Advice on parking lot gun

This is a discussion on Advice on parking lot gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sry, I know the title is weird but here is the situation. I really love my 40 sigma, but it is rather heavy when loaded ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Advice on parking lot gun

Distinguished Member

Advice on parking lot gun

Sry, I know the title is weird but here is the situation. I really love my 40 sigma, but it is rather heavy when loaded for me to carry when I am just doing things like walking the dogs or esp when I am going to my car at night in the grocery store parking lot. I like to run with my younger dog on the beach late evening, so weight is really an issue as is price. I'm wanting to carry with a holster on the inside of my jeans like my SLED instructor had.

The snub's are nice, but have read a lot about the aim accuracy with them being an issue. I'm not sure if a 9mm would work well, or just be enough to make somebody mad?! I have not shot a 9mm before so really don't know what to expect or if it will do the job (I want it for safety, not to take somebody to raise if you catch my drift).

I'd love some advice on this since I am out a lot at night (not partying, it's just that the evenings is when I have down time to get out and about). I'm thinking of a price range of $300 but lower would of course be better (around $200 ideal if possible).

Like I said in my intro, I'm a bit new at this and would appreciate any and all advice.
    Thank you very much.

Sister

2. Remove Ads

Uh, well at your 200 to 300 dollar pricepoint its hard to recommend something reliable enough for carry. To answer your question 9mm is plenty stout enough to be an effective defensive pistol provided you load it with good defensive ammo. Even at any pricepoint if your sigma is that much too heavy, you would be talking about a super light back up type pistol, where recoil is going to be a real issue. Maybe the answer is a mor effective way of carrying your current pistol. I would consult with lmatunes on that one. She's our resident expert on all things female carry. Welcome by the way.

I think were in LCP territory here

Distinguished Member
    I'll be honest, I had to google LCP. Saw the LCP Ruger, I like it! A guy I have known for a while where I shop (not a gun store) told me he had a Barrett 25 cal 7 shot he would sell me for $200. Well, I wrote it down came home and googled it and it doesn't look like there is such a thing as Barrett making something like that. I did read while googling that a 25 cal was not worth the trouble, but again, I haven't any idea and have never heard of a Barrett 25 cal. I did get to shoot a Barrett 50 cal sniper gun a few weeks ago but think something like that might make the tourist here at the beach a bit nervous (grin). Do you think I could get by with telling them I was shark fishing southern style? LOL.

Speaking of the beach, that is another issue that came to mind reading Doodle's post. I would love a more efficient way of carrying my 40 even with it being a bit heavy fully loaded, but as the weather gets warmer it would be difficult to hide it under summer clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Do you think I could get by with telling them I was shark fishing southern style? LOL.
    That'd never work, cause everyone knows we use dynamite :)

As for your issues, a .25 is a very small caliber gun, your probably going to find most people around here would recommend a minimum of a .380 caliber.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Yea you are very limited with $200-$300. I would suggest no smaller than .380 if possible and preferably 9mm. The LCP is great little gun, but the trigger and recoil are not pleasing to some. You really need to get your hands on some smaller pistols to try out and see what feels good to ya. I think the Bersa Thunder .380 cc would be a good choice in your price range. And yes...ask this lady...http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...limatunes.html

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...one%2C+7+round

atctimmy and RockStrongo like this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I'll be honest, I had to google LCP. Saw the LCP Ruger, I like it! A guy I have known for a while where I shop (not a gun store) told me he had a Barrett 25 cal 7 shot he would sell me for $200. Well, I wrote it down came home and googled it and it doesn't look like there is such a thing as Barrett making something like that. I did read while googling that a 25 cal was not worth the trouble, but again, I haven't any idea and have never heard of a Barrett 25 cal. I did get to shoot a Barrett 50 cal sniper gun a few weeks ago but think something like that might make the tourist here at the beach a bit nervous (grin). Do you think I could get by with telling them I was shark fishing southern style? LOL.

Speaking of the beach, that is another issue that came to mind reading Doodle's post. I would love a more efficient way of carrying my 40 even with it being a bit heavy fully loaded, but as the weather gets warmer it would be difficult to hide it under summer clothes.
    He was probably talking about a Beretta .25ACP.

The .25 ACP has a reputation for being underpowered. A well-deserved reputation. I'd suggest avoiding it.

Matt
    atctimmy and oneshot like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I think your friend meant/said Beretta .25 cal. In your price range you're not going to have a lot of choices so, like Wormy said the Bersa .380 seems to fit your requirements. If you look really hard and are patient you may be able to find a used LC9 in your price range. And also as another posted above get a hold of Limatunes and watch her vids on YouTube. Also check out Cornered Cat
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

VIP Member
    While any caliber can be lethal, some calibers are better for defensive use than others. I think you'll find as a general consensus .380 is the minimum caliber you want to rely on. You will find quite a few .380's in the price range you gave. With a quality defensive round and proper shot placement they will do the job for you. I personally prefer to stay in the 9mm or large range. In a 9mm your probably looking at a used gun. Keep your eyes open for a Kahr CW9 or Ruger SR9c. Used, they should fall into the price range your looking at.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Yea you are very limited with $200-$300. I would suggest no smaller than .380 if possible and preferably 9mm. The LCP is great little gun, but the trigger and recoil are not pleasing to some. You really need to get your hands on some smaller pistols to try out and see what feels good to ya. I think the Bersa Thunder .380 cc would be a good choice in your price range. And yes...ask this lady...http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...limatunes.html

Bersa Thunder 380 .380acp Duo Tone, 7 round $259.00 SHIPS FREE

I think this is a pretty solid recommendation.

The Bersa Thunder would be a good choice for accuracy, capacity, and recoil and still be small and light enough to carry easily.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

LCP, again recoil may be a issue for you. Or might want to consider a 38 snub, or pick up one of the Taurus .327 caliber snubs. They are selling right now around 225-250. You'll find after getting used to a snub 38 that usually accuracy is surprisingly good.
    Best thing to do is go somewhere you can handle some different makes and see what you think feels right in your hand. Good luck.

I had a Bersa once, it was as heavy as some of my more powerful guns. that is why I sold it and bought the LCP. It was a good gun but the size and wieght was to much for a 380 IMHO.

Bersa .380 is a great option. I carry from time to time a Walther PPK which the Bersa was modeled after. It's perfect for a smaller hand and fits tightly against the body witht he right IWB or OWB holster, you can even totally hide it with a supertuck hoslter. 9mm is definitely not undergunned though as you hit the .380 many say it's the least you'd want to carry...and the .25 is just the last option you'd want...I'd carry .22 lr before I'd carry .25 caliber.

Good luck in your search.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I have a $25 Dollar solution for you. I bought this belt and carry a M&P40 Full size gun. I can run no matter if i have my IWB or OWB holster on. Like full on sprint. It is not always the gun you need to change, also check out smart carry style holsters, or belly band style. A Sigma 40 is not that big and heavy of a gun if you have the proper setup..

to many people are so quick to just get a smaller, less powerful gun just because they haven't thought of changing some basic things like a better belt or carry holster. Check out the like below I love this belt!

Better BDU Belts | Tactical & Military Belts | SPEC.-OPS Tactical Gear
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links