Ruger SP-100 4" New and Range Time

This is a discussion on Ruger SP-100 4" New and Range Time within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a new Ruger GP-100 4" barrel, I shot 100 158gr reloads 38sp, and 20 factory 38+P today, so far I really like ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ScaryWoody

Thread: Ruger SP-100 4" New and Range Time

I just purchased a new Ruger GP-100 4" barrel, I shot 100 158gr reloads 38sp, and 20 factory 38+P today, so far I really like it, the trigger is actually better in DA and SA than I had expected. I will shoot at least 500 rounds or so before I decide to do anything to the trigger. Accuracy was very good for first time out. My plan for the gun is range gun, home defense and woods guns.

Good choice on a great gun! I have a bunch of Rugers and they are all built like tanks and have never failed me.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.

VIP Member
    I'm confused. Title says SP-100 (which I haven't heard of) and thread says GP-100.

I have a GP-100 that I bought the year it was introduced. I've enjoyed it, but seldom shoot it anymore. The older I get, the less I like the recoil of the .357 Mag loads. Might try it with some .38 Special loads to see if the joy of shooting it returns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

[QUOTE=archer51;2190424]I'm confused. Title says SP-100 (which I haven't heard of) and thread says GP-100.

It is a GP my mistake.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Congratulations on an excellent choice.

IMO the GP100 is at least in the contest for best .357 revolver on the market today. You can shoot them till your arm falls off and they will be right there for the next shot. They are rugged as a big rock and you can fix about anything in them yourself.

A fun couple of hours with a Dremel polishing wheel and some jewelers files to smooth up the action, then replace only the trigger return spring with a Wolf spring, and you will absolutely love the trigger pull in both modes. There is a document that was published by Gary Bunker (a retired gunsmith) available on the WEB that details everything you could want to know about the gun and didn't know to ask.

Important: Leave the hammer spring alone for reliability if you are going to use it for any SD purposes.

I bought one of these for my Daughter - she picked it out, I paid for it. Put crimson trace grips on it, worked over the trigger, gave it 200 rounds of breakin. Nicest DA revolver I've ever handled. Very nice to shoot with full house .357 mag loads. Makes a lot of noise, fire out the barrel and all, but it lays them in right where you aim if you do your part.

I haven't gotten another one for me .... yet. But I think about it every time I see one.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have a GP-100 that I bought the year it was introduced. I've enjoyed it, but seldom shoot it anymore. The older I get, the less I like the recoil of the .357 Mag loads. Might try it with some .38 Special loads to see if the joy of shooting it returns.
    I recently picked up a 6" GP-100 and really enjoy it. Shooting factory 38 special loads are mild in it. Even my kids handle them quite well.

Great gun.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Just showing off.. I love mine!

gp100.jpg
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I'm so glad the "new" model has an adjustable rear sight. The new front sight is up to the owner as to whether or not you like it. I've been carrying the Security-Six since it came out. It was so well made it spurred on the GP series of pistols which made the pistol small enough to be carried CCW without too much trouble. Ruger pistol have always been top notch. The new version will be a big seller.

VIP Member
    good choice, I got my GP100 for my b-day last year, LOVE it, great shooter

I think I'm gonna have to get a 6" stainless to go with it.......just cause
    Last edited by 64zebra; March 7th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Just picked up one myself. I had one for over twenty five years and traded it away for something else. I corrected that error recently. To the OP , congrats on your GP100 you will find that it is one of your favorites if you are like most of us.

K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Sponsored Links