Wanting to get another pistol- 1911 maybe?

This is a discussion on Wanting to get another pistol- 1911 maybe? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been longing for a 1911 (probably a comander) to carry, but I already have a G19...I have about $500 left in my gun money and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tarheelddavi

Thread: Wanting to get another pistol- 1911 maybe?

Been longing for a 1911 (probably a comander) to carry, but I already have a G19...I have about $500 left in my gun money and have been looking at some of the full sized stuff in the knock off brands, I recently saw a no-namer in CDNN's ad for $350 something...I've bought these back in the 90's and they ended up being really decent guns but not sure on these.

I'd get a ruger, but it seems those aren't terribly easy to aquire, locally you either have really expensive or not available as my options.

Probably a shooters arms imported by century, another fillipino clone.
    For the price it might be worth a try.

Century Arms November 2011 Consumer Catalog
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Rock Island Armory. A friend of mine just bought one. Shoots great and a very decent price.
    ktulu92fs likes this.

Was thinking about an RIA model, no one sells them here locally...there are some flip made ones though, $408 for a comander and 478 for a std one...I dunno.

VIP Member
    Save up and get a nice one! You got the Glock for now.

I love my colt... granted, i did send it to Wilson Combat for a complete once over...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhšuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Save up some and get Colt. The commander is a great carry piece. Don't be afraid of used. Just be wary of abused.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Save up and get a nice one! You got the Glock for now.
    Good advice :)
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vanagonnuts View Post
    Been longing for a 1911 (probably a comander) to carry, but I already have a G19...I have about $500 left in my gun money and have been looking at some of the full sized stuff in the knock off brands, I recently saw a no-namer in CDNN's ad for $350 something...I've bought these back in the 90's and they ended up being really decent guns but not sure on these.

I'd get a ruger, but it seems those aren't terribly easy to aquire, locally you either have really expensive or not available as my options.

WANT A GREAT GUN FOR go back to that CDNN cataloge and order you up a S&W 5906 for 299

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    WANT A GREAT GUN FOR go back to that CDNN cataloge and order you up a S&W 5906 for 299
    I've had the 5906 before, its a great gun...but its a 9mm and weighs ALOT.

but yes, I thought about getting a couple of those 5906's for investments...good SHTF guns, good to trade for a benz when guns are banned and zombies are on a rampage.

vanagonnuts,
    I suspect the gun you saw advertised was an RIA. Obviously, the Colt Commander is a fine gun, but if you're looking to "scratch your 1911 itch" right now, and stay around $500, I think you've got some good options. RIA makes some nice guns and has a generally good reputation.

I bought my first 1911 about 18 month ago, an American Classic "Commander." It's had approx 500 rounds of hardball and is doing just fine. Also has handled JHP's and SWC handloads well. I'm very pleased. Fit is tight. Blued finish is dark and nice. At the time I got the AC, I was also considering a RIA. Nothing against the RIA, but even though the AC was only $25 more expensive, the AC had better sights (Novak style vs. GI low profile), nicer finish (blued vs Parkerized) and a few other features not on the RIA (extended slide stop, oversize safety, combat hammer combat trigger). The AC is now one of my EDC guns. My out the door cost was about $450. I'd make the same purchase again if given the choice.

A year ago I bought a Citadel "Concealed Carry" (Officer's frame). It's also doing very well after having approx 300 rounds through it. The Citadel is made by the same manufacturer, Armscor, that makes RIA. But the Citadel had a number of upgrades (Novak type sights, beavertail safety grip, flared ejection port, extended slide stop/thumb safety and target hammer/trigger) not available on the RIA. I really like the Citadel, but I've yet to warm up to its Parkerized finish.... The Citadel was on sale at "Gun Genie" when I bought it. Final price was about $475. I've also recently seen some Citadels at Academy Sports.

Both the AC and Citadel are regulars in my cc rotation.

From my experience, I think you'd do well with either an AC or RIA/Citadel. ATI also sells 1911's made in the Philipines, but I have no experience w/ it. Armscor and AC both seem to have a good reputation for customer service. I'd go w/ whichever one has the specs you want at the best price. Sure, neither are as refined as a Colt, but they appear to be solid guns that should serve you well, especially if you just can't wait to buy the Colt!

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    right at your max for your gun and not a commander size but if you want a nice 1911 that's american made para.PNG I have it in stainless about 400 rounds in it and no Failures to feed or eject good luck...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I've seen those, where is that ad taken from?

Got a chance to hold the ATI and the RIA....both felt like decent pistols.

$429 each, for the comander and the full size, the comander had full beavertail grip safety.

What is the skinny on the RI compact? 3'' seems a little short (ya ya...thats what she said )

I'm leaning towards the compact for ease of CC

Links