Bought another Snubbie tonight

This is a discussion on Bought another Snubbie tonight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a fever...and the only prescription is more Snubnose revolvers. Went to get range ammo for a trip tomorrow evening and picked up this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bought another Snubbie tonight

Bought another Snubbie tonight

I've got a fever...and the only prescription is more Snubnose revolvers. Went to get range ammo for a trip tomorrow evening and picked up this S&W 649 while I was there. Got it for $370. I have a weakness for smith snubs, and even moreso for the bodyguard model. There was another nickel smith snub in there I wanted, but got to pace myself. I cleaned it up a bit, but it needs more polishing. Gives me something to mess with.

I see a pattern developing.
    Attached Images
    sid1, wmhawth, azchevy and 5 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've got a fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    Fixed it!!
    -------------------

Pretty... Yeah, you should definitely pace yourself. -- If it gets to be too much, I would gladly hold on to a couple of those for you. For as long as you want/need.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Well, everybody should be allowed at least one vice! Enjoy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Nice.... I was looking at a taurus 85, 38 spl 2 inch.....but then again I like my Bersa 380 CC and was looking at a Bersa 9mm UC....

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, everybody should be allowed at least one vice! Enjoy!
    Problem is I have several. Guns, antique cars, golf...I could be doing worse things.

VIP Member
    Problem is I have several. Guns, antique cars, golf...I could be doing worse things.
    Know the vices well guns, classic cars, coins and home brew. Great looking snubbies there.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

They are HOBBIES! Not vices! Nice addition, neat to have a slightly varied collection of a certain style. I think it really adds to the flavor having the subtle nuances of same make diff model, same model diff mods etc.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have a weakness for j-frames too. Have gone through about five of them throughout the years. I had a squarebutt one like yours once. I love the airweight models. Currently with a M38. I like the shrouded hammer so I can choose to use the SA mode. You might want to look for a 3" barreled J-frame for something different. It is a little longer but the ejector rod will push the empty cases completely clear of the cylinder and gain a little more velocity.

VIP Member
    As long as you don't start collecting wives your OK!.

Nice snubby collection. although I think I'd add one of these too.
    Attached Images
    got2hav1, BugDude and wmhawth like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I've got a fever...and the only prescription is more Snubnose revolvers. Went to get range ammo for a trip tomorrow evening and picked up this S&W 649 while I was there. Got it for $370. I have a weakness for smith snubs, and even moreso for the bodyguard model. There was another nickel smith snub in there I wanted, but got to pace myself. I cleaned it up a bit, but it needs more polishing. Gives me something to mess with.

I see a pattern developing.
    I hear brother! always loved those guns too! And as stated in some of my other posts that will be my next gun also.
    Congrats and injoy!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As long as you don't start collecting wives your OK!.

Nice snubby collection. although I think I'd add one of these too.
    I've got the Police Six 4" model in .357 and a 2" SP101...got a 3" H&R 922 also.
    Attached Images

Okay, I gots ta know....

Is that really a square butt M-442, or do you just have SB stocks on a RB frame?????

Also, I see you have removed the lock plate. You might want to reconsider that. I did the same thing on my M360PD, and after about 5K rounds the entire remaining mechanism dropped into the frame and totally locked the piece up.

The way to disable that stinking lock is to remove the lock plate, grind off the nub that immobilizes the hammer, and put it back in. That way, even if it self-engages, no worries because the hammer is still free to move. If you leave it out, the circular lock works is no longer supported on both sides and will eventually work loose if the gun is carried/shot. I had misplaced the plate, so I just knocked the whole thing out and replaced it with "the plug".

Just FYI...

There is a guy on the S&W Forum who sell a simple plug that clips in place and is pretty much bullet-proof.

Very nice collection BD, very nice indeed...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Okay, I gots ta know....

Is that really a square butt M-442, or do you just have SB stocks on a RB frame?????

Also, I see you have removed the lock plate. You might want to reconsider that. I did the same thing on my M360PD, and after about 5K rounds the entire remaining mechanism dropped into the frame and totally locked the piece up.

The way to disable that stinking lock is to remove the lock plate, grind off the nub that immobilizes the hammer, and put it back in. That way, even if it self-engages, no worries because the hammer is still free to move. If you leave it out, the circular lock works is no longer supported on both sides and will eventually work loose if the gun is carried/shot. I had misplaced the plate, so I just knocked the whole thing out and replaced it with "the plug".

Just FYI...

There is a guy on the S&W Forum who sell a simple plug that clips in place and is pretty much bullet-proof.
    It's square butt grips on a round butt frame. There's a little gap on the bottom and bottom portion of the backstrap, but it fits my hand MUCH better and I can't feel the gap when holding it. I had the wooden grips, and hated the factory boot grip, and it works.

I've never heard about the issue from removing the flag. I've carried and shot the snot out of it since removing it (over 1,000 rounds) and never had any issue. Thought about grinding off the spur and putting it back in but just haven't seen the need. I'll be carrying my new addition while I do some research on it. Thanks.

Congrats Bug! And NO stupid lock..a real bonus!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links