What is the Most Reliable 1911?

This is a discussion on What is the Most Reliable 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Glock owner thus far. I would love to buy a full-size .45 1911 but I would like to have one that I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is the Most Reliable 1911?

I am a Glock owner thus far. I would love to buy a full-size .45 1911 but I would like to have one that I could treat like my Glocks and it would still go bang every time.

Would that be the plain old Colt Government, the plain Jane, old reliable?

Because I am the owner of a gun with the loosest tolerances ever, and that's a great thing in my world, I am a little concerned about how tight the tolerances are in these revered American pistols.

Not jamming is more important than Olympic level accuracy.

Thanks in advance!
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Any quality NEW full-size Gov't Model should do the trick. Keep it simple...good sights, good trigger....the new guns are all polished/throated for HP etcs. I have Colts..but that's me(and mine are 25+ years old now..I purchased them NEW when I was in the RA). Good Luck
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I must have a cosmic level of luck. Three 1911s (two Springers and a Kimber) in .45 ACP and they run like sewing machines. The first one had a trigger job and some throating back in 1991, and the newest had some chamber polishing, but these are every bit as reliable as my Glock and have far more rounds downrange.

My point is simply to reinforce old grunt's comment that most currently-offered 1911s are reliable. Stick with the familiar names - Colt, Springfield Armory, Kimber, or Les Baer, Ed Brown and Nighthawk if you afford the top-drawer guns. Many more in between (Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Sig), but the first six I mentioned specialize in 1911s... it's not just a tiny segment of their product line.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a colt 1911 manufactured in 1916 was re barreled in 1944 still goes bang , it was trench polished in wwI the man who did it signed it under the grips I have put a new barrel and bushing on the gun for me to use but aside from springs never misses a beat do you think a glock would survive two world wars and two stints in se asia.

(I know the history because it came through the family)
    Last edited by swmft; March 7th, 2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: wrong date
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

One of our Mods Tangle did a pretty good breakdown on a few $1000 to $1500 range 1911's awile back. I think it involved Kimbers, S&W and maybe a few more. Also, JD has a good 1911 buyers guild you should check out.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

My Colt Gov model, or one like it that's not been screwed with by a greenhorn.
    Elk Hunter likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I agree that there are a number of 1911s that will meet your requirement, but you should pay some money to get good magazines. My 1911s are Colt, but my magazines are Wilson.

VIP Member
    Yep what has already been said. Stick with name brand and good mags. I have been running Springfields for years but have owned Colts and others without problems.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    One of our Mods Tangle did a pretty good breakdown on a few $1000 to $1500 range 1911's awile back. I think it involved Kimbers, S&W and maybe a few more. Also, JD has a good 1911 buyers guild you should check out.
    I missed the review you mentioned but here is one that I have read several times Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Any of mine are reliable and I think Colt guns are best. Well, I say that and a front sight disappeared, just came off and went AWOL, when my son and I were out shooting the Colt 1911 one afternoon about 4 years ago. Of course the gun was 89 years old, was well used when I got it, and had put up with 30 years of heavy shooting and carrying use from me. I guess Colt wouldn't have fixed under warranty at that point. It's never stuttered though.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Springfield Armory is a good place to start. Springfield has a lifetime warranty on them, so if there is a problem your covered.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Like Glockman10mm says, the best ones are ones that have not been messed with by a greenhorn.

you can't go wrong with a colt goverment. I myself own many, and they never miss a beat. I'm terrible at the cleaning ritual too. I usually just spray mine down with oil, and wipe and blow dry. I like real 7 shot colt mags, not a big fan of anything hanging out below the frame. And if you're buying used, don't shy away from the mixed and matched ones either. Picked up an Ithaca framed, Argentine slide 1911 at a gun show. Gun rattled like lugnuts in a coffee can, but never failed to go bang.

Distinguished Member
    To add to this thread, does anyone have any direct experience with a Ruger SR1911? I have that on my list of acquisitions I hope to fill some day but was just curious if there were any comments, either good or bad, about that particular make/model.

A Glock 21!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links