Anyone Else Carry a Ruger SR9c?

This is a discussion on Anyone Else Carry a Ruger SR9c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to CCW and I bought an SR9c specifically for use in carry and range use. My 10.5" barreled .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone Else Carry a Ruger SR9c?

Anyone Else Carry a Ruger SR9c?

I'm new to CCW and I bought an SR9c specifically for use in carry and range use. My 10.5" barreled .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk is dang hard to conceal!

Any info on reliability/suitability, etc. of carrying the SR9c, I'm all ears!
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

2. Remove Ads

I have one and carry it everyday. I love that firearm and will probably carry it for the rest of my life. I carry it in a crossbreed quick clip which is an outstanding holster also. My only regret with the holster is that since it only has one clip and it is off centered, the front of the holster tends to ride up some when I sit down and my hips push it up some. This isn't a big deal for me since adjustment isn't a problem, quick and easy.

I have had my SR9c for a little over a year now and have around 1K rounds through it. Not one failure at all. My carry ammo is gold dots +p 124 gr. I also have used the standard power 147 gold dots (I use the 124s because my local dealer can't keep 147s in stock). I think I have shot about 100 of each through it also without a problem.

If I ever traded the SR9c for a different "main" carry firearm, it would be an SR40c... :) :) But then again, I'm a Ruger guy and have more then any other type.

--B

I carry the SR9c. It is a great gun.

I use a double phalanx from shieldedholsters.com (knock off of the crossbreed, cheaper and ships faster, combat cut doesn't cost extra).

My gun had a tight recoil spring and mag springs, but they broke in wonderfully. All I did was cycle the action for a few hours while watching tv.

Clean out the shipping grease out really well, adjust sights if needed, get used to the nice trigger, decide whether to use the pinky extension or not (I chose not to). Carry it and enjoy.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    My SR9c is one of my favorite shooting guns. I carried it until I put a Laserguard on it ......sort of made it more bulky, and I had to make a new holster for it. I made it my nightstand gun now and I still love it.

Of all the modern guns I own, I've put more rounds through the SR9c. Over 1000 rounds flawlessly. I love shooting it, and it is extremely accurate.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

VIP Member
    No I don't..... I carry M&P and Glock.....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I did carry an SR9c until about two months ago. It was(is) a great gun. Reliable, fun to shoot & great size for carry. I liked it a lot but could never get over the fact that it had a magazine safety. Although when I bought it I figured it wasn't a big deal. So now I carry an M&P 9c and like it better than the SR9c.

I've been carrying mine every day for about a year and a half. It's an excellent choice for a carry and range gun. It's accurate, has a nice trigger, is pleasant to shoot, and conceals easily. Make sure you clean the shipping grease out of the striker pin channel.

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    I've been carrying mine every day for about a year and a half. It's an excellent choice for a carry and range gun. It's accurate, has a nice trigger, is pleasant to shoot, and conceals easily. Make sure you clean the shipping grease out of the striker pin channel.
    Yup. Already cleaned it out (after firing 100 rounds through it...couldn't wait to shoot it!). Mine was actually pretty clean from the factory, but did get some grease out...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I originally got the SR9c for EDC. With the right holster, it carries very well. Still, I wound up getting an LC9 which is easier to conceal and lighter, and I usually carry that. The SR9c sees more range time, and comes along when I'm going into bad parts of town.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
    I did carry an SR9c until about two months ago. It was(is) a great gun. Reliable, fun to shoot & great size for carry. I liked it a lot but could never get over the fact that it had a magazine safety. Although when I bought it I figured it wasn't a big deal. So now I carry an M&P 9c and like it better than the SR9c.
    Sidewayz, if you didn't like the mag safety, it is really easy to remove. It will only take you a few minutes. On the back of the firearm, where the striker indicator is, there is a little hole to the side of it. Stick something small in it (I use a nail press) to push the spring in, then pull the rear plate down. Careful, the firing pin will pop out. Just pull it out and then you will see the mag safety, you can just let the mag safety fall out and your set. It is a good idea to do this anyways and clean all the grease out of the firing pin chamber anyways. If you search on youtube you can see several videos on how to remove the mag safety.
    shockwave likes this.

I own a lot of hand guns but chose to carry my Ruger SR9C most of the time.
    outstanding CC that if over looked . Fits right in with it smaller family membersruger (1).JPG.

Sidewayz, if you didn't like the mag safety, it is really easy to remove.
    It's so easy to remove the mag disconnect safety on the SR9c that you have to figure they wanted you to remove it. Smooths out the trigger, too. A child could do it.

In fact, it's so ridiculously simple that you have to figure that anyone who says they got rid of the gun because of it never owned one in the first place. Now, getting one out of an LC9 is more difficult, but you can do that as well and I highly recommend doing so.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I carry a Ruger SR9c in a Comp-tac Spartan. The gun is comforting and easy to conceal.

I have an SR9c and don't carry it often but love the gun. I'd have to look in my files but I'm about 2600 to 2700 rounds into it and not one malfunction. If i lost some weight I'd be able to carry it more often but for now it is a great nighstand gun with the 17 round magazine.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have a SR9C, bought it about a month ago about a week before I fired for my CCW.
    Brought it home and cleaned it up and put 70 rounds through it.
    I was very impressed with the way it felt on my hand as I shot and how accurate it is without touching the sights.
    I will be carrying this one for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links