Another Kahr CM9 Problem Right Out of the Box!! - Page 2

Another Kahr CM9 Problem Right Out of the Box!!

This is a discussion on Another Kahr CM9 Problem Right Out of the Box!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu Where on earth do you get this 50/50 ? Are you saying that 50 percent are DOA? Do you own a ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Another Kahr CM9 Problem Right Out of the Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Where on earth do you get this 50/50 ? Are you saying that 50 percent are DOA? Do you own a Kahr? Making a bold statement like that I would love to see your justification with data. Having a discussion about issues is one thing, hyperbole is another
    Proud owner of 2 Kahrs (wife and mine) No problems.
    don't get your knickers all knotted fanboy.
    read the comments from new kahr owners, it really seems like it is 50/50 getting one that works well right out of the box

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Sure wish i could mass produce something, make gobs of money off of, and only have a 50% rate of success. I guess it can happen with anything you purchase in life, but it must be a bummer when you spend the time researching, and then spend hard earned money only to find out it does not work well. GOod luck with it, and hope you get the bugs loose. Bunker
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    read the comments from new kahr owners, it really seems like it is 50/50 getting one that works well right out of the box
    Got any facts to back this up? I seriously doubt it's 50%... just more internet misinformation flying around. Kahr's happen to be quite reliable firearms but are built to very tight specifications and do require some effort on the part of their owners, some people don't like it - others accept it and end up with the best concealed firearm on the market in my opinion. The ONLY reason you hear of problems is because that's what most people come to the Internet for, answers to their issues.

Me, I love it when people return them as used - it allows me to purchase a sweet firearm at a great price.

Enjoy that CM9, it WILL serve you well and be a joy to shoot.

- As Thunder71 mentioned, a lot of people don't join message boards until they have an issue with something. If you went by threads just in DC, you would think that no gun made in the last year had better than a 50/50 chance of working. That includes Glock Gen4, Ruger LCP/LC9, Kimber Solo, Sig P238, etc... not to mention Taurus even working at all.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Fanboy? OK, whatever. I was just asking for your data. Seems like you have a sampling of less than 10 folks. Good stats. I asked if you had a Kahr to base an opinion on. I am assuming the answer is no. I guess if that is how you form an opinion that is cool. Me, I at least try the firearm out, read more about it, talk to folks I know and trust that actually have one and did the break in recommendation. But hey, call me crazy, that is how I form an informed opinion.

I've owned 4 Kahr pistols, including my current PM9. Of the four, three of them (including my current one) have had issues. The other three are long gone.

It really does not matter if it is 50/50 or not - the larger point is that Kahr pistols tend to be finnicky little beasts...or at least, you are much more likely to have issues with a Kahr than with other brands such as Glock. My own experience bears that out.

The Kahr pistols do indeed have tight tolerances. You can have all the individual components be within spec, yet still have issues. This is called "stacking of tolerances." Put a low-side-of-tolerance slide together with a high-side-of-tolerance frame...uh oh. High/high and low/low are ok...high/low and low/high are not ok. Kahr has to make sure their parts are sorted and put together according to where they are within the spec variance. If they get it wrong, you get a pistol that won't work.

Other (larger) pistols have a larger margin for error, and such parts sorting is not necessary. As long as the parts are within spec, you are ok.

The only Kahr I will tolerate is the PM9, because it will (barely) fit in a pocket. I have zero tolerance for the larger Kahr pistols. If I'm going to go larger, I'm carrying a Glock.

OP - Hope you get yours sorted out.
    Philly Boy and Glockwatcher like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Start a range report thread about how great your new gun is [insert brand], and you'll get responses about how other folks love them too. Start a range report thread about how you dislike a new gun because of this or that and you'll get responses about how other folks have had issues too. Just the way things are. It's my humble opinion that Kahr makes a pretty decent gun, and that their micro 9's work well, but hey, maybe something got tweaked an now they have an issue, who knows.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    I guess I am the rare person who has a Khar that is 100% flawless and accurate as heck.
    zonker1986 and mr surveyor like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

All little auto's have there issues.I'm sure the 50/50 comment was a little much.No reason to hang anybody.lol.Some people start negative threads about guns they don't even own.That's the parts that gets me.
    Reports on the Beretta Nano are coming in... welcome to reality.
    suntzu likes this.
    Don't believe everything you think.

That was based on facts, not made up information. And by the way, I've handled one.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I guess I am the rare person who has a Khar that is 100% flawless and accurate as heck.
    I too have one that is flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

N=1 (for me), mine was a problem child. I might suggest that someone design a poll to survey issues associated with Kahr's if not already done recently.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    I too have one that is flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PM9 and an MK9 both flawless.

If you do have issues, Kahr will take care of it.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Dare I offer a suggestion to the OP, instead of trying to figure out the exact percentage of Kahr's that are flawed out of the box?

To take down a Kahr, I may have a suggestion. I have found that the take down pin comes out much easier when the index marks are NOT lined up. I can pop that pin with the marks lined up, but its a pain in the rear. Try this... push on the exposed end of the pin with your thumb as you slowly pull back the slide (most easily accomplished by wrapping your hand behind the "beaver tail" and over the rear sights. Then just squeeze to slide the slide backwards. Make sense?) You will feel a "click" as you are pulling the slide back. (kinda makes you feel like a safe cracker ) At that point, the pin will come right out with hardly any resistance. When putting it back together, again, dont line up the index marks. Pull the slide back as you look in the hole. Once everything lines up, put the pin back in. I have no idea why, but the index marks seem to make it more difficult. Took me a little bit to figure that one out.

I've said it before, i'll say it again. Having a new gun with issues out of the box straight up sucks. It's almost as frustrating as getting mayonaise on a hamburger. The good news is that Kahr customer service is excellent, and they stand behind their product. Once you work out the kinks, it's the best 9mm carry gun you could ever wish for. Like a good hunting dog...it takes a little patience, time, and frustration, but when trained, well worth it!

Dont give up on it... Good luck!
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    That was based on facts, not made up information. And by the way, I've handled one.

Handling is not the same as owning.I shoot one every week.And your facts where not the best.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Same here. Love my Kahrs IMO they rock!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links