Opinion on Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact (PX9161LP)

Opinion on Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact (PX9161LP)

This is a discussion on Opinion on Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact (PX9161LP) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My next purchase will be a compact 1911 in case I ever manage to get a CCW (I live in California). I ruled out the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact (PX9161LP)

Question Opinion on Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact (PX9161LP)

My next purchase will be a compact 1911 in case I ever manage to get a CCW (I live in California). I ruled out the Kimber Ultra CDP II, which is GORGEOUS because Springfield's Micro Compact is basically a knockoff for $100-200 cheaper, with a holster, mag pouch, two mags and a lifetime warranty.

But THEN...I got a glimpse of the SA Loaded Ultra Compact, with a 3.5 inch barrel. It's heavier (33 oz. vs. 25 oz) because it's all stainless. A GREAT guy (Thanks, Tripp!) at the gun desk at a local shop walked me through it today. He says that the added weight is a small price to pay for added reliability, greater resistance to wear and damage over time, slightly less recoil. All of that seems to make sense to me but I've never owned a 1911. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sold on the Ultra Compact unless there's something I'm not considering....?

I just bought a Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it!!

Can't go too far wrong with the Springer. My son just got the Range Officer and it's really nice.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

jyo
    My pistol is the slightly larger 4" "Champion" model in stainless---always liked "Commander" sized 1911 type pistols---been a very good, reliable gun.

VIP Member
    No experience with the Ultra Compact, but had a Loaded Champion. Well built gun, and Springfield warranty is hard to beat. They have outstanding Customer Service as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Just did a range report on this pistol. I call it the mule. Far more recoil than my Kimber Ultra Covert II.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I'm not sure about the ultra compact but I had a full size loaded and buyer beware it had a brazilian embel frame. Higher priced SA's are all made in America but not the loaded model. I found cracks in mine and I had some reliability issues with it.

I already have a 5" S&W and a full size M&P .45 so I am unfamiliar with the compact issues
    Kimberpackn do you have a link to that range report?

I have a SS Champion. When I first bought it, almost 20 years ago, I had to send it back and the customer service was unbeatable. It was simply outstanding and the gun came back to me and it has been flawless ever since. My son has owned the 3.5" Springfield 1911 for at least six years and he loves it. I really don't think you can go wrong with a Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Can't go too far wrong with the Springer. My son just got the Range Officer and it's really nice.
    Saved me some typing right on.
    In a .45 I would prefer to go with nothing short than 4 inch not saying you can't they have worked the bugs out of the shorter ones it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    Just did a range report on this pistol. I call it the mule. Far more recoil than my Kimber Ultra Covert II.
    Not sure why ... My Springfield Ultra Compact is a JOY to shoot with VERY manageable recoil

I bought one today and put 100 rounds thru it with no issues. I thought the recoil was very managable and the gun was a joy to shoot. I cant wait to shoot it again. Mine does say it was made in BRAZIL on the frame. It will be something I will keep an eye on.

I have the Springer 1911A1/Loaded S/S. About a year old. It was my first 1911. Over 2500rds through the gun with no problems.

TC

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    looking for a compact 1911 (para warthog) have two full sized 1911 kimber and para love to shoot them both
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    I bought one today and put 100 rounds thru it with no issues. I thought the recoil was very managable and the gun was a joy to shoot. I cant wait to shoot it again. Mine does say it was made in BRAZIL on the frame. It will be something I will keep an eye on.
    Yeah, I'm not stoked on the idea of having Brazil on the frame. I'm more of a Made in the USA kinda guy but Springfield's a U.S. company so I might settle in that regard if it means I get the pistol I want! haha

Hearing good things so far on the Ultra. To those of you who own yours, what other mods have you made? Do you like the slim cocobolo grips? Are you bothered that there's no checkering on the front strap? I'll say that I don't love the wraparound grips look but I know some guys say it's absolutely amazing for controlling the pistol. And I know the factory trigger is about 5 pounds -- have any of you jobbed them down to 3-4?

All Springers were on sale at my local gun shop yesterday -- 10% off, which brought this one to $903. But I'm told by the wife I should wait a few months. (hint hint?) I'll just wait...but THIS will be the pistol.

Also, guy at the shop tried to sell me on the Ultra over the Micro, which I thought odd since the Micro goes for about $300 more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links