sa xd sc ?

This is a discussion on sa xd sc ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just a quick question for you folks that have the xd sc's. Do you carry using the extended mag or not? Also is the recoil ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sa xd sc ?

sa xd sc ?

just a quick question for you folks that have the xd sc's. Do you carry using the extended mag or not? Also is the recoil using the shorter mag a lot more noticable than with the extended mag? I'd go and test myself but not ranges around me that will let you do that.

2. Remove Ads

i have the XD 9 SC.

most of the time for IWB carry (tucker texas heritage usually, sometimes cheap uncle mike's neoprene IWB), i use the 10 rd (regular cap) mag with the pearce grip extension. i carry a second mag that is the 15 rd'er with the extended sleeve. So, that gives me 10+1 with 15 more if things have gone REALLY pear shaped.

occasionally i carry the XD SC on an ankle holster for one of the jobs i have. for that, i carry the 10 round mag with the regular (non pearce) mag floor plate.

I have the Sub in 9mm, and although I don't carry yet, I plan on carrying it with the short, 10 round magazine. The grip's just too long on the Hi-cap mag for concealment; at least that's how it seems to me. 10+1 is okay with me, and I'll probably carry the 15 rd mag as a spare.

As far as shooting goes, I don't notice a decrease in my performance no matter which mag. I have large(er) sized hands, although I'm a pretty slim build so my fingers aren't so meaty. I almost prefer to use the 10 rd mags because I can "squish" my fingers (comfortably) around the grip, and my pinky almost feels locked in place. It gives me a real snug grip whereas the 15 rd mag has lots of extra room. It's just something you'll have to feel out for yourself.

+1 on the pearce extension with the 10rd mag. I sold my SC, but the sc conceals well with the 10rd and the pearce extension makes the grip perfect.

To me it defeats the purpose to carry with the xtended mag, might as well have a svc model then.

you know the main reason i really didnt consider buying one of these is because i couldnt get my pinky on the grip and to be honest i didnt think about those extensions....lmao. Maybe i will get one now...lol.

I carry my XD .40sc with the short magazine in (no pinky extention, I hate those things) and with the full sized 12 rounder with the sleeve on my left hip next to the flashlight.

I have 2 of the shorty mags without the pinky extentions and the 12 round mag with the grip sleeve.

And no, I can detect no difference in recoil with either magazine. Both are very managable. Due to the grip on the XD being so good, even the snappy recoil of the .40 round is no problem.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

My wife and I both have XD40 subs. Both carry with the short magazines. I notice a very small difference with the extended mag, her hands are small enough to get a full grip on the short mags, she doesn't notice any difference.

We had the exact opposite experience with a Kahr P40. My wife found the recoil to be unpleasantly intense. I found it only a little bit stronger than the XD. The P40 is proportioned differently, and I'm able to get about 95% of a full grip--I suspect that this counteracts some of the effects of the increased recoil and narrower grip for me. Since she's already getting a full grip on the XD, the extra length of the Kahr grip doesn't help her.

i've done a little research on people who take the 4" service model and cut down the grip to subcompact size and use the SC mags. the grip is the hardest part to conceal.
    haven't grown the stones to do that one yet... be interested to see how that effects recoil.

+1 on the short mag with the pierce. Look at it this way: if you plan on carrying with the extended mag all you end up with is a pistol with a short sight radius a slightly more jumpy recoil and a full size butt that is more difficult to conceal. If you plan on carrying with the extended mag might as well get the 4" model and get a weapon that will be the same size and a wee bit easier to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Exmasonite View Post
    i've done a little research on people who take the 4" service model and cut down the grip to subcompact size and use the SC mags. the grip is the hardest part to conceal.
    haven't grown the stones to do that one yet... be interested to see how that effects recoil.
    Me too and I will probably have it done here when they come out with the sc mag's, unless I decide to do it myself. It would probably be worth 70.00 to have it done right though.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html

you know the main reason i really didnt consider buying one of these is because i couldnt get my pinky on the grip and to be honest i didnt think about those extensions....lmao. Maybe i will get one now...lol.
    I know what you mean. I had the extension before the gun got here because I tried one both ways and hated my pinky just hanging off. The pearce makes it perfect though and with the way it's angled it doesn't make it harder to conceal. Here's a couple of pic's before I sold it:

this just might be my bday present gotta love the parents and in-laws joint gift if im lucky!

+1 for the Pierce grips

how many of you use the holster that comes with the gun? if not what would you recommend for owb? either belt slide or paddle.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I use a Desantis thumb break rig fro OWB carry of my Xd's. http://www.holster.com/001.html
    Fear No Evil.

I carry mine in a comp tac CTAC and love it. If you reverse the tabs you can get enough cant to hide the extended mags easy. With that said I havnt reversed my tabs and use the standard sized mag and the gun easily conceals under anything. I had a fairly tight polo that I knew that wouldnt conceal it but when I tried it....the gun disappears. The few people that know I carry I have challenged to point out to me when we hang out if they think I am carrying and no one has made me even while looking for it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links