.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Excellent post Tangle. I find it refreshing to see the number of departments that allow officer's to carry what they prefer and operate best over having a single issue firearm.

VIP Member
    Very interesting. Lends some anecdotal support (or contradicts a couple widely held beliefs, depending...) One, that the 1911 CAN be an excellent pistol, if you get the right one, and you have someone that is willing and able to learn it's particular foibles. Two, that having more bullets (i.e. a high-capacity 9mm) will automatically turn you into a "spray and pray" maniac incapable of using aimed fire simply because you have more bullets.... It seems like a good understanding of firearms, the people who use them, and the training they require is what really matters, huh?
    goldshellback likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Guess i should throw out my smith and wesson snubbies in 38 special then huh. I DO have a Glock 30 in 45 ACP, but i found i did not carry it as often as the wheelguns, and have permanently switched to snubbies, for the good or for the bad. Guess a 38 on my side, always being carried is better than the GLock that usually sits in the safe. Bunker
    Good Gravy Bunker, don't throw them away, mail them to me. I love them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links