Glock 30 conundrum

Glock 30 conundrum

This is a discussion on Glock 30 conundrum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, This is my first real post and I have a dilemma concerning a EDC gun. I currently have a Glock G30. It is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Glock 30 conundrum

Glock 30 conundrum

Hello,

This is my first real post and I have a dilemma concerning a EDC gun. I currently have a Glock G30. It is a great gun, shoots great, but is a little bulky for my frame(5'9" 160lbs). Prior to this I had a S&W 638 and before that a G23. The G23 was little too snappy and the 638 had a trigger pull that felt like 30lbs. I am now contemplating a S&W 640 only because I already have two guns in that caliber(Ruger New Model Blackhawk & S&W 66) and they are both way too big to carry unless I carry them in a backpack(not too conspicuous!). If I do decide to keep the G30 I'm going to have to find a really good rig that won't print in clothes in the middle of the Texas summer.
    Any insight,opinions, or information would be greatly appreciated.

Was the G23 a Gen 3 or Gen 4? I've got a Gen 4 and don't feel like it is snappy, but I haven't shot a Gen 3 to compare it with.

VIP Member
    I have both the G30 and 640. Love both weapons. I also carry both in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster (different holster for each gun). I love the way the PK BOP pulls the gun in tight to the body when used in IWB mode. I suspect that you can conceal the G30 with a PK BOP, I know I can. Also, having a good gun belt makes a big difference in your concealment efforts. I prefer A&G Belts.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

G19 is the same size frame as the G23, but in 9mm. Had a G23 and switched over for the same reasons. Although I carry a Walther PPS now since its so slim.

The PPS works great with anything I wear. I am only about an inch taller and about 10 lbs heavier.

Have you looked at a Glock 36 yet? I picked one up maybe 2 weeks ago. Thinner slide and frame but it still is the size of a 19 or 23 compact. It's their version of a .45 compact but one downside, it's single stacked so only 6+1. I can live with the capacity, I don't believe if I ever need to draw, I'll be emptying the mag. It's very thin and carries well, I carry OWB in a Galco holster, forget which model, but no print with a long shirt over it. Haven't tried a tee shirt but I imagine the same under one thats bulky.
    jumpwing and Glockwatcher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Was the G23 a Gen 3 or Gen 4? I've got a Gen 4 and don't feel like it is snappy, but I haven't shot a Gen 3 to compare it with.
    It was a Gen 3. I bought it before the Gen 4 came out.

I'm not sure what you are really concerned about. If you're worried about a slight bulge... wear a slightly larger size cover garment. If a compact size gun is just "too heavy" for you to carry, then don't carry a gun.

Personally, I don't worry about bulges showing through on my body. First of all, no one will really notice it, despite your subconscious nagging at you. Secondly, what I'm doing is perfectly legal. So I don't really care if someone thinks they know what I'm carrying and get their panties in a wad. Tough! I'm not breaking the law. And for what it's worth, no one has ever noticed anyway.

If you have a Glock 30, shoot it well, and like it... Then carry the darn thing and don't worry about what everyone thinks. Because in the end, it doesn't matter what they think.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks guys for the info. I'm gonna take a look at the holsters that were recommended and then make a decision. I keep going back to the .357 only because I already have two and a whole lot of ammo for them. The whole commonality of caliber thing(maybe a lever action in .357 in the future).

VIP Member
    My G30 rides in either

This: FIST, INC.

or

This: BLACK OPS PRO

Both keep it secure and concealed. I don't carry it all the time, but I'm always glad when I do.

Take a look at the Smartcarry. I wear mine left of center, and can carry a Glock 19 in there all day long and no one notices a thing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Before you go buying a new gun, how about spending the $12 on a spring set from Wolff springs to lighten up that trigger pull on your 638? It's easy as pie to do, there's great videos on youtube to show you how to do it as well as doing a little polish job, and you'll love how it feels.

If that fails I say you go try on a nice CCO or Officer's sized 1911. Yummy.

Your gun is only part of a carry system.

It also includes holster, belt and cover garment(s). Your investment in the whole system will determine your concealed carry effectiveness.
    Bark'n and kmagnuss like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

+1 on the Glock 36. The slightly slimmer slide makes a HUGE difference. I carry mine in a MTAC holster.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

Keep your G30!!!!

I have a G30SF. I also have a TLR2s on it which has made finding a holster quite a challange. I've found a few holsters that work, but none that work really well. I'm thinking about having a holster made specifically for my gun. However, for summer, you might consider a thigh holster inside your shorts (most of the guys I know wear long baggy shorts). If you HAVE to pull your gun, you can just reach down your shorts and pull it out. Or, alternatively, just wear an IWB holster with a good gun belt, baggy shorts and your shirt out. I seriously doubt anyone will really notice it. Keep your G30!!!!!

Im 5' 10" 128lbs. I conceal mine no problem. I have even worn it bowling and my team didnt even know.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links