Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 Range Report

This is a discussion on Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A buddy of mine bought this little beauty yesterday. He and I took it to the range today. This 3" 1911 looks great but man ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Ultra Compact 1911 Range Report

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

A buddy of mine bought this little beauty yesterday. He and I took it to the range today. This 3" 1911 looks great but man o man its recoil is beastly. I carry a 3" Kimber and it doesn't recoil like that. The SA 1911 is a great looking gun. The grips lack texture of any kind with the exception of its wooden sides. Accuracy is good. We have nicknamed it "the mule".

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

If you change to a 24# recoil spring it might tame the recoil some.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    If you change to a 24# recoil spring it might tame the recoil some.
    What's the poundage on the factory recoil spring? I'm still pretty green but with them being such small guns, I worry about changing parts like that in fear of it changing the functionality of the gun. But you think it'll help? Do tell! I'm about to get this baby and I want to make sure that I do everything I can to tame recoil and keep it running smooth.

Factory Officer sized 1911's use a 22# recoil spring. Also keep in mind that the gun you were firing may have HAD a 22# spring in it but due to use it could be much less now.

I just re-read your initial post... are you sure it's a 3" and not a 3.5" barrel? My springfield ultra compact is a 3.5", which is why I ask.
    Also, as far as reliability... if you do change the recoil spring you are better off running a bunch of ammo through it just like you would a new gun to make sure what works best. +p loads may work great while WWB might not cycle well.

Just for a little background, when a recoil spring gets weak it allows the slide to slam into the frame, which of course is transmitted to your hand very sharply. But on the flip side, if the spring is too heavy then it won't cycle all the way back and could stovepipe or not strip a round even.

I just re-read your initial post... are you sure it's a 3" and not a 3.5" barrel? My springfield ultra compact is a 3.5", which is why I ask.
    Also, as far as reliability... if you do change the recoil spring you are better off running a bunch of ammo through it just like you would a new gun to make sure what works best. +p loads may work great while WWB might not cycle well.

Just for a little background, when a recoil spring gets weak it allows the slide to slam into the frame, which of course is transmitted to your hand very sharply. But on the flip side, if the spring is too heavy then it won't cycle all the way back and could stovepipe or not strip a round even.
    Correction 3.5 "....and still a mule

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

My Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact is an absolute JOY to shoot ... The recoil is VERY manageable.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I've shot 3" aluminum 1911s, which are supposed to have harsh recoil, and found it no more unpleasant than a mid-sized .40 S&W, so I doubt that a steel .45 that's even bigger is going to recoil worse. Recoil's pretty suggestive, though.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    I've shot 3" aluminum 1911s, which are supposed to have harsh recoil, and found it no more unpleasant than a mid-sized .40 S&W, so I doubt that a steel .45 that's even bigger is going to recoil worse. Recoil's pretty suggestive, though.
    subjective

Just mho but this pistol has a more noticable recoil than my kimber ultra covert 2 and my G27 .40 cal. It's not that it is a bad thing. It was something I thought I would discuss.

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Just mho but this pistol has a more noticable recoil than my kimber ultra covert 2 and my G27 .40 cal. It's not that it is a bad thing. It was something I thought I would discuss.
    Interesting... my ultra's (raptor) recoil is also very manageable either shooting one handed, off handed etc. When I first bought/shot it I was prepared for a harsh recoil. I was pleasantly surprised how easy and accurate the little 3" .45 shot.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    subjective
    LOL thanks.

Would you say it's more flip, sharper recoil impulse, or longer recoil impulse?
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    My 3'' Springfield EMP isn't bad either. I prefer it to my G23

LOL thanks.

Would you say it's more flip, sharper recoil impulse, or longer recoil impulse?
    I would say its the snap back of it.

Patrick Henry

I would say its the snap back of it.
    snap back sounds like the spring ;had to change the one on my defender for that snap. The slide hitting the stop, Have a backup in 45 which is smaller and doesn't kick bad.
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links