Having trouble getting used to my new sig sauer p229r 40s&w

This is a discussion on Having trouble getting used to my new sig sauer p229r 40s&w within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone else like me went out and bought an $865.00 sig just to find out the sa/da trigger is hard to get used to? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Having trouble getting used to my new sig sauer p229r 40s&w

Having trouble getting used to my new sig sauer p229r 40s&w

Has anyone else like me went out and bought an $865.00 sig just to find out the sa/da trigger is hard to get used to? I rented a p220 and loved it before buying this one. I am used to 1911's and glocks and wheel guns however that first shot sucks. I rack the slide, release the decock lever, squeeze the trigger and my first shot is way off. I just cannot seem to get used to it. I also noticed the sights were installed way off center,front and rear. could be some of my problem however I see that the sight pusher tools will not work on the newer p series sigs due to having wider slides. Bummer..
    sig p229r 001.jpgsig p229r 002.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Any new gun/trigger is going to take some getting used to dont beat yourself up over it; youve got a nice weapon there. But, why not just carry it in condition 1 and forget the DA altogether? Just my opinion, but something to think on.

-Russell
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Takes some getting used to. A double action trigger will let you know how smooth your squeeze really is, or isn't.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    good cheap way to get better is put a sanp cap in and a cheap laser on the rail, pull the trigger while holding the laser on targert over and over till you can keep it where it's suppose to be ... Great gun keep practicing you'll master it in no time...
    kmagnuss likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    Any new gun/trigger is going to take some getting used to dont beat yourself up over it; youve got a nice weapon there. But, why not just carry it in condition 1 and forget the DA altogether? Just my opinion, but something to think on.
    No manual safety on this gun. Carrying cocked sure puts a really light trigger on the weapon. Not sure I'd feel comfortable with that, personally...

You have three choices

1. Shoot more ammo and practice

2. Swap to the DAK trigger and shoot more ammo and practice

3. Sell it off and give up on it

I have a Sig P229 Elite and I love the trigger. I have Glocks and I love those triggers too. Different animals but both good in their own ways.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    You have three choices

1. Shoot more ammo and practice

2. Swap to the DAK trigger and shoot more ammo and practice

3. Sell it off and give up on it

I have a Sig P229 Elite and I love the trigger. I have Glocks and I love those triggers too. Different animals but both good in their own ways.
    I think I will just have to practice more, Sure would like to get the sights replaced with night sights however no tool seems to be available for this sig. Any ideas? Thanks for all the replies also.

I agree as having a round in the chamber with the hammer cocked and no safety seems to me like an accident going to happen.(I'll take a pass on that option)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post
    No manual safety on this gun. Carrying cocked sure puts a really light trigger on the weapon. Not sure I'd feel comfortable with that, personally...

Glock owners like me carry in condition 1 daily. Train your nose picker to stay off the bang switch until you want to shoot something.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    Glock owners like me carry in condition 1 daily. Train your nose picker to stay off the bang switch until you want to shoot something.
    Your DAO Glock and his SA/DA SIG are two different animals. You do not carry a SIG cocked. Ever. The inital double action pull IS the SIGs safety.
    Toorop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbilly32 View Post
    That's a horse of a different color. The Glock requires additional compression of the firing pin spring via the trigger during the trigger stroke, hence the "safe action" trigger. The OP's Sig has a decocker but no separate safety, so carrying it with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked is actually "condition 0" - and is virtually the same as carrying a 1911 cocked and unlocked.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Send it to Bill Springfield at triggerworks.com. He will smooth that baby out. Then dry fire a bunch. Take Mas Ayoob's MAG 40 class if you possibly can.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I know you know this, but it needs to be repeated.

Do not carry that DA/SA sig cocked.

Go to the range and spend a day only firing the pistol in DA. Fire, decock, fire, decock etc..... Nice constant, smooth press/pull until it fires. Don't do a start, stop, start, stop on the trigger because you feel your sight alignment is bouncing around and you only want to press the trigger while the sights are lined up perfect. Also, don't try to stage the trigger to right before it breaks, resight, then fire etc...

Give it some time.

Ya gotta learn where the DA trigger breaks,once you build the muscle memory into your finger you can master the gun,dry fire can help you get the feel for the break
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    You will get it soon enough and practicing with a beautiful, smooth trigger pull like the Sig's is part of the pleasure. I carry a P229 frequently and have owned two other's over the years; a beautiful and effective handgun.

If you want to maximize it's ergonomics switch out the grips with some Hogue G-10's. I added a set to my P229 SCT and it fit's like it was built for my hand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links