Defect in workmanship SR9c

This is a discussion on Defect in workmanship SR9c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a brand new Ruger SR9c last night. When I opened the case at the dealer the gun was in a plastic ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Defect in workmanship SR9c

Defect in workmanship SR9c

I just picked up a brand new Ruger SR9c last night. When I opened the case at the dealer the gun was in a plastic bag. It was also heavily coated in oil. Got it home and cleaned it up both inside and out. That's when I noticed one of the grooves in the slide had this real rough finish to it. I did some machining about 30 years ago and remember seeing this. Caused by either a dull cutting tool, cutting too fast or the piece not secure when cutting. Anyway, I think the gun is beautiful except for this obvious flaw. There's a similar problem on the other side but not as bad. What do you think I should do? Ignore it and just start pumping rounds through it or go back to Ruger and try to get it replaced? Should I demand perfection? It
    is only a carry gun. It's for protection not a show piece. Let me know what you think I should do. Thx.

2. Remove Ads

Shoot It, If you can live with the looks & it shoots good, Then your GTG ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Well I guess it's up to me to say it ,um-hum,"If you demand perfection-then get a Glock"(except gen 4's)

If the gun store will swap it out for another gun then I would go that way,once you shoot it, it now becomes a used gun and if theres a problem as far as jams etc. due to the slide not running smoothly then you have a gun you have to send in for repairs
    gottabkiddin and archer51 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If the gun store will swap it out for another gun then I would go that way,once you shoot it, it now becomes a used gun and if theres a problem as far as jams etc. due to the slide not running smoothly then you have a gun you have to send in for repairs
    Actually I'm pretty sure once he accepted the pistol from the dealer and walked out of the store it became a used pistol. The time to expect a swap from the dealer is before he does the paperwork on that pistol, not afterwards.
    kmagnuss likes this.

I don't know how I'd feel, without seeing how bad it is... If it was me, like others have said, try to take it back to where you purchased it swap it for another one; let them deal with Ruger on it. If they refuse to swap it for another, well guess what, I'd tell um you'll buy elsewhere from here on out, and you'll let all you gun buddy's know why you don't shop there anymore. If it was my primary carry piece and it functions as it should I think I'd just carry and shoot it as is, but if it's something that you think is going to bother you down the road and you have other carry guns to rely on, then I'd send it in and have Ruger make it right..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Call Ruger. They have excellent customer service. You might even get some freebies for your trouble.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Yup - I would call Ruger. I had a 10/22 (.22 cal rifle) that developed a crack in the stock and Ruger replace the stock NQA on their dime including the freight both ways. Only took about a week IIRC.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Post some pictures for us and give Ruger a call. See what they want you to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Call Ruger. They have excellent customer service. You might even get some freebies for your trouble.
    This is the correct response!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

any pics to see how bad? i'd shoot it first and see how it runs,probably won't make one bit of differance..maybe give Ruger a call too and tell them your concerns..

Here's a few closeups. gun4.jpggun2.JPG

I've gone ahead and contacted Ruger as well. The response was they'd get back to me within three days. That's fair I think. I also talked to the dealer. He said I need to through Ruger as well. Yea, should have given this a closer look before 'signing the papers'. Now I'm paying for not doing that. Some things I just never learn.

I had a problem with my SP101 AFTER shooting it, took it back to my LGs and he shipped it off to Ruger. Got it back in 10 days! Problem fixed.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    good that i saw the pics-----id give it a let-go.

you did not notice it in the store ( bet next perchase gets a closer look....)
    and it does not affect function. matter of fact it is visual in nature only and if
    not pointed out would likely go unseen.
    rather picky-eune at its price range and as tooling marks go.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

yup,from those pictures it definitely looks very rough almost unfinished,let Ruger have a look at those pics.i don't think it will effect the shootability of the gun but it's bran new and should not look like that..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links