Spent Casing Question for any Sig Ultra 1911 owners

This is a discussion on Spent Casing Question for any Sig Ultra 1911 owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, new forum member here. I just picked up a new Sig Ultra 1911 the other day. Went straight to the range (I know I ...

Thread: Spent Casing Question for any Sig Ultra 1911 owners

Hello, new forum member here. I just picked up a new Sig Ultra 1911 the other day. Went straight to the range (I know I know... should've cleaned it first but didn't) and absolutely loved shooting this gun! The trigger was just super smooth and very controllable recoil. Put about 75 rounds through flawlessly. But...... The casings came out looking like this:45casings.JPG
    What do you guys think? I figure they're striking the ejection port but not sure if it's something to be concerned about or not or if this it typical of this model. I posted this question on another forum and got some great perspectives and opinions but nothing yet from other Ultra owners. Any input is appreciated though. Thanks
    First 7 shots @ 8yds:IMG_0896.jpg

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    id need to know where 'on the clock' them scratches are.

load a few rounds with a felt-tip mark at 12 oclock and lets find out
    just a guess--look at the top of the slide for a clean spot--the ejection port, top rear
    or 3 0clock and the case is dragging against the slide before it clears enough to be thrown clear.

its interesting but if the gun is functioning--thats all it is, interesting.

my C3 in the beginnning beaned the shooter; after 200 rounds it stopped.
    new can sometimes be quirky.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Those almost look like they are dragging on the slide stop. I had a similar thing happen with a brand new RIA Sub-Compact except in my case it was so bad it caused multiple FTFs. I cured it by taking a Swiss needle file and lightly dressing the tip of the slide stop until I had about .035 inches clearance between the slide stop and the ammo in the mag.

Forgot to add, remove the slide and reinstall the slide stop. Seat a loaded mag and visually check for any interference with the slide stop and the uppermost round in the mag.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'd agree with the slide stop guess except the witness marks are bright - no carbon on 'em. I think they're hitting something while being ejected/extracted. I'd take claude clay's approach.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Ok thanks, will try both suggestions. Will probably be able to make it back to the range on Tues. and will post marker results. Now, let me ask this- would a slide stop issue also present by manually chambering/ ejecting a round or only if the gun is fired?

Hard to give a definitive answer. Slide stop problems most often result in the slide not staying open after the last round is fired from a mag, or kind of the opposite - the slide locks open when you don't want it to. The latter is more common with 230 gr round-nose ammo due to overall cartridge length. Neither of these seems to be a problem with your gun right now, though.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd agree with the slide stop guess except the witness marks are bright - no carbon on 'em. I think they're hitting something while being ejected/extracted. I'd take claude clay's approach.
    Good catch, if it were a slide stop problem the scratches would be darkened also.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well, no disrespect to the OP, but there is MUCH we don’t know. That being said, the resolution of the posted PIC is somewhat reasonable to allow manipulation of colors, contrasts, color heat etc.

There is more going on here, and although I can’t offer much, the existing resolution suggests.

Beginning at the case mouth, the markings are the widest narrowing as it proceeds down the side. But what is not that apparent in the photo is that the case mouth is bent, and it proceeds down the side of the case. The shallower the dent becomes, the amplitude of the marks also decrease.

Also, there is something going on at the base of the case. Notice the black marks that appear and that appearance seems to be either side of the extractor. Also notice the gouge marks on the inside of the rim. This has the appearance of an extractor fitting WAY too tight. When the gun is operating normally, the extractor ONLY serves as a pivot point for ejection. The only time an extractor acts as an extractor in a semi auto is when the slide is racked by hand. I strongly suspect that the problem is the extractor.

Lastly, I don’t believe the slide lock is even remotely involved. If it were, marks may appear on the bullet, not the case. Likewise, there is no way the case mouth could be bent, especially if a bullet was still in the case.

All of the indications that are taking place are on the extraction/ejection part of the cycle.

This gun should go in for a checkup.

Chris
    Last edited by Varmiter; March 5th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.

Well, I called Sig and they said this is pretty common with their 1911's. Not sure if she meant all their 1911's or the Ultras in particular. Something to do with the external ejector and the angle of the shell being discharged through the port. She said it's nothing to worry about and it may resolve itself somewhat after break in. So.... I guess that's it. I'll just have to wait and see. I'll keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Sponsored Links