Glock 26 & IDPA.....

This is a discussion on Glock 26 & IDPA..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wdbailey My understanding of IDPA rules is that you'll have to remove the laser before you can compete I believe that he ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Glock 26 & IDPA.....

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    My understanding of IDPA rules is that you'll have to remove the laser before you can compete
    I believe that he can leave the CT Lasergrip on the gun (with the laser off) and be OK. IDPA has ruled that the GripForce pin-on beavertail is SSP-complaint for the Glock, so I cannot see how the Lasergrip would not be.

Detachable Beaver Tail in SSP is legal? in IDPA Rules Questions Forum

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

I'm just going with what I was told by a rangemaster last year when I inquired about using my Custom Crimson Carry II last year

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    I'm just going with what I was told by a rangemaster last year when I inquired about using my Custom Crimson Carry II last year
    The ruling was fairly recent, and not every SO / MD has gotten the word. IDPA has some rulebook / communication issues.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Sponsor
    FWIW: Fist-Fire Instructor Rick Simes was runner up behind Dave Sevigny at the IDPA Nationals using his EDC gun which is a Glock 19. I thought that was pretty cool, considering Dave shot a G34.
    johnbergsing likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The ruling was fairly recent, and not every SO / MD has gotten the word. IDPA has some rulebook / communication issues.

Matt
    That is putting it mildly.
    DRM likes this.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    1. I was not Steven Seagall
    2. If you think you're good....just wait a few minutes, and someone better will come along.
    3. If you think you are going to improve without dumpling lots of lead down range, you are living in fantasy land.
    LOL, you da man Zonk
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    Dry Fire will take you a long, long ways though.
    I would recommend practicing dry fire while on the run and multiple mag reloads along the way. IDPA is not standing still and punching paper. About as close to the real deal as it gets.....except the numerous targets do not shoot back.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    10th Mountain put it best. IDPA was supposed to be the shooting disipline for the everyday guy. The one who could not or would not compete with tricked out race guns and so on of IPSC. Depending on who you listen to some say it has not or ever will reach the gamesmanship level of IPSC while others say it has reached and surpassed those levels but on a much more covert level.

It can be a good training tool. Simulates stress, reloads, shooting from cover and so on, but when you have to alter the way you carry or what you carry in order to conform to their rules you may be losing some realistic training ground.

As has been stated you may win or place with your Glock 26 but remember the type guys you are facing. They are there to win not train. Custom holsters, high dollar guns and whatever else they can squeak in to fit under the rules to compete. Not saying that they are not good shooters or lack training it is just that their motivation may be different from yours.

Go there and compete, have fun, take away whatever training and tips you can get but go with the mindset you are there to hone your skills and not walk away with a trophy you will not be disapointed.
    Toorop, Philly Boy and DRM like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    10th Mountain put it best. IDPA was supposed to be the shooting disipline for the everyday guy. The one who could not or would not compete with tricked out race guns and so on of IPSC. Depending on who you listen to some say it has not or ever will reach the gamesmanship level of IPSC while others say it has reached and surpassed those levels but on a much more covert level.

It can be a good training tool. Simulates stress, reloads, shooting from cover and so on, but when you have to alter the way you carry or what you carry in order to conform to their rules you may be losing some realistic training ground.

As has been stated you may win or place with your Glock 26 but remember the type guys you are facing. They are there to win not train. Custom holsters, high dollar guns and whatever else they can squeak in to fit under the rules to compete. Not saying that they are not good shooters or lack training it is just that their motivation may be different from yours.

Go there and compete, have fun, take away whatever training and tips you can get but go with the mindset you are there to hone your skills and not walk away with a trophy you will not be disapointed.
    I agree. I am not in IDPA but some of the people I have met who were, well they were very much into winning and not so much preparing.

I would not let it get to me. Just shoot and have fun. Ignore any naysayers you come across.
    Philly Boy likes this.

It depends on the club too. The local club I shoot at does not really care what you use.

I have seen some guys run 26's very well.
    Last edited by 40Bob; March 6th, 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I did some experimenting just for fun. Shot the classification match with my 19 and my 26. I scored better in the initial part of the match with the 26, better in the longer range part with the 19. My double taps with the 26 just "work" almost perfectly, noticably better than the 19, if I just pull the trigger as fast as I can for the second shot. Not skill, just something about the dynamics of the gun and my hands/arms that "clicks".

I had decided to shoot the 26 in competition all year this year, then the club stopped having the matches. I did develop a load for the 26 that meets the power floor with margin to spare, and is within the powder company max load using VV N350 and a 115g bullet. It fees and chronographs like my carry load, 115g COR-BON DPX +P.

The Glock 26 just works for me. I can carry my 19 all winter very easily, but I don't because I just plain "like" the 26, how it feels, how it shoots, how it conceals, and how it's never ever had a failure with any ammo I've put in it. Since it's my EDC, I clean it after range trips and field strip and wipe it down once a week (with my life style it can get pretty crunked up in a month), but other than that it doesn't need anything.

I am going to the range tomorrow to practice point shooting with it to see if I can get my time to the first shot from cover under 2 seconds, would like to get to 1.5 seconds if I can do that accurately.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I appreciate all the comments guys. Trophies and medals never appealed to me. I started looking at the IDPA matches as a way to learn / improve skills, and besides it just looked like a hell'o lotta fun

I am a pretty good shot and have been shooting for a very long time but I'm smart enough to know what I don't know, LOL. I KNOW I need more practice in higher stress situtions, baricade shooting, etc. I do practice strong hand and weak hand often, but I don't think I can get too much practice. But with that said, you have to practice the right things, the right way. Practicing with bad techniques only create more problems.

Thanks to the comments here, I am rethinking the SOB holster for daily carry. Being a larger guy, it was more comfortable for EDC, but as I examine different holsters and carry methods, I see a possible change coming.

Fitch, I definitely agree on the 26. It is the most comfortable shooting gun I've owned. I really do love it
    Last edited by Honk; March 6th, 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: 'cause I kaint spellll........
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

I have used the same Glock 17 in IDPA for over ten years and I also finish in the middle. have used my beretta 92 f, but iit jams when it needs cleaning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links