Laser

Laser

This is a discussion on Laser within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently received my Florida concealed weapon permit, and, based partially on advice I received on this Forum, I will be buying a Smith and ...

Thread: Laser

Laser

I recently received my Florida concealed weapon permit, and, based partially on advice I received on this Forum, I will be buying a Smith and Wesson .38 small frame Model 642 revolver, which I plan to carry either in a pocket holster or in a tuckable waistband holster, depending upon what I am wearing at the time. I would appreciate feedback from other members as to whether it would be sufficiently worthwhile to spend the extra money for a grip-integrated laser sight, which I understand is available for the Smith & Wesson.

Thanks.

Ron

I'll say this. My Sp101 wears a set of C/T grips (laser). Don't become solely dependent on them. I almost sold my pair because of doing so.
    It can teach you point of aim. It will show you how jittery you are while handling the gun, because of the laser light movement.
    If you use it defensively, make sure that it isn't on a dusty or foggy day/evening because your cover (if you are hiding) will be revealed.
    The intimidation factor can be almost as much as shooting the BG, but of course, NEVER count on that....

I carry a S&W640 in a pocket holster and am considering getting a Crimson Trace grip added to it.

I have shot several firearms with a laser sight and it does speed up aquisition time but I would hate to rely TOTALLY on it because when the batteries go down you would be screwed.

I think that the first step is to get used to the gun first. Learn to shoot nice tight groups with the regular sites.

After that, the laser can be a welcome addition as long as you continue to practice without using it so that it doesn't become a crutch.

Assistant Administrator
    The others have said it - laser grips are an adjunct and never to be regarded as primary.

I have grips on 3 revo's and three semi's which includes my EDC 226 - and would not be without them. I bring the gun to a shooting position in the normal way as if sighting or even point shooting but - should conditions be such that the dot happens to show then there is my bonus - it sure assists.

I do not actively waste time trying to find the dot. In quite dull light tho in particular, it shows easily and if I had an awkward one handed shot to take from cover would certainly find it most useful.

People love them or hate them - I am one who regards them as a major plus even tho expensive.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up

For a Carry Defense Revolver...absolutely Go For It.

Expensive - Yep, but, spend the $$ & don't back.
    You'll be glad that you did.

Many folks just cannot justify sometimes spending nearly the cost of another handgun on laser grips but, if you have reached a decently positive decision as to what exact handgun you want to carry then they are money well spent.

Ron,

I have Crimson Trace grips on three revolvers and two 45's.

The CT grips for the smaller J-frame S&W's are great ! There is a new model out, the LG-405, features include rubber over the backstrap to help with recoil, and a smaller profile for better concealed carry.

Here's an e-bay link and description:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

Thumbs down Practice

Buy a case aof ammunition instead, and practice, practice, practice, etc.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

No argument with me about practicing.... that's what it is all about.

The CT laser grips are not a substitute for proficiency with your weapon, I use them a lot when I teach new shooters. Perfect way for them to 'see' their hand shake, trigger pull anticipation, and nerves. After they get to where the red dot does not jump around and is pretty steady, the laser is turned off and they practice, practice and practice some more.... but they are much more steady and confident in their abilities to shoot the weapon fairly well while they are concentrating on using the gun's sights.

Personally, I use the CT grips on my weapons as a part of my total defensive package.... there's not a bad guy around who doesn't know what a red dot in the middle of his chest means..... especially in a night situation where lighting is dim at best.

Each to his own. I started shooting at 18 when I went into the Army. Now, at 57 years of age, and based on my experiences, I do what I know has been proven to work for me.

I don't knock anyone else's preferences, I just relate what works for me.
    Last edited by DaveT; August 28th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

I have the older model (LG-305) on my S&W 340PD; don't buy that model, shop around/order online and get the newer model (LG-405) - from what I've read, it's a little more forgiving on the recoil.

I've had the same batteries on my Lasergrips since 2003; every time I pick them up, they come on (I'm not currently carrying the snubbie, so the day they don't come on, no biggie, time to change them). I suggest you replace the batteries at least once a year, no excuse not to do it since they are free with CTC's free batteries offer.

In my experience Lasergrips, and any other laser for that matter, are not useful during sunny days/places there is a lot of lighting. They do exel during low light/darkness, to the point that I don't use the sights - because you can't really see them at night anyhow(don't have the tritium model on mine).

My 2 cents.

Administrator
    There are countless numbers of defensive scenarios that I can imagine where having a laser available would be invaluable or at least a huge added bonus.

They are phenomenally reliable these days.
    The laser units themselves are good for thousands of hours of "ON" use.
    The switches can go what? 50 thousand On Off cycles?
    The batteries last for years with normal use.
    They pretty much have no moving parts.
    They are a "Win ~ Win" to have available as an accessory tool.
    One can buy a case of ammo for practice & a laser unit & one does not need to be at the expense of the other.

Of course I have practiced shooting for years shooting without a laser.
    Lasers were probably not invented when I started shooting.
    I do not auto~discard tools because they are new or different.
    I grab anything that I think will possibly aid me in a Do Or Die confrontation.
    So...could I defend myself without one? Sure.
    The military has not adopted lasers & holographic sights because they aren't any good.
    They make it easier to hit effectively in situations & environments where good hits would not be possible or very likely otherwise.
    So while not a substitute for practiced shooting technique they are a benefit to it.

They are also a boon to shooters who do not...or cannot practice often.
    Even when used as a "Crutch" lasers pretty much guarantee a solid hit on the intended target.

The fact is that not every person that buys a handgun for defense will practice with it. That is just an undisputed fact. For the 99.999% chance that the laser unit WILL work when they need it...I would much rather they use one and increase their probability of staying alive.

I am not of the school of thought that believes that if a good honest person buys a firearm for self defensive purposes and FAILS to practice with it that they deserve to DIE if they don't practice shooting enough.

I would Much Rather they increase their probability of staying alive by any workable means possible!

If that means they need to depend on a laser in order to guarantee an accurate hit then so be it. On the EXTREMELY remote chance that the laser would fail at that exact second...then they are no worse off than not having had it in the first place.

I know that you can take a 7 year old kid that never shot a firearm before...stand him 25 feet away from a paper target and hand him a laser equipped .22 pistol & tell him" "Put the bright red dot in the middle of the black & slowly squeeze the trigger." & he'll stay on the target every single time.
    So to me that spells Valuable Tool to an individual that cannot devote hours of practice to self~defense shooting practice.
    Is it BETTER if they constantly practice & hone shooting skills? Of course it is but, many will not.
    I am all for whatever tool gives them their best possible chance to stay alive and happy.
    Forgive My Rant...I rest my case.

Lead Moderator
    I see the laser as a big benefit to those short sight radius , smaller sights type carry guns. If you need to make a good , accurate shot the laser might be a better option than using the small factory sights.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks to all who responded to my post. As always, your input has been very helpful.

Ron

Links