which would you get?

This is a discussion on which would you get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all. recently I've been wanting to build up my speed and accuracy a bit so I was thinking of getting a new 9mm for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: which would you get?

which would you get?

hello all.
    recently I've been wanting to build up my speed and accuracy a bit so I was thinking of getting a new 9mm for the sole purpose of shooting until it wont shoot anymore. I dont want to get a 22lr because every time I shoot a 22lr I do great but once I switch back to something with recoil I drop right back to where I was when I started. I really dont want to spend the money on a nice gun that I'll regret ruining and that's precisely why I dont want to use my SR9C for this task.

since I'm just looking for a cheap gun to beat the breaks off I'm considering either a Hi Point C9 or an Arcus 98DA. the Hi Point has a lifetime warranty while the Arcus just has a 2 year warranty. HI point generally costs around $115-130 while the arcus costs around $250. the HP has a polymer frame while the Arcus is steel. HI point is DAO(or SAO never have found the exact answer for that) while the Arcus is DA/SA. HP is american, Arcus is bulgarian imported by CAI.

anyone shot both, which would you get?
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

2. Remove Ads

Neither. Both are junk in my opinion.
    sgb likes this.

Not either one of those you will disappointed. One these two and you will never regret it.

Mosquito

Handguns: P22 .22LR - waltherpistols.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Not either one of those you will disappointed. One these two and you will never regret it.

Mosquito

Handguns: P22 .22LR - waltherpistols.com
    Both of those pistols are prone to failures all the time..... the walther is made of zamax pot metal... look at the ruger sr22. If you must have a 9mm pick up used glock or sig 9mm for 100 extra over your budget and be done with it.

I am also not following the whole recoil thing, whether I shoot my 22, my nine, my 357 or my 10mm I am accurate... are you trying to get perfect grip/stance/sight picture groupings while punching paper in a stress free environment?

AZ chevy, junk is what I'm looking for as stated for I'm looking for a piece of... uh... stuff that I wont regret trashing.

RamJet, I'm not really a fan of the mosquito and I've heard of way too many cases of warping and disfigured P22s. umarex really should stick to airsoft and bbguns IMHO.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Well I don't buy junk when it comes to high pressured projectiles being launched in my hand. Or training. But to each his own. If true junk is what you want, Hi-point will meet or exceed that benchmark every day of the week. Good luck to you.
    joker1 and WHEC724 like this.

As far as I have read (and I haven't got there myself yet) you should be able to put over 10,000 rounds through any decent modern gun with just changing a cheap springs or two and keeping it lubed up. For 9mm that's at least $2000 for the cheapest ammo you can find, unless you reload of course. Therefore, why not get a decent gun?

How about picking up a used Glock or even a new one if you can't find a used one for a significant discount. You could probably put 10,000 rounds through a new Glock it and then still have a highly functional weapon, if not flawless.

Of the two I would choose the Arcus 98DA because it looks like it would feel more like a main stream pistol but I would want to hold one before I paid money for it.
    I don't believe in buying a firearm until I have held one.
    You might want to look at the CZ-82 in 9x18, you can get the pistol and 1000 rounds of ammo for about 450.00
    I got my info from JG sales and able ammo.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I believe if it were me, I'd throw another 50 on top of the price of the Arcus and pick up a S&W Sigma.
    You can find them all over the world NIB for 299, even less if you shop a little. Terrible trigger but a quality gun.
    Just my $.02
    Diddle likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have put 1000s of rounds through my P22 not one issue But thats me I cannot speak for you. I like the Mosquito because it felt good in the hand and shot well but that was my buddies not mine so I cannot say about the issues you describe.

In that case get a Ruger 22 pistol or better yet a nice S&W 22 revolver. In the end you get what you pay for.

Ok silly question, but what kind of shooting are you planning on doing that would ruin your ruger? It should be good for thousands of rounds. I dont follow your need here.
    helderberg and NY27 like this.

Arcus is a cheap weapon but they have proven to work If your planning on just shooting it till it is wore out and junk 300 bucks on sale is cheap.
    I own a Ruger SR9C go ahead an shot it you aint wearing it out anytime soon.

GLOCK 19 the only pistol you'll ever need.
    Fitch likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    hello all.
    recently I've been wanting to build up my speed and accuracy a bit so I was thinking of getting a new 9mm for the sole purpose of shooting until it wont shoot anymore. I dont want to get a 22lr because every time I shoot a 22lr I do great but once I switch back to something with recoil I drop right back to where I was when I started. I really dont want to spend the money on a nice gun that I'll regret ruining and that's precisely why I dont want to use my SR9C for this task.

since I'm just looking for a cheap gun to beat the breaks off I'm considering either a Hi Point C9 or an Arcus 98DA. the Hi Point has a lifetime warranty while the Arcus just has a 2 year warranty. HI point generally costs around $115-130 while the arcus costs around $250. the HP has a polymer frame while the Arcus is steel. HI point is DAO(or SAO never have found the exact answer for that) while the Arcus is DA/SA. HP is american, Arcus is bulgarian imported by CAI.

anyone shot both, which would you get?
    Your whole approach makes exactly zero sense to me. The cost of practice is ammunition and time, not the gun for goodness sakes.

Just buy a used Glock and try to live long enough and shoot enough to wear it out. Good luck with that. They have been tested to well over 30,000 rounds with nothing but recoil spring replacements. Clean it every 500 rounds or so and it will last longer, or not. You just plain can't trash them, they are tougher than you are.

A used Glock will outlast two or three of the guns you mention. And if you do have a problem, you can fix it your self, no gunsmith required. It's the easiest gun to work on I've ever seen.

Fitch
    NY27 likes this.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

well...if your looking for cheap..the hp is the way to go.....it's cheap...you can't hurt it...the first cleaning is after 2000 rnds....however I'm on the same page as the other guys...get a glock 19 if your gonna shoot cheap rnds.....the 9mm doesn't have the stopping pwr of bigger bore pistols but hey....they go bang.....

Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links