Is a handgun enough?

This is a discussion on Is a handgun enough? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; is this thread for real? Batons, handcuffs, OC spray?? Reads like an article out of this months copy of "Mall Ninja Today...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Is a handgun enough?

is this thread for real? Batons, handcuffs, OC spray?? Reads like an article out of this months copy of "Mall Ninja Today
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

2. Remove Ads

Hurry and get this SUPERMAN cape while it's on sale!
    superman_cape.jpg

I suspect our chains are being pulled here, guys.

To the OP: Obviously, you are going to do as you will. It won't be any of us sitting in a cell. Or sued. Or injured. Or killed.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

If someone is too drunk to avoid conflict, than they are too drunk to run after you. Why everyone thinks they need to stand their ground is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by EthanR. View Post
    Well it looks like the majority of people are just against the commission of an arrest.
    The main arguments seem to be:
    1. Police officers are born with some inate ability to make an effective arrest that no private citizen can can ever hope to match, regardless of training or practice.
    2. People who get intoxicated and try to harm others deserve pity, not prosecution.
    3. Big brother will not appreciate the sheeple doing his job.

Police are not the only people allowed by law to make an arrest. Here are some Arizona Statutes pertaining to a citizen's arrest:

13-3884. Arrest by private person
    A private person may make an arrest:
    1. When the person to be arrested has in his presence committed a misdemeanor amounting to a breach of the peace, or a felony.
    2. When a felony has been in fact committed and he has reasonable ground to believe that the person to be arrested has committed it.

13-3889. Method of arrest by private person
    A private person when making an arrest shall inform the person to be arrested of the intention to arrest him and the cause of the arrest, unless he is then engaged in the commission of an offense, or is pursued immediately after its commission or after an escape, or flees or forcibly resists before the person making the arrest has opportunity so to inform him, or when the giving of such information will imperil the arrest.

13-3881. Arrest; how made; force and restraint
    A. An arrest is made by an actual restraint of the person to be arrested, or by his submission to the custody of the person making the arrest.
    B. No unnecessary or unreasonable force shall be used in making an arrest, and the person arrested shall not be subjected to any greater restraint than necessary for his detention.

13-1303. Unlawful imprisonment; classification
    A. A person commits unlawful imprisonment by knowingly restraining another person.
    B. In any prosecution for unlawful imprisonment, it is a defense that:
    1. The restraint was accomplished by a peace officer acting in good faith in the lawful performance of his duty; or
    2. The defendant is a relative of the person restrained and the defendant's sole intent is to assume lawful custody of that person and the restraint was accomplished without physical injury.
    C. Unlawful imprisonment is a class 6 felony unless the victim is released voluntarily by the defendant without physical injury in a safe place prior to arrest in which case it is a class 1 misdemeanor.

This means that in a worst case scenario, I would be charged with a misdemeanor, which would probably be dismissed when the judge heard the circumstances, and heard from the witnesses. Even if I was convicted, I think that it would be an acceptible price to pay to save the lives of one or more people.

I do not take the act of a citizens arrest lightly, but in a worst case scenario, i would prefer the option to restrain someone over the option of either having to harm them or letting them harm me or others.

Here is a scenario:

I am at a party and a guy starts smacking his girlfriend around. Another party goer starts a fight with the guy and gets his butt kicked. I spray the individual with OC. Noone calls the police because now we feel sorry for him because he is coughing, crying, and appologizing. A few people take him to the bathroom and get him cleaned up. The party goes on. 2 hours later he starts being beligerant again so he is kicked out of the party. He takes his girlfriend with him and drives drunk into oncoming traffic, killing his girlfriend, and a family of four, but our favorite douchebag survives.

Here is the revised scenario:

I am at a party and a guy starts smacking his girlfriend around. Another party goer starts a fight with the guy and gets his butt kicked. I spray the individual with OC. I call the police but it will take a few minutes for them to arrive and he is still thrashing around breaking things and taking blind swings at people so I restrain him until the police arrive. Douchebag goes to jail, the girl is safe, and the family of 4 makes it home from getting icecream. I get a scolding from the responding officers for not just waiting for them to get there, but I go home and sleep like a baby.
    Good luck with that without help. I'm not trying to be a jerk but if someone ever sprayed me with OC and then tried to cuff me, they would be calling an ambulance for them and the cops for me. Granted I'm not an idiot when I drink and certainly wouldn't lay my hands on a woman. Just saying if your by yourself be careful who u piss off

I am usually a pretty laid back guy. If an LEO ever needed to cuff me, I would certainly cooperate, so long as it is a bona fide LEO. A civilian with the same idea? Well, that woefully mistaken individual would have to spend considerable time and effort in the bathroom to recover the cuffs.

Cop with cuffs-"Yes SIR!"

Civilian with cuffs-"I'm afraid this is gonna hurt. Real bad."

Don't try to be a cop if you aren't one. People won't stand for it. Including cops.

Senior Moderator
    This one has pretty much run it's course.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links