I plan to make all my gun and ammo purchases before Presidential Election time.

This is a discussion on I plan to make all my gun and ammo purchases before Presidential Election time. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see another ammo shortage and run on buying guns before the next election. If I would have bought enough ammo for a one year ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: I plan to make all my gun and ammo purchases before Presidential Election time.

I plan to make all my gun and ammo purchases before Presidential Election time.

I see another ammo shortage and run on buying guns before the next election. If I would have bought enough ammo for a one year supply I would have saved a lot of money and frustration last election.

I am planning to buy a used Glock 21 and Ruger GP-100 4" that are in good shape, I will need some 45acp ammo and some more 9mm along with bullets and primers and powder. I have some 38 special bullets and plan on getting some 158 LSWC for both 38sp. and 357.

Anyone else see the possible supply problem?

2. Remove Ads

If you are in the market for a new gun, I would certainly make the purchase sooner rather then later. Supplies will tighten up and the prices of what's available will go up.

Yup, I see the shortages/price hikes on the way.

I have my stockpile reserves ready but will try to stock up on range ammo sooner than later.

Gun stores and manufacturers have to love the effect of these presidential elections.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I talked to a guy at a gun store a couple of weeks ago that told me he's starting to have trouble getting ammo from his supplier. He said that he thinks a shortage is coming up and I had this conversation about a week after someone on here posted a similar prediction. Some people also say that ammo will never be cheaper than it is now. Given the state our economy is in and given the rate our money is loosing its value, I tend to believe this statement is true.

If you want to stock pile some ammo right now, I won't say its a bad idea. Predicting the future, however, can be a little tricky per all of the unforeseen contingencies that come into play. With that being said, I would want some ammo for emergencies but I don't think I would put myself in hardship for the time being all for the sake of stocking up on ammo.
    Philly Boy likes this.

You're about 4 years too late...
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just wondering....aren't discussions like this, complete with speculation that prices will continue to go up and you need to go out and buy now...part of what creates higher prices and supply shortages???

Hmmmmm.....
    mr surveyor and highonroof like this.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Just wondering....aren't discussions like this, complete with speculation that prices will continue to go up and you need to go out and buy now...part of what creates higher prices and supply shortages???

Hmmmmm.....
    Oh definitely. Its like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Just like any other "hot" commodity, ammo is no different. If makers want to sell it for a higher price, they "create" a shortage and drive up the price with increased demand.

I have seen this scenario too many times to count and it all started with the so-called gasoline shortages we experienced way back in the 1970's. Once they got the price wanted and then we had all the gasoline we needed. It also happend with coffee, toilet paper and you name it. Once companies realized they could have a "shortage" of products they could legally increase prices to keep up with the demand.

I want to purchase additional or extra ammunition just because I want it when I need it to shoot, and not be intimidated of another artificial shortage caused by unecessary fear.
    msgt/ret and Philly Boy like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

This is exactly what happened last time causing the shortage. I had friends that were buying 10,000 primers ans ammo by the case. It was the panic that caused the shortage.

Michael
    Diddle and highonroof like this.

Well I personally just do not get it. If we are pulling back troops and not needing as much ammo overseas then I would think just the opposite. Am I wrong? We should have more not less and the manufacturers should be sending more to the LGS than ever. I am also seeing more surplus ammo than ever and I would think that could only drive up supply.

What is expensive, which I assume it is due to so many CCW permits and home defense situations, is the premium ammo in boxes of 20. Now there is a racket. 20 bullets for twice to three times the price of practice ammo. That's a deal!!

Can't it all just settle down so we can all enjoy our hobby in peace?!?!?
    FPW823 and Philly Boy like this.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Our distributors are out of a lot of guns and ammo. A lot of things we are trying to order, we can't get.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I talked to a guy at a gun store a couple of weeks ago that told me he's starting to have trouble getting ammo from his supplier. He said that he thinks a shortage is coming up
    Would you expect a guy at a gun shop to tell you, "Oh, prices are still coming down. Don't buy anything right now. Wait a while."

Ish doan thank so. Over time, as the market has gotten saturated with firearms and the war drawdowns have reduced demands on ammo manufacturers, prices for guns and ammo have been steadily falling. I remember when Wal-Mart almost never had .38 sp or .357 in stock. Very different now. S&W revolvers were usually over $500 and now the snubbies are often way under that.

