which would you get?

This is a discussion on which would you get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by joker1 GLOCK 19 the only pistol you'll ever need. Originally Posted by Stubborn I believe if it were me, I'd throw another ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: which would you get?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    GLOCK 19 the only pistol you'll ever need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I believe if it were me, I'd throw another 50 on top of the price of the Arcus and pick up a S&W Sigma.
    You can find them all over the world NIB for 299, even less if you shop a little. Terrible trigger but a quality gun.
    Just my $.02

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm in this camp as well.
    I bought a 9mm Sigma SW9ve from a guy at work for $180 with five mags.

I shoot it, ALMOST as well as my M&P9c, and it shoots way better than my Kel Tec P11.

You should be able to get a decent/good used/new and shoot {as has been said 25,000-40,000} rounds thru it.
    Last edited by oneshot; March 6th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
    AlwaysReady likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
    well...if your looking for cheap..the hp is the way to go.....it's cheap...you can't hurt it...the first cleaning is after 2000 rnds....however I'm on the same page as the other guys...get a glock 19 if your gonna shoot cheap rnds.....the 9mm doesn't have the stopping pwr of bigger bore pistols but hey....they go bang.....

Steve
    .... The 9mm doesn't have the stopping power of bigger bore pistols.... Really

I've heard good and bad things about Hi point...mostly bad. Im all for pinching pennies and buying cheap brand clothing, tooth brushes, cell phone plans... never guns, though.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Internet myths 101.

In this episode we learn 9mm is not as adequate as the big bore cartridges. Lol.

Look for a used G17 or G19. You can find them for relatively good prices and you'll get a good reliable gun instead of a POS. You can confidently thrash it or carry it and it'll last.

What sense is there in buying a gun/tool that is poorly made and will wear out sooner than a well made dependable gun/tool. If you need to buy two or more guns to last as long as one quality piece, it just doesn't make sense to me. Buy a good gun and put through it as much ammo as you can.
    Frank.

Save your money on a cheap gun and just buy ammo and practice.

You will not destroy your SR9c by shooting it more often.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Internet myths 101.

In this episode we learn 9mm is not as adequate as the big bore cartridges. Lol.
    I thought myths 101 was about the effectiveness of .380

Get a used Glock-19...you won't be able to ruin it by just shooting thousands and thousands of rounds.
    You'll wear out before the gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    "the HP has a polymer frame while the Arcus is steel."

That should be ~ The HP has a polymer frame and a pot metal slide while the Arcus is steel.

You should be able to pick up a slightly used SIGMA for the same price as the Arcus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    hello all.
    recently I've been wanting to build up my speed and accuracy a bit so I was thinking of getting a new 9mm for the sole purpose of shooting until it wont shoot anymore. I dont want to get a 22lr because every time I shoot a 22lr I do great but once I switch back to something with recoil I drop right back to where I was when I started. I really dont want to spend the money on a nice gun that I'll regret ruining and that's precisely why I dont want to use my SR9C for this task.

since I'm just looking for a cheap gun to beat the breaks off I'm considering either a Hi Point C9 or an Arcus 98DA. the Hi Point has a lifetime warranty while the Arcus just has a 2 year warranty. HI point generally costs around $115-130 while the arcus costs around $250. the HP has a polymer frame while the Arcus is steel. HI point is DAO(or SAO never have found the exact answer for that) while the Arcus is DA/SA. HP is american, Arcus is bulgarian imported by CAI.

anyone shot both, which would you get?
    Do you carry the Ruger? If so train/practice with it. You will not break it. If your having trouble with recoil seek out an instructor and spend the money on some training to help you get your fundamentals down....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Save your money on a cheap gun and just buy ammo and practice.

You will not destroy your SR9c by shooting it more often.
    This. Or buy a second SR9c.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I believe if it were me, I'd throw another 50 on top of the price of the Arcus and pick up a S&W Sigma.
    You can find them all over the world NIB for 299, even less if you shop a little. Terrible trigger but a quality gun.
    Just my $.02
    Many people including myself have found the SW9VE (as well as the SW40VE) to be 100% reliable, inexpensive, and you can generally sell one for almost what you paid for it about any day. far better than the ultra lo-end pistols and darn good accuracy. Additionally, the Sigma in 9mm can be had for just a few more dollars than the Kel-tec offerings which ain't bad at all for what you pay for them.
    You should be able to find a SW9VE for $300.00 or less.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I don't understand your logic. Why buy a junk gun that isn't going to be reliable or durable? That's just throwing money away. Either buy a decent used gun, (plenty of police trade in's out there: 3rd Gen Smith's can be found for ~ $300 in great shape and they would last forever), or spend that money on ammo and a class. If you shoot a gun enough to wear it out you've spent far more in ammunition costs that the gun's value anyway, even if reloading.

Do you have a spare CCW? If you do happen to use your gun for SD it's going to be locked up in evidence for the duration and you'll be unarmed. Much better to have two reliable guns that you know you can count on than a low round count primary and a back up that you can't count on in a jam.

I guess my logic is that it would be nice to have a throw away gun. I have a nice little stock pile of ammo I got on the cheap but it's all more than 10 years old and much of it is micro batch reman ammo. add the day where, god forbid, I ever start experimenting with my own reloads it would be nice to have a gun that I wont mourn the loss of if i accidentally drop a double charge in. in my experience, many of the used guns I've looked at have already been used and abused to the point that I would feel safer shooting a shotgun shell out of a flare gun. I have a backup CCW, an XDM45C which is a lot less conducive to heavy practice but dead reliable if I ever should lose my SR9C to an evidence locker. the local PDs here sell their guns to an outfit 3 hours drive so by the time you factor in gas money I may as well have just stayed in town and got a brand new gun. also none of the S&Ws I've tried has had a trigger I could cope with.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links