Cleaning a gun

This is a discussion on Cleaning a gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on another forum and they were talking about putting grease on their guns. I just finished cleaning my Kimber .45 Here is the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a gun

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Cleaning a gun

I was on another forum and they were talking about putting grease on their guns.

I just finished cleaning my Kimber .45

Here is the way I cleaned it:

Take the gun apart and using a toothbrush dipped in Hoppes's number 9 solvent I brush every part of the gun I dip a bore brush in the solvent and run it through the barrel a few times in both directions. Then I wipe every piece with a diaper. then I spray every piece with Remington Rem Oil. put it back together and wipe it down one more time with the diaper, reload it, holster it.

Should I be doing something else??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

personally i like the way you do it . just make sure it doesn't drip with oil . i also like to fire a couple of rounds thru a cleaned gun .just to verify the function properly aspect .
    elance

Assistant Administrator
    We have had I think at least one thread discussing cleaning - might find that with a search.

But yeah sounds OK what you do - and I have drifted away from grease for slide lube - I have found it too likely to gather crud and actually stiffen slide action. I do use grease on some parts like locking lugs etc.

I now use Militec1 for slide lube and Mobil1 for internals. With latter less is more - no need to ''flood'' gun parts with lube. On slide there should be probably a small surplus after reassembly but when that is wiped off there should not be any obvious excess.

Even if I have not shot my 226 carry piece itself in a while (I practice with 228 mostly) - I still without needing a full clean - field strip - wipe rails and relube.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sounds adequate TJ. In fact, I would follow in your footsteps, but my youngest is 24, so, no diapers!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Hey SwiftyJuan,
    Just remember when that diaper said 8-12 pounds, they weren't meaning the amount of grease you could wipe off the gun!

miwall
    Miwall

I would agree with what everyone said that you are doing a fine job doing it the way you are. I would agree that grease tends to gum things up a LOT after shooting a lot. The gun oil is designed for shooting. Use it like you are. Your gun will love you for it

The only thing in your procedure that I would change would be dipping your brushes into the solvent bottle. This just contaminates your solvent.

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    Holy Moses! How you guys must suffer. I poured my Hoppe's #9 into the septic tank, years ago, and have never looked back! The stuff stinks up the house; it doesn't work all that well; and, my wife absolutely hates it. (So do the dogs)

Never again!

Nowadays, I rarely use slotted tips or jags; (only on rifles or magazines) instead I use a Hoppe's Tynex brush with a cotton flannel patch wrapped around it.

I do all my pistol cleaning with: (1) IOSSO bore paste or (2) Flitz polish, and Ballistol oil. In a pinch, I'll use Breakfree CLP.

I do use a little, 'grease' on the internal mechanisms - Either Browning, 'Midas' gun grease or Sentry Solutions, 'Hi-Slip' gun grease. Again, in a pinch, I'll use (Are ya ready?) good old fashioned Vaseline Petroleum Jelly.

All of my wet weather or long term barrel storage is done with Sentry Solutions, 'Smooth Kote'.

There are lots of gun cleaning products on the market that stink a whole lot less and work a whole lot better than funky old #9.

Ya need to break the habit!

http://www.ballistol.com/

http://www.iosso.com/MivaStore/merch...de=GunCleaning

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/HiSlipkew.shtml

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/SmoothKotekew.shtml

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...type_id=12988C

Caution: Do NOT use IOSSO, 'Eliminator' gun oil; it is much too light and porous for firearms. (Works great on electric razors, though!) Nothing will ruin your powder and primers faster than, 'Eliminator' oil. (Maybe that's, 'Why' they call it that!)
    Last edited by Ghost Who Walks; August 28th, 2006 at 12:10 PM.

Hey, I like the smell of ole #9.

1) Shoot gun repeatedly at the range
    2) Go home
    3) Remove magazine, ensure chamber empty
    4) Spray CLP on boresnake and run through barrel
    5) Insert loaded magazine
    6) Place gun on hip
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    2) Go home
    6) Place gun on hip
    Ditto, man :) (Although, I usually take the slide off, and look around, make sure everything's OK, before returning it to service...)
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    2) Go home
    6) Place gun on hip
    Glock owner? Yeah, me too!

The only thing I'd add to Timmy Jimmy's method would be to run a few patches through the barrel until they come out clean, then run a lightly oiled patch as the last thing.

I've heard & read, but not verified, that a metal bore rod can slightly affect the accuracy of the weapon if the rod is allowed to drag on the muzzle end of the bore.

I too clean my weapons after every firing. I've heard that, but again not verified, if the contaminants are left in the barrel they can cause pitting.

Ain't nothing wrong with the smell of #9, as long as I don't use it in the house - if I do, then there's a problem.

Ahhhh...I love the smell of Hoppe's in the morning...it smell's like...

My youth. My dad shot Benchrest competitively and made barrels. I grew up with the original #9 (some would say back when it actually worked).

Baseball…apple pie…and Hoppe’s!!!

My wife loves the smell of Hoppe's. She asked me why there wasn't a men's cologne that smelled like that?

Speaking of cleaning a gun. A CHL instructor told me about some of the guns that show up during his instructions for the shooting qualifications. He has stories of being able to pour sand out of a 1911, revolvers that are so dirty that the cylinders won't turn and a lot of other things.

Reminds me, I need to clean my carry piece!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links