which would you get?

This is a discussion on which would you get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT - YouTube you can't hurt a hipoint... and these rednecks show you you can't hurt it.. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: which would you get?

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate test MAN VS HI POINT - YouTube

you can't hurt a hipoint...
    and these rednecks show you you can't hurt it..

Hi-Point Pistols The Ultimate test Part 4: Judgement Day - YouTube

Steve

2. Remove Ads

as cheep as they are city of miami cops prefer Hi-point as their throw down of choice

I use one for practice in 40 because of the kick I makes me more accurate with the 45 colt I carry ,bought it at a gun show for less than a hundred was a demo has been back twice for repairs no cost

Its a beater not a glamor queen
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

Buy a hi point, take it apart , look how the firing mechanism works, never buy a hi-point again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    AZ chevy, junk is what I'm looking for as stated for I'm looking for a piece of... uh... stuff that I wont regret trashing.

RamJet, I'm not really a fan of the mosquito and I've heard of way too many cases of warping and disfigured P22s. umarex really should stick to airsoft and bbguns IMHO.
    In all seriousness, a junk pistol is just going to teach you how a real pistol doesn't shoot - and that's if it shoots at all, which I can say from personal experience with High Point that it is not at all a sure thing. You will learn a lot about how a High Point will randomly lock back the slide like no other pistol will, how to clear stove-pipes out of a tiny side ejection port that barely provides room for the shell to escape, when to clean the cheap paint off the barrel so that it stops gumming up the internals, and how to handle a poorly balanced top-heavy gun that handles like no other real pistol does.

If you want something that you won't regret trashing, get yourself a used Glock and abuse the poo out of it. It won't mind a bit.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Look at the Bersa 9mm's. They're only a bit more than a high point but a LOT more gun. Reliable, accurate and VERY inexpensive but not cheap. Closer to your price point for a highpoint
    Gideon

I'd just shoot with the gun you are going to use or carry for self defense. You're making it too complicated. You should practice with what your life may depend on. By continually using it, you will also get to know it and trust it. The more you shoot it, the more you are testing it's reliability. Also, you have to use it to break it in and increase reliablility. I'd worry more about magazine wear and condition.

I think any modern well made military adopted handgun should last around 20,000rds. They have standards to meet. For example, Glocks and Sigs are used by various countries' military units (and spare parts are easy to get). I don't know if Rugers are used by any military units. I have 3 Glocks and a Sig for main defense handguns.

If you shot that much in 9mm, that's 400 boxes of ammo or several thousand of dollars worth. Even if you shot 10,000rds, I'd think you could afford to sell it and get a new one by then. As someone suggested, you might just buy a second identical gun. Never know if you can still easily buy guns 5 years down the road or prices go up due to panic shortage or some lib tax.

By the way, if you're worried about double charging a reload, use a powder with enough bulk that you can easily tell it is obvious (spill over or filled to the top).

Get a good .22LR if you want to inexpensively practice fundamentals such as target sighting, breathing and trigger control. If you can't switch between .22LR and 9mm, then you need to shoot your carry 9mm a lot more. Good to have a .22LR anyways as that probably will be the most common ammo available in a SHTF situation or if you had to small game hunt if you live in a rural area.

I'd suggest throw a bit more $ at it and buy a ruger p95, which can also be found around $300 nib. Super uber reliable, mine shot any type of ammo I put through it, with no problems. And you'll be able to find a buyer for it down the road, for just about what you paid for it.

I owned an Arcus 94 years ago that was a Browning HiPower clone made in Bulgaria. It was not as nice as the FEG Hipower clones I had, but was still very accurate and reliable. A little rough around the edges, it was a very respectable gun.
    The Arcus 98DA is the same Arcus 94 except it is a double/single action pistol and is the standard sidearm of the Bulgarian Army (didn't know they had an Army). Have not shot the 98DA, but it should be just the ticket for a pistol that you want to beat to death and use and abuse. I'd pass on the HiPoint and get the Arcus. Be the first on this Forum to give us a range report on a pistol that has generated three pages of negative answers, and as usual no one has ever fired, held or seen one.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Look at the Bersa 9mm's. They're only a bit more than a high point but a LOT more gun. Reliable, accurate and VERY inexpensive but not cheap. Closer to your price point for a highpoint
    Gideon
    I'M voting for the BERSA as well. Check it out Jack, do some home work after GALLERY OF GUNS , search. ( IMPARTIAL) .. GUN-testS GIVE THEM HIGH MARKS TOO. Medium grips, light weight, Lotta bang for the buck.

I would just buy a second sr9c because if you are using it for carry why not buy a second one and train with it. Honestly the chances of wearing out a gun if properly taken care of are very slim. most people won't shoot what it would take to do this.

You will learn a lot about how a High Point will randomly lock back the slide like no other pistol will, how to clear stove-pipes out of a tiny side ejection port that barely provides room for the shell to escape, when to clean the cheap paint off the barrel so that it stops gumming up the internals, and how to handle a poorly balanced top-heavy gun that handles like no other real pistol does.
    with all due respect
    I've learned how to clear stovepipes with the Beretta M9 pricetag $500
    I've learned how to deal with a slide locking back at random times with a Kahr CW40, pricetag $450
    I've learned how to deal with poorly balanced and top heavy guns with a heckler and koch USP pricetag $900
    there is no such thing as perfect gun and there are "real guns" that DO behave like the hipoint.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Did you come here to defend pot metal rinkydink fire control group made in the USA junk or to get advice? Because you are getting good advice but defending against it like you made your decision before you posted your thread.
    yooperdug likes this.

Just use your SR9, like folks have said it is good for 1000's of rounds. If you can afford the ammo to wear it out you can afford a second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    with all due respect
    I've learned how to clear stovepipes with the Beretta M9 pricetag $500
    I've learned how to deal with a slide locking back at random times with a Kahr CW40, pricetag $450
    I've learned how to deal with poorly balanced and top heavy guns with a heckler and koch USP pricetag $900
    there is no such thing as perfect gun and there are "real guns" that DO behave like the hipoint.

Let us know ho it goes with this gun.

sgb
    S&W 5906 - Built like a TANK

cdnninvestments.com

azchevy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links