.25 acp... the public broadcasting channel of calibers

This is a discussion on .25 acp... the public broadcasting channel of calibers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at a gunshow today, and finally found a really clean (as in like new, rarely shot) Baby Browning for a bargin basement price. It ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: .25 acp... the public broadcasting channel of calibers

Was at a gunshow today, and finally found a really clean (as in like new, rarely shot) Baby Browning for a bargin basement price. It came with five mags and it's little leather pouch. The group that I was with started commenting on the fact that I had just wasted my money on a loser caliber, and that if I ever had to use the Browning in an SD situation, I'd be better off throwing the little gun at my attacker than actually firing it. I took the good natured ribbing, and slipped the little pistol in my front pocket. No amount of ribbing was going to change my mind on this purchase. I've always been impressed with the quality of the Baby Browning, but like many, thought the .25 caliber left a lot to be desired. Since I carry a Commander LW, and only plan on this little pistol as a BUG, I figure it'll serve it's purpose. I think about it this way... The Commander is my "Get away from me gun", and the Baby will be my "Get off me gun".
    When I got home, I found some ammo and wandered out to my backyard shooting range. The Browning preformed flawlessly, and it hit in the general area I was pointing. I couldn't expect much more from a pistol with a barrel shorter than my attention span. After about twenty rounds I looked around to make sure nobody was looking at this old guy with a big stupid grin on his face. This little pistol just provides it share of grins and giggles.
    Used for exactly what it was designed for, it will do the job. Just don't expect too much, and you won't be disappointed.
    Just like public broadcasting. While not every program suits everybody, everybody can find something they like.
    wmhawth likes this.

Hey, it's both fun, and a really well-made little firearm. Congrats!

Sounds like you did great.

FWIW, I took my new-to-me Polish P64 pistol to the range today, and it was a total jam-o-matic. Not happy at all. I'll happily trade you places in first shot experiences with our respective new guns.

Why does everybody assume that every gun is bought for self defense? Ask them if you can shoot them with it.

Why aren't you posting a picture of it?
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 4th, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: remove word doosh aka douche
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Why does every doosh assume that every gun is bought for self defense?
    What other use is there for a pocket pistol? It's not going hunting or serious target shooting.

Some folks like to collect the Baby Brownings. They have a bit of a cult like following.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Even very small, well made and reliable handguns can prove to be a game changer in an emergency, and when they also produce an "old guy with a big stupid grin on his face" as a side effect... what's not to like?

Description of Baby Browning

I was wondering about the appearance, size and performance of the .25 caliber Browning, so I looked it up and found this:

Weight: 9.7 ounces
    Barrel: 2.11 inches
    Height: 2.8 inches
    Length: 4.1 inches
    Magazine: 6 rounds
    .25 ACP Ballistics: 50 grain bullet at 760 fps velocity and 65 ft-lbs of energy

It looks to be highly concealable.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Nice looking little gun. As far as the defense capabilities go, its better than no gun at all. Besides the OP says he wasn't planning on using it as a primary gun.

I don't do a lot of hunting with my Ruger 10-22, but it still is a fun gun and that is all that matters with this baby browning
    swiftyjuan and RichB70 like this.

VIP Member
    Congrat's. Just the Browning name makes it worth having.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lowercase... Too bad about the P64. But I bet ya get it worked out.
    Cokeman... To post a picture would require equipment and the knowledge to use it. I'm just happy to be able to put words out on the interweb...lol
    Yankeejib... Let's not forget that all important Grin Factor. I had that grin all the time I was 'hunting' to hit the 10 ring on the 'target'.
    Greyghost... Since I'm a bit of a 1911 collector/accumulator, I can see myself getting into trouble quick. Seems like two could take up the same space as
    one 1911. And if you look at the Browning over your shoulder and squint some, it kinda/sorta looks like a 1911. Looks like my accumulation might just get bigger.
    Ripley16... Truer words were never spoken.

Your satisfaction is the most important thing here. Glad you like it.

Senior Moderator
    Congrats. Those are solid little guns.

Any gun in the pocket it better than none.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I was wondering about the appearance, size and performance of the .25 caliber Browning, so I looked it up and found this:
    Wow, that looks very well made. Looks like machined metal. They just don't make them like they used to.

As for the caliber being compared to a rock. Go tell those kids' parents in Ohio that died recently from .22LR that their kids shouldn't be dead because that caliber is no better than a rock. Or go find the families of those victims of the Virginia Tech shootings.

I've never shot a .25acp, but I've been told they have roughly the same power as a .22LR but are supposed to be more reliable due to being centerfire.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Wow, that looks very well made. Looks like machined metal. They just don't make them like they used to.

As for the caliber being compared to a rock. Go tell those kids' parents in Ohio that died recently from .22LR that their kids shouldn't be dead because that caliber is no better than a rock. Or go find the families of those victims of the Virginia Tech shootings.I've never shot a .25acp, but I've been told they have roughly the same power as a .22LR but are supposed to be more reliable due to being centerfire.
    Kind of a heartless way to make your point wouldn't ya think?
    jace33 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Been around here for years about 19 if I remember right . I had 79 dollars burning a hole in my pocket one day just sits in the box

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links