Which Glock in 45acp and Why?

This is a discussion on Which Glock in 45acp and Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market to purchase a 45acp, my question is which Glock G30, G36 or G21, which do you prefer and why? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Which Glock in 45acp and Why?

I am in the market to purchase a 45acp, my question is which Glock G30, G36 or G21, which do you prefer and why? I am leaning toward the full sized for range use and woods carry.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    If you haven't already done so, see if you can get some range time on each model and see how you like them. With me personally, I'd be inclined to get the G21. I've never shot any of the Glocks in .45 but I shot a G27 (Subcompact .40S&W) and I perceived it to be a hard hitting gun. Some people don't have a problem with it but it wasn't a pleasant experience for me. I'm thinking .45 in a subcompact might be a similar experience. Like I said earlier though, I haven't shot it so I can't speak from personal experience.

I'll look forward to hearing what you decide to do, etc.

I carry the 36 because it fit me well and feels right. That's all. The small size of the 36 did not bother me since the 45 ACP recoil feels more like a push to me than a snap, as does 9 mm. I would try them all, and pick the one you shoot best.
    QKShooter and LeftofMars like this.

I have all three...
    The '36' is my EDC, easy to carry with a slightly thinner grip.
    The '30' is also easy to conceal, but is a bit heavier more .45 holes. The '36' beats it for EDC and 6 + 1 is fine for SD.
    The '21' is my night stand gun...add a SureFire 300x and it's the perfect HD gun...would also work great in the woods.
    Old School and QKShooter like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I have the G21 & G30. For woods use, HD & OC, the G21 is the bomb (you can conceal it if you try, but it is not as easy as the G30). For CC, the G30 works great and with 10+1 and an extra G21 mag, has 24 rounds on tap. I can conceal the G30 with no sweat and don't see the appeal of the G36 due to the reduced payload and fact that you can't use the higher cap mags from the 21. I suspect the G36 may conceal even easier, but I have no problems with the G30. Ret really likes his G36 - to each his own. Try them and see what you like.
    10thmtn likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I carry my G30 everyday. unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to fire the 21 or 36 but as for the 30 I love it. recoil is certainly manageable and its the perfect in-between .45
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

The G 30 is my preference for a 45 ACP gun. I carry that one especially when driving out of state, (while obeying all applicable rules for those visited states).

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I carry the 30. I used to carry the 21 on duty and the 30 off duty, until I realized I actually shot better with the compact. I sold the 21 and carried the 30 with a full sized 21 magazine with an A&G grip extender for on duty. Now that I am retired, the compact is perfect for me. The 30 is a little thick, but it doesn't bother me.

I agree you should try to find a range that rents guns and try them all if you can. Good luck, and tell us what you ended up doing.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have all three...
    The '36' is my EDC, easy to carry with a slightly thinner grip.
    The '30' is also easy to conceal, but is a bit heavier more .45 holes. The '36' beats it for EDC and 6 + 1 is fine for SD.
    The '21' is my night stand gun...add a SureFire 300x and it's the perfect HD gun...would also work great in the woods.

As retsupt99 has stated having all three would solve all of your needs.

The G-21 and G-36 work fine for me.

I carried a G-21 as a LEO for the last five years before retiring and I love it. Reliable and 14 rounds of .45 acp Gold Dots is very comforting.

If the gun is for range and woods you need to go no further than the G-21.

I have a G-36 for concealed carry but have shot a G-30 and really liked the feel and the fact that it carried 10 rounds.

Try and shoot them all and then decide.

Good luck.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've got average/large hands so I like the G21.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    G30 If you can get past the fat grip its a great gun.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am in the market to purchase a 45acp, my question is which Glock G30, G36 or G21, which do you prefer and why? I am leaning toward the full sized for range use and woods carry.
    Also look at the M&P45

I've had a couple G21s and shot a G30 when it first came out...the G21 is really thick, I love the 45 but not the 21 so much.

The 36 looks good, haven't handled one yet...45acp=1911=sexy.

I had a G30 and now have a G36. For me, the perfect carry gun would have been the G30 frame with the G36 slide. Too bad I sold the G30 before I got the 36 to try it out. The 36 is a great carry size and handles the round well.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have the G36 I love it for a ccw and I shoot it often at the range it's as accurate as you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links