Glock 26 & IDPA.....

This is a discussion on Glock 26 & IDPA..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking seriously about getting into IDPA shooting. My EDC is a Glock 26 with CT Laser, and I normally carry IWB @ 6 o'clock. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Glock 26 & IDPA.....

Glock 26 & IDPA.....

I'm thinking seriously about getting into IDPA shooting. My EDC is a Glock 26 with CT Laser, and I normally carry IWB @ 6 o'clock. Now I understand that type of holster isn't allowed and I have ordered a Bladetech holster for matches.

Now my questions are, have any of you IDPA guys used a Glock 26 in matches? Does anyone have pro's / con's, or other thoughts about this? I'll have a total of 5 magazines available, and a double mag holder that is approved.

How many of you guys shoot IDPA and what do you use?
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

2. Remove Ads

My understanding of IDPA rules is that you'll have to remove the laser before you can compete

1. You carry at 6 o'clock? You mean, small of back? If that is correct, I'd ask you to reconsider - a fall onto your back can cause a spinal injury. Not good.

2. Question you need to ask yourself...Are you considering competition in order to train, or are you trying to be competitive?

I will not engage in competition or training classes that do not "allow" me to use my EDC guns (with lasers) and holsters. I don't want to risk getting into bad habits in competition that I will have to "unlearn" on the street. JMHO. YMMV.
    Toorop, NY27, Guest1 and 4 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    My understanding of IDPA rules is that you'll have to remove the laser before you can compete
    Thanks. I'm not sure. I'll have to check that further.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    1. You carry at 6 o'clock? You mean, small of back? If that is correct, I'd ask you to reconsider - a fall onto your back can cause a spinal injury. Not good.

2. Question you need to ask yourself...Are you considering competition in order to train, or are you trying to be competitive?

I will not engage in competition or training classes that do not "allow" me to use my EDC guns (with lasers) and holsters. I don't want to risk getting into bad habits in competition that I will have to "unlearn" on the street. JMHO. YMMV.
    First off, thank you for your service. It's much appreciated an needed.

#1 -- good point I never considered. Being a big guy (6'3" -285) that was the most comfortable position for me using IWB. If this Bladetech holster is as comfortable as I think it will be, that may be my new daily tool.

#2 -- both actually. I grew up with a LEO instructor father so the thoughts of "realistic" practice scenarios hit pretty close to home. I'm a pretty good shot so the main reason i put the laser on was for "snap shot" type situations. In a close quarters situation, I know that shot placement is going to be no more than 1-1/2" from where the dot is, then i transition to more aimed shots.

However concealed carry is still fairly new to me so any and all suggestions are appreciated and considered.

The laser wouldn't do you any good in the outdoor daylight IDPA matches anyway. Being as most of the CT laser grips have a master on/off switch, I say just shut it off and leave it on the gun. That way it will feel and point just like it will when you carry.

The 6:00 holster wouldn't be permitted in IDPA. Get yourself a holster for the 3 to 4 o'clock position and go give it a whirl. There is nothing like getting proficient with your carry gun.

I shot a local IDPA match yesterday with my G26 using my standard carry IWB holster and carrying the spare magazines in the pocket of my vest. I generally don't wear a spare magazine when actually carrying off-duty, I tend to just drop one in my pocket, so it made sense to do it that way. My G26 is totally stock except for night sights and a smooth trigger from a G17. Since it is a carry gun I don't have a lighter connector installed.

I didn't do half bad considering, but since I was shooting in ESP Sharpshooter, I didn't win or anything. I did much better at the rifle side match afterward, 4th overall.

Thanks to my very busy schedule this was my first match in the last year, and I had forgotten how much fun IDPA is. I need to make more time for shooting.

IDPA is primarily a form of entertainment, however, it does help with some real world skills, the most significant of which is the ability to handle and shoot quickly and accurately under stress.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I don't own a G26 but I do own and shoot IDPA matches with a similar-sized weapon, the M&P9c. Unless you're an exceptional shot with the shorter barreled guns, don't expect to actually win very many matches but it is a lot of fun and a good training tool. I usually placing somewhere in the middle of the pack. It's those longer distance (15 yard+) shots that slow me down and cause me a few misses. Bottom line is what you want to get out of participating in the matches. If you want to compete, get yourself a G34. If you're looking to improve your self defense skills with your EDC weapon, stick with your G26. Also, IDPA does allow IWB holsters, however, I'm not sure about the location of the holster. Mine is always at the 0330 so I'm good.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Over the years, I've seen several people compete with their carry guns, and some of them do quite well.

If/when Kimber ever starts shipping their 8 round magazines for the Solo, I think I'm going to use it at a few matches.

I've shot my G26 in a number of IDPA matches, and I don't feel particularly disadvantaged. I usually finish in the middle of the pack and it doesn't seem to matter if I'm shooting a G17 or a G26. I enjoy shooting a match with a subcompact, plastic pistol and finishing ahead of guys with full size 1911s that cost over 2x what my Glock cost. Finishing in the middle of the pack with my G17 just isn't quite as rewarding though.

I used a 26 at a couple of idpa matches several years ago. It's a great place to get comfortable with your carry stuff and discover your limitations.
    Diddle likes this.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    My very first IDPA match was with my glock 26 and I still shoot it in matches every now and then. When I use the 26 I shoot with an IWB holster using a T shirt for my cover garment. Just like I carry. It works fine and makes you realize how much of how well you do is the shooter and not the gun. I out shoot a lot of people with my 26 and get positive comments all the time.
    johnbergsing likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

I agree. If gaming, then get a larger gun. If it is about extra practice then use your Glock 26. I myself carry a Glock 19 and I use that for gaming.

used my Glock 26 that I bought in 1995 in IDPA matches several years ago and did pretty well with it. At the time, no one could believe that a subcompact pistol could be as reliable and accurate as the G26. What can I say, I was ahead of my time.
    Glock 26 pretty much set the standard for subcompact pistols in the mid 90's after the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban was passed allowing for only 10 round mags in all pistols.....G26 was the best thing to come out of that ridiculous law.
    I shot IDPA to have fun and learn from the more experienced. Mission accomplished. I had a blast and learned three things:
    1. I was not Steven Seagall
    2. If you think you're good....just wait a few minutes, and someone better will come along.
    3. If you think you are going to improve without dumpling lots of lead down range, you are living in fantasy land.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    3. If you think you are going to improve without dumpling lots of lead down range, you are living in fantasy land.
    Dry Fire will take you a long, long ways though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links