If you think that there's even the slightest, most remote chance that any politician will try to push gun control legislation, I've got some real estate in the Everglades to sell you. Ain't gonna happen. Quite the reverse: expect to see more innovation and better guns on the market at aggressive prices.
    Sig35seven and Philly Boy like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Well I personally just do not get it. If we are pulling back troops and not needing as much ammo overseas then I would think just the opposite. Am I wrong? We should have more not less and the manufacturers should be sending more to the LGS than ever. I am also seeing more surplus ammo than ever and I would think that could only drive up supply.

What is expensive, which I assume it is due to so many CCW permits and home defense situations, is the premium ammo in boxes of 20. Now there is a racket. 20 bullets for twice to three times the price of practice ammo. That's a deal!!

Can't it all just settle down so we can all enjoy our hobby in peace?!?!?

There is a LOT about the current residents in the WH and DOJ that I do not get! I hope they depart soon.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Senior Moderator
    Semantics aside, one of the reasons that there will be a shortage is because the major distributors predict what will sell and what wont and they stock accordingly. The kicker is that they do this several months in advance and its just an educated guess that is based on the present market and supply and demand.

So they'll stock x number of guns,ammo and all things gun related. Since it takes time to manufacture these things, and get them delivered, if they do not forsee any potential problems ,such as a new war developing, a big factory burning down, a large producers of weapons going bankrupt, a tornado destroying a major gun powder producing facility, an administration pushing for more restrictive laws, the prices of metal skyrocketing,or a blockbuster movie in which a hero uses a gun and all of it sudden it becomes popular..then every thing is good to go and smooth, so that you can go down to the WallyWorld or your favorite gun shop and buy what you want, went you want it.

Any problem with the manufacture or distribution can affect your ability to purchase and it doesn't even have to be a real problem, it can be a perceived problem, one that might happen,or could happen but hasn't happened yet. It doesn't matter if its a problem that is, or could be, it can and will affect everything.

And yet...perception is a driving force whether it is real or not.

There are a lot of gun boards just like this one on the Internet with hundreds of thousands of reader, most of them just like us. When they start reading about supply issues, then most people will go into the self preservation mode and get what they need while they can. The few pounds of gunpowder that they wanted they will go out and get, to insure that they have some in the future, even if they have a few pounds alread on hand. Primers? Anyone here remember what happened to primers? No primers, no ammunition.

So yes,it is a self fulfilling prophecy and about the only advantage we have is understanding the problem before the general public does so at least we can get what we need.

And yes, there are those that will violently oppose the acts of going out and buying while you can and they will lament about prices, markets, laws, the present moon stage or the future,the past, the present and even they will discuss all things political, while refusing to believe that what we are seeing is anything but made up or orchestrated and they will speak down about anyone that "participates" in such schemes but it doesn't matter because it is what it is and no amount of hand wringing,or strong speech that goes either way that will affect the reality of it.

Fact is, you can get your stuff now, if its not too late, or ignore what is happening and wait until things smooth down again. Its your choice.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

A friend of mine owns a "small business" gun shop here in South Florida. I was visiting the shop the other day for a while, as I love to do, and we were talking about supply and stuff right now and the run up to the election.

Davidson's (or GalleryofGuns.com) is having real trouble getting guns in right now. Some of it is a lag from a busier than expected holiday season and the distributors hope to have the backlog cleared up in the next 6-12 weeks. My understanding is lots of distributors are having similar problems to Davidson's. We were discussing the possibility that this gun sales pace continues through the election, which could mean long waits or out of stock notices through the election and beyond. I hope it's not that bad, but it probably all depends on how nObama is polling.

Ammo is starting to worry me. My local WalMart has gotten frighteningly thin again after they improved a lot about 6 months ago. I still have another WalMart nearby who has an excellent manager in the sporting goods department and makes every effort to be as well stocked on ammunition as possible. Fortunately, they're still okay, but I saw him yesterday when I bought a bunch of .223 for my AR and even he said things are tightening again. That's not a good sign.

If you need (or just want) guns or ammo it would be a good idea to stock up with a good supply. This is probably prudent at all times, but with an uncertain election season I think vigilance is key. Having a year's supply, even if you have to ration your ammo a bit and cut down on trips to the range, is a good start.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links