Another Kahr CM9 Problem Right Out of the Box!!

This is a discussion on Another Kahr CM9 Problem Right Out of the Box!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got my CM9 home last night and tried to disassemble it for cleaning. Took me forever: slide overly stiff, take down pin wouldn't budge,etc., ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Another Kahr CM9 Problem Right Out of the Box!!

Another Kahr CM9 Problem Right Out of the Box!!

Just got my CM9 home last night and tried to disassemble it for cleaning. Took me forever: slide overly stiff, take down pin wouldn't budge,etc., etc... . FINALLY got it apart, cleaned it and then the" fun" began. No way in h--- was I able to get it back together. Slide was a literal pain trying to get it to the right spot; pin would NOT advance in the hole; finally I gave up and took it to a gunsmith this morning. He struggled with it and, finally, got it apart and together again.Diagnosis: possible burrs inside the frame that wouldn't allow the slide to function properly. Advice: put the recommended 200 rds. thru it and see what results. Thankfully, I bought it from a Davidson'e dealer so I can always send it back for repair or replacement; but what a PAIN! Never had so much trouble with any of my guns right out of the box, so I can empathize with those who have had similar problems. However, I love the size, feel and convenience of this gun and hope things will eventually work out without too much frustration. One plus: the gunsmith wrestled with the gun for about an hour and didn't charge me a dime! Needless to say, I'll go to him next time and make sure he charges me. Comments?
    bandrich likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

P.S. I did rack the slide 200 times BEFORE I even tried to disassemble it and, in addition, watched a video in which the person moved the slide like greased lightning and popped the pin out with a slight push of his left thumb. That really PO'd me when I saw that and went back to my struggle!LOL.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    I think it is still a good company. Right now people are purchasing guns at near record levels. I think Kahr is just trying to keep up with demand and maybe is cutting (or not cutting) some corners. they need to keep the quality level up or people will purchase other brands that do.
    Philly Boy and 10thmtn like this.

Not a very good day for you. I hope you are able to resolve.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Just bought a new CM9 myself. I haven't stripped it down or started the break in period yet. I'll try to post my results here after I do so.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Mine was also very stiff when I bought it, just due to the spring mainly. I couldn't find any defects other than a small plastic burr on the rear of the frame that was only cosmetic and quickly removed with a dremel. The take down is a little tough at first but once you find a good way to hold it, it's pretty cake. No tools needed.

Not trying to insult your intelligence but you realized there was a little half moon shaped key hole above and to the back of the pin you have to line up with the hole in the slide to get the pin out right? I apologize if I'm not explaining this in an easy way. I just need to take a picture lol.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Kahrs seem to be a 50/50 deal
    some are good right out of the box others are DOA and need to go back for work
    the good news is that they usually get it right when you send it back to them, the thing that stinks is that you have to send it back.
    Philly Boy likes this.

When I first got my latest PM9, the takedown pin was nearly impossible to remove without a punch. Now, 700 rounds later, I can remove it with my thumb.

I watched a YouTube video last night of another owner having an issue with his CM9 - seems the barrel was sticking at a certain point when sliding back and forth in the upper. I know Kahr outsources some of their parts - might be a bad batch of barrels and/or slides out there. Probably not related to your issues, but interesting nonetheless.

Now that you've got it back together, shoot the 200 rounds, and see what happens. Good luck!
    Philly Boy likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

GM
    A common mistake that people make is to believe that a PM9/MK9/CM9 is like any other semi-auto, and that is totally wrong. These sub Kahrs are very tight pistols, and since the recoil spring is very strong it can be hard to disassemble and assemble them again, as well as to rack the slide. I do not have any experience with the CM9, but I do have with the PM9 and the MK9, and they are awesome firearms. The CM9 and the PM9 are basically the same pistol. I strongly recommend you to read the owner's manual carefully, and if it is not enough visit KahrTalk Forums.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the good news is that they usually get it right when you send it back to them, the thing that stinks is that you have to send it back.
    Sure wish i could mass produce something, make gobs of money off of, and only have a 50% rate of success. I guess it can happen with anything you purchase in life, but it must be a bummer when you spend the time researching, and then spend hard earned money only to find out it does not work well. GOod luck with it, and hope you get the bugs loose. Bunker
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    Where on earth do you get this 50/50 ? Are you saying that 50 percent are DOA? Do you own a Kahr? Making a bold statement like that I would love to see your justification with data. Having a discussion about issues is one thing, hyperbole is another
    Proud owner of 2 Kahrs (wife and mine) No problems.

Kahr = Unification Church = I choose to spend my money elsewhere.
    ksholder likes this.

Had issues from day one with my pm, ditch it after a little over 300 rounds of constant jams, ftf and fte and went with a g26 for its replacement and havent looked back. Go Glock:-)

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Kahr = Unification Church = I choose to spend my money elsewhere.
    - Because we all know that all of the money goes there and not one dime goes to the workers in Worcester, MA. Sounds as good of a reason as any to avoid a firearm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

To me it does. Thank god we live in a free country where I have that choice.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links