Gun Loyalty

Gun Loyalty

This is a discussion on Gun Loyalty within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help me, folks. I have more concealed carry weapons than I can comfortably carry on me at any one time. All are excellent and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Loyalty

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Gun Loyalty

Help me, folks.

I have more concealed carry weapons than I can comfortably carry on me at any one time. All are excellent and I love each for different reasons.

Silly as it sounds, I feel guilty when I carry one and not another or the others, almost as if I owe the weapon carry time. I feel like I am betraying one weapon when I carry another.

The only solution that readily presents itself is to rotate them according to me mood or needs or mode of dress.

(No, this is not as serious as some problems people have, and I both realize and am grateful for it...and no, this isn't going to cause me go-see-a-shrink-level kinds of anxiety)

Suggestions, folks?

It's going to cost you a fair amount just for all the holsters. (Theoretically, of course. Personally, I don't have that many holsters...... well, perhaps a few or more.)

VIP Member
    Randy, pick the 5 you carry the most, then put the rest in a big box and send them to me here in Alabama. I'll make sure that they get plenty of exercise and don't feel neglected. If you like I can even send you photos of them being fondled, fired, cleaned, and polished.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Randy, pick the 5 you carry the most, then put the rest in a big box and send them to me here in Alabama. I'll make sure that they get plenty of exercise and don't feel neglected. If you like I can even send you photos of them being fondled, fired, cleaned, and polished.

Haha, that was great. I laughed out loud.

You're starting to worry me, Randy.
    Just make sure you don't go for that Glock squeeze when packing John Browning's finest!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    LOL...All the other pistols are in the gun safe talking about how they never get played with. The lucky pistol that was chosen to be used gets shunned when you return it to the safe.

I actually had this conversation not too long ago; and the several friends I was talking with concluded that rotating through multiple different weapons can hamper your proficiency. Of course maybe you have all 1911's in the same chambering. But if you are like me you have a variety of pistols (ie DAO, SA, DAO-SA, snubbie) and that makes it more difficult to train (mainly range time and ammunition).

I made the conscious decision to keep my carry guns limited to two. This allows me to split my range time between the two and hopefully become instinctive with them.

Just my opinion!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Thanks, dr_cmg....

If it gets that bad, I'll let you know....but don't hold your breath!!

Maybe I should just trade in a few for copies of one......

Lead Moderator
    I only acrry a few of my pistols. I picked 1 type of operation/action (SA, safety down to fire)guns and stuck with it. that way, when I draw, I know what I am doing by muscle memory.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Randy - despite your options - and I know a good many folks chop and change - remember the ''man with but one gun'' - and make one if you can the prime and constant choice.

Maybe two is OK for most as we may have to downsize now and again for practical reasons. I am just off to a funeral home to pay a sad visit to where a buddy's wife lies. I have dropped the SIG and will make do with R9 in pocket. Once home later, SIG goes back on.

I would forget ''loyalty'' and make your choice the gun that fits you best, shoots best and is of course A1 reliable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

O.k., that is a great problem to have, lot's of gun's is a good problem to have!

But let's look at this constructively. First what exactly are we talking about here as far as what you rotate for carry?

The reason I ask is because I believe you may be setting youself up for failure if you would ever need your piece in a SHTF extremely fast encounter with a BG. Are you going to be grabbing at a gun that's not there or are you carrying a gun with different safties or even without safties, etc.

Training is also applying muscle memory/development and I am not sure carrying different weapons that are not near the same in feel and safties is the best thing to do. For instance, I have two 1911's that I carry, one is a 3" Kimber officer grip and the other is a Commander w/full size grip. They are both the same in how they function it's just that the Kimber is much easier to conceal when I need it so there is no confusion if I am ever in a life or death situation.

So, I am not so sure about the rotation thing, might turn out to be a problem if the day ever comes you would really need your weapon. Are you going to remember what you have with you when things are stressfull and you need your carry piece to save your life?

I don't mean to get deep but that is the way I see it as this being a potential problem. I know of no trainers that would recommend do this.

ETA ~ I was writing when Rocky and Chris posted but that is exactly right on both accounts and what I am saying as well. Chris sorry about your buddies wife, that's sad.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; August 28th, 2006 at 06:40 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    ...that is a good problem to have!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

You need to indoctrinate yourself in reality

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Silly as it sounds, I feel guilty when I carry one and not another or the others, almost as if I owe the weapon carry time. I feel like I am betraying one weapon when I carry another.
    I think you know on the conscious level that guns don't have feelings, and that you shouldn't feel "guilty" about leaving them in the safe. You just need to convince yourself completely that this is the case. I would suggest writing out a paragraph on a notecard that says this with certainty, and reading it to yourself several times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I only acrry a few of my pistols. I picked 1 type of operation/action (SA, safety down to fire)guns and stuck with it. that way, when I draw, I know what I am doing by muscle memory.
    +1

I've been carrying for 10+ years. Own a bunch of different stuff.... I've always carried (and do my serious practice with) a 1911 of some sort or other. I recently switched to USPc .45 V9. Pretty much the same manual of arms. I spent several months training with the USP before I switched.....
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

Oh yea?

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I think you know on the conscious level that guns don't have feelings, and that you shouldn't feel "guilty" about leaving them in the safe. You just need to convince yourself completely that this is the case. I would suggest writing out a paragraph on a notecard that says this with certainty, and reading it to yourself several times a day.
    I just told my Springer Champion what you said, and he is not happy...

Randy, have had the same feelings from time to time - I just think that the other guns get a vacation, and since I like vacations, they must too. Of course, they haven't told me that for sure...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

+1 TI-Carry
    That's the reason I have stopped rotating my carry
    peace.

I have dedicated my self to carry my Glock 23,on and off duty.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links