Pocket Holster Review for Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on Pocket Holster Review for Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to use defensive carry as my review for anything I might buy, so I figured I might as well contribute something. I have ...

Thread: Pocket Holster Review for Ruger LCR

I like to use defensive carry as my review for anything I might buy, so I figured I might as well contribute something.

I have 3 pocket holsters for the LCR: Mika's, Remora, and Stoner.

The first holster I bought was a Mika's Pocket Holster. It had a good price, and Mr Mika called me himself to talk about carry options and my specific needs. It is a simple, well built, very flimsy, but very functional leather holster. It worked well and I was very happy with it. The Mika positions well in the pocket, it stays in pocket on draw, and it's not bulky. The main drawback is that when it is out of the pocket, there is no retention at all. I wore it with loose khaki's once, and I was worried about the gun falling out the whole time. In terms of printing, the Mika does a good job of obscuring the gun.

The second holster I bought was the Remora. For 25 bucks, this is a great holster. It positions well in the pocket, it stays put on drawing, and it holds the gun tight when out of the pocket. The drawback is that it's bulkier in the pocket, compared to the other two. Also, IWB would work perfect with this holster, whereas the other two would not work. In terms of printing, the Remora also does a good job of obscuring, but it seems a little pillow-like in the front pocket.

My last holster is a Stoner Pocket holster. I think it was around 35 bucks. The leather is thin but solid feeling, and I wish more holsters went in this direction. The fit and finish of this holster are excellent, and it is thin, thin, thin. The holster so far has good retention, and holds the gun tight when not in the pocket. The downside is that if you draw, the holster does not stay in the pocket as well as the Remora. In this regard, the Remora is Excellent, the Mika is very good, and the Stoner is decent. Also, in my large pocket relax fit jeans, my LCR will sometimes take a slight diagonal position, with the grip canted forward a bit in my pocket (if that makes sense). I can still get a good grip, but Ideally it would stay with the barrel pointing straight down. The Remora holds this straight down position well, and the Mika does a pretty good job of it too. The Stoner deals with printing in a different way. There are more prominent angles and corners in this holster, so if you are looking at a pocket, you might notice more protrusions on the denim of your jeans. However, the outline of a gun is well masked, so it just looks like you have keys and a phone or something in your pocket, not 5 rounds of fury.

If you had to guess at this point, I think that one stands as a favorite. And I would probably agree with that sentiment. That said, my current daily carry choice is...... the Stoner. The main reason is that it just slides in and out of my pocket with ease. I most often wear jeans with big pockets, so all three fit easily. The stoner just feels like nothing. Compromise, for sure, but I'm happy with it. Plus, I'm pretty sure that I will be giving the other holsters another run or two, and will eventually settle on what works best.

First, the Stoner:

photo(23).jpgphoto 25 help.JPGphoto(24).jpg

Try the desantis nemesis, you will look no further

The Mika photo(4).JPGphoto.JPG

I added the wrap around the holster to help keep it in the pocket, though it doesn't really need it. Maybe it helps a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Try the desantis nemesis, you will look no further
    Qthis is the one that carries my LCP. It's perfect.

Links