Defect in workmanship SR9c - Page 2

Defect in workmanship SR9c

This is a discussion on Defect in workmanship SR9c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by claude clay good that i saw the pics-----id give it a let-go. you did not notice it in the store ( bet ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Defect in workmanship SR9c

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    good that i saw the pics-----id give it a let-go.

you did not notice it in the store ( bet next perchase gets a closer look....)
    and it does not affect function. matter of fact it is visual in nature only and if
    not pointed out would likely go unseen.
    rather picky-eune at its price range and as tooling marks go.
    Agreed... Not to mention that it looks like something that's totally cosmetic and nothing that a little fine grit wet-sanding wouldn't fix..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I think the deeper issue is quality craftsmanship. You spend $400 on a pistol, you get it home and find an obvious defect. I would send Ruger pictures and request an explanation of how it got past quality control. There was an obvious breakdown of their system. Fortunately, it was just a cosmetic mistake. Next time someone may not be so lucky. Ruger, being the quality company that I know they are, should welcome the opportunity to correct the issue.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    While it will have no ill effects on the guns performance it looks bad, and Ruger CS would agree I think if you e mailed them the photos. Drop them an e mail and see what they say. Likely they will have you send the entire pistol back to them on their nut. You may get a free mag for your troubles, they do that quite often. Ruger is not perfect but they make things right and are a good company to deal with.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I give all guns I purchase on site a thorough visual and functional test to the degree I can before I buy it. At this point I'd probably just go with it. If I ever had to send it in for a functional issue, then I'd mention it to Ruger while it was going back for something else. I think it gives it character...your is unique.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky9mm View Post
    It is only a carry gun. It's for protection not a show piece.
    Not trying to bust your chops, but that is the dumbest statement I've seen in a long time. If it is a carry gun, then I definitely want it to be right. Your life depends on it working properly. Now if you had said "It's only going to be a range gun." that might be acceptable.

If the dealer will not exchange it for you, call Ruger and make them make it right.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    "Caused by either a dull cutting tool, cutting too fast or the piece not secure when cutting."

You hit that nail right on the head with regard to those chatter marks in that cut. Check the remainder of your slide over carefully to make sure there are no others in more critical areas.
    One thing you might want to do is call Ruger and if that is your only problem with that firearm AKA cosmetic only then you actually get LUCKY because you can just mail the slide back and not the entire firearm.

Ruger should not need the entire firearm returned in order to correct that so you're eliminating much of the expense and hassle of shipping a complete firearm.

(after looking at your pics) I could see how that would bother most folks. If it was me that bought that and that was the ONLY problem with the gun I would probably just let it go. But, I am not telling you to do that. That is your decision.
    BUT, that is me and probably not most other people.
    What I would do (and again this is me just speaking for myself) I would shoot the gun and if it was a winner with regard to flawless function - These days (the way all of these makers are just cranking guns out right and left) I would thank my lucky stars that I actually bought a gun that wasn't FTFing every other magazine and I'd call it good to go for a personal defense firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    If you ever want to sell it the flaws will cost you money. I'd have Ruger make it right.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    That's a valid thought also that I really didn't consider.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you ever want to sell it the flaws will cost you money. I'd have Ruger make it right.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not trying to bust your chops, but that is the dumbest statement I've seen in a long time. If it is a carry gun, then I definitely want it to be right. Your life depends on it working properly. Now if you had said "It's only going to be a range gun." that might be acceptable.

If the dealer will not exchange it for you, call Ruger and make them make it right.
    So, what do you do when your EDC shows holster wear and is no longer perfect? This is a cosmetic issue, not a functional issue. That is clear from the pictures. I would understand your comment if the OP were talking about a functional issue, but that is not what is at play here.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Administrator
    I think it's an issue where the owner will just need to decide how much it bothers him personally.
    I mean I'm the guy that bought the floor model refrigerator with the dent in the door 'cause it was $150.00 cheaper.
    Which really got My Better Half upset. ~~>
    So...I'm not qualified to say.

VIP Member
    First off let me apologize for my statement. I read the OP and commented. I read it that it was a problem with the slide rails, not a cosmetic problem with the slide serrations.

I would still ask the dealer to replace the gun, and if he didn't, I'd contact Ruger about it. You paid good money for a properly made product. Even though it is only a cosmetic defect, if your paying full price, you should get a product in perfect shape.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ruger stands by their weapons 100% strange to even hear something like what your saying

Yep those are chatter marks. If the gun runs well I would save the hassle of shipping unless ruger offers to pay both ways. I would tape it up quick hit with a file and a little scotchbrite, better than new.

edit to add- I carry a ruger SR-9 frequently and those serrations usually hold a little dirt anyways. They seem just a touch to deep and sharp to clean with a wipe down. If it will be a regularly carried gun you won't see it.

I was a machinist for over 30 years and that slide shouldn't have got by the machinist or quality control! Contact Ruger and send them some pics. I am sure they will take care of you.
    Question Everything!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links