Pocket 380 Size Comparison

This is a discussion on Pocket 380 Size Comparison within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I mentioned this in another thread but I thought I would separate out my question here to see if I could get more response. Iíve ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By azchevy

Thread: Pocket 380 Size Comparison

I mentioned this in another thread but I thought I would separate out my question here to see if I could get more response. Iíve decided to get one of the 380 pocket pistols. Itís between the LCP, TCP, and the P3AT. Canít afford the Kahr or Sig and Iíve read of just as many issues with those as these others. My question is, looking at the specs they all seem to be basically the same size and weight. However, when I looked at them at the store, the TCP just looks bigger and I know itís maybe a couple oz heavier. For those whoíve handled or carried them do you notice a descernable difference in bulk or weight between the TCP and the other two or is it just a visual illusion of sorts. I like the TCP but this is going to be the gun I carry when I canít carry my 642 so I need the smallest lightest within reason.

The TCP feels like a cell phone in my pocket

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I can tell the difference when I put my friends TCP in my pocket instead of my LCP but I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm paying attention. they're so close in size an weight that I'd just get whichever one you like best. I like the last shot hold open on the TCP. wish my Ruger had it.

Member LOS has done many charts to that effect... I am not sure if he has them on a website or not.

Have you considered the S&W bodyguard? I bought one for my wife. I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProton View Post
    Have you considered the S&W bodyguard? I bought one for my wife. I really like it.
    I like the Bodyguard but it just seems to be closer to the upper end on size. I could be wrong but it seems closer in size to my 642 and not as diminutive as a little Kel Tec and in that case I would stick with the 642.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Here you go I hope this helps with pics from our friend's at Gunblast.com God Bless

DSC09916.JPG

DSC09918.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    I like the Bodyguard but it just seems to be closer to the upper end on size. I could be wrong but it seems closer in size to my 642 and not as diminutive as a little Kel Tec and in that case I would stick with the 642.

The bottom line with the little 380's as well as the slimline nines is that nobody that manufactures them has figured it out entirely yet. You get a good one, you get a bad one.

I bought an LCP, I got a bad one. I bought a P3AT I got a good one. I bought an LC9 I got a bad one, I bought a PF9 I got a bad one. My friend bought a PF9, he got a good one. Same friend bought a p3AT that is problematic. We kept what worked.

So pretty much to sum it up: expect that there may be disappointment. If you find a good one, use it. If not send it back to get fixed and then sell it, and try again. Frustrating I know but it is what it is. Buy one you like, and roll the dice... chances are more than likely you will get lucky and get a keeper. But there is that small chance, you get one of the problematic ones..... mentally prepare for it.

Or just go by an LCR or j-frame with a boot grip and remove all doubt.
    gunthorp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The bottom line with the little 380's as well as the slimline nines is that nobody that manufactures them has figured it out entirely yet. You get a good one, you get a bad one.

I bought an LCP, I got a bad one. I bought a P3AT I got a good one. I bought an LC9 I got a bad one, I bought a PF9 I got a bad one. My friend bought a PF9, he got a good one. Same friend bought a p3AT that is problematic. We kept what worked.

So pretty much to sum it up: expect that there may be disappointment. If you find a good one, use it. If not send it back to get fixed and then sell it, and try again. Frustrating I know but it is what it is. Buy one you like, and roll the dice... chances are more than likely you will get lucky and get a keeper. But there is that small chance, you get one of the problematic ones..... mentally prepare for it.

Sounds about like what I've found looking on the web. Inconsistency with every brand. And I already have the j frame I just need the boot grip I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Here you go I hope this helps with pics from our friend's at Gunblast.com God Bless

DSC09916.JPG

DSC09918.JPG
    Pretty close at least with the laser.

Sounds about like what I've found looking on the web. Inconsistency with every brand. And I already have the j frame I just need the boot grip I guess.
    I had the checkered rosewood ones on mine and loved them...

S&W Secret Service J Frame Rnd. |S&W Secret Service J Frame Rnd. Butt grips Rosewood Secret Service Grips. These Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post

The OP was regarding 380. That being said, I also have an LCR in .38 and if I had to choose between that and a 380 (could only have one), I would choose the LCR.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I mentioned this in another thread but I thought I would separate out my question here to see if I could get more response. Iíve decided to get one of the 380 pocket pistols. Itís between the LCP, TCP, and the P3AT. Canít afford the Kahr or Sig and Iíve read of just as many issues with those as these others. My question is, looking at the specs they all seem to be basically the same size and weight. However, when I looked at them at the store, the TCP just looks bigger and I know itís maybe a couple oz heavier. For those whoíve handled or carried them do you notice a descernable difference in bulk or weight between the TCP and the other two or is it just a visual illusion of sorts. I like the TCP but this is going to be the gun I carry when I canít carry my 642 so I need the smallest lightest within reason.
    I really love My TCP fits well in my pocket and the accuracy is crazy for being so small. Look forward on carrying it

I just bought a Sig 238... I liked the feel and look... (looks like a 1911... Could not resist) Picked it up yesterday... I won't be able to shoot it for a couple of more days...
    Attached Images
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Sponsored Links