Kel-Tec - Page 2

Kel-Tec

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my 2nd gen. P-32 for several months, equipped with an Armalaser (laser sight), and have run hundreds of rounds with no problems. It ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec

P-32

I've had my 2nd gen. P-32 for several months, equipped with an Armalaser (laser sight), and have run hundreds of rounds with no problems. It carries very well in a leather pocket holster in my front pocket, making it practically invisible and is easy to draw. In many situation that may turn nasty, I am able to rest my hand in my pocket, fully gripping my gun, and no one knows that I am ready, while looking casual. It takes all of 1 1/2 seconds to draw and fire, especially since I can start firing immediately after clearing my pocket, as the Armalaser turns on automatically when I put my finger on the trigger.

The laser sight makes it very easy to accurately fire in any position, which is really helpful in a seated position, prone position or weak-handed, without having to fully extend your arm to sight down the barrel as with the conventional sights. This is also good in close quarters in the house, self defense situations.

When I am driving, I use a cross-draw Kydex holster in my lap. In a car-jacking situation I can merely raise the gun and fire, if necessary, using the laser to sight without having to fully raise the firearm. If the threat is from the passenger side window, I just swing my arm across to the passenger side, again with the help of the laser sight.

If I need to leave my firearm in my vehicle for any reason, I lock it in a Center of Mass gun safe under my front seat. For the price, the gunsafe from Center of Mass is very hard to beat. And the good thing about it is you can take it with you if want to. From car to car; or to a hotel/motel.

I chose the Kel-Tec P-32 for it's size and weight, making it easy to carry 'all-the-time'. Being that it is somewhat small in caliber, I expect to use more than one-shot, to deter a threat, so I have one in the pipe ready to go and also carry 2 spare loaded mags. One other reason why I chose the P-32 is that it is double action only, which makes me feel more comfortable regarding accidental discharges. I used to carry another gun with one in the pipe, loaded, safety on, before, and really didn't feel comfortable with it so close to the 'family jewels'.

The bottom line is that although some may feel otherwise, I feel comfortable with it. And that is really all that matters. Cause I'll carry it all the time. Whereas the .45 Star PD auto and .38 Charter Arms Det. Spcl. I used to carry, at first was always; then most of the time; then occasionally; then not at all...

I hope this has been helpful to some of you.

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

I have a 2nd gen P3-AT and carry it frequently. I use CORBON 80 gr DPX +P ammo. I feel it is reliable enough to carry. However, I did do "some" fluff and buff on the pistol when I first purchased it. In 450 rounds I have never had a problem. I only practice with American Federal (Red Box) 95 gr ammo. Then run a couple rounds of Corbon though the P3. Cann't afford to practice with Corbon.

I wanted a P-11 based upon the performance of the P3-AT. When I went to try one, I did not like the loooooooong trigger pull on the pistol. Instead, I bought a Kahr CW9 and am extremely happy with it. It eats any ammo I have put through it including Winchester "white box" with no problems. I also, carry Corbon in the CW9.

Good luck on your selection. However, rent or borrow a pistol of the kind you like prior to buying one. Try it out for few rounds and see how it fits you and shoots for you. Save you a lot of grief and money if you do.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Good luck making your decision....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Keltec

I've had zero problems with my Keltecs, both the .32 & .380 models.

Their small size & light weight makes them easy to carry ALL the time, as others have stated. AND that's the reason we do all this, to CARRY the gun.

I have other carry guns ( Kahr, GLock, S&W ) ,but the Keltecs are usually the ones that get the call because they are so easy to drop in a pocket and go.

Keltec also gave me great service, the one time I asked for something. Took my gun to their Cocoa plant to have the slide swapped out for a parkerized one. Not only did they change it on the spot, their gunsmith gave my gun a going over & then a reliability test with several mags of the same ammo I used in the gun ( no charge for this )

GO try one as not everyone's likes and dislikes are the same. It is not a target pistol. If you like it, buy it.

Just my humble opinion.

I just sent mine back to Kel-Tec P3AT. I've had many, many failure to extracts. A friend of mine has 4 of them, 1 is reliable (one of the 1st p3at come out of kel-etc).

I decided I'm not trusting my life on a $250 plastic gun. I went out and bought myself a S&W 340PD last week. It goes bang everytime and I don't see that changing anytime soon. If I'm going to a bad area, I'll throw my 340PD in my front pocked and clip my P3AT IWB.

Wotblake, typically a FTE means a loose Frankenbolt, the bolt that holds the extractor. A 2mm allen and some blue loctite usually will fix the problem.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by bh153dc View Post
    Wotblake, typically a FTE means a loose Frankenbolt, the bolt that holds the extractor. A 2mm allen and some blue loctite usually will fix the problem.
    Thanks, when I get back from kel-etc I'll take that out, loctite it, and tighten it back down. I had problems from the time I got the gun. I feel more confident with the 340pd in my pocket though.

I own 4 - a P-32, P-3AT, P-11, and an SU-16C.

Number 5 will arrive as soon as the PF-9 is released (read waiting with Great Anticipation).

I have neither Fluffed nor Buffed any of mine ever, at all, and ALL have been 100% out of the box, several hundred rounds later.

Keltecs are - IMO - Great Value guns.

They are EXTREMELY Lightweight and Concealable, very reliable, accurate and affordable.

They each fit the role they were designed for Very Well...

Great Price, Great Size, Great Performance - What more could you ask for?
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

wotblake, when you get the weapon back from Cocoa FL, more than likely KelTec will have tightened the bolt but check it anyway. I caution you, if you are going to loosen the bolt, only loosen it so as about 2 to 3 threads are showing. This bolt also holds the firing pin in and if you loosen it too much- plinggggg. The screw is made of soft metal so don't over tighten or you WILL strip the head. Use the blue or purple loctite with about 2 to 3 threads showing and then retighten. DO NOT use the red loctite, you will never get the bolt loose again. Sorry you had such bad luck,
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

P-11 = great ccw gun!

Both my P11 and P32 are 100% reliable. I carry at least one of them a day!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

The P3AT is a smell their breath gun. It's going to be used with in 10' most of the time. It has to work every time right out of your pocket and forget about aiming it. This a point shoot type weapon. Learn to shoot it from the hip too. I will still carry my S&W1911/.45 but I like the idea of having my P3AT in my pocket too.
    You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

My P11 goes bang everytime. It's not a joy to shoot because of the long trigger pull, but it's not that bad either.

Pretty accurate, and small enough to pocket carry.

Hello, I have carried this P32 for a very long time. Although it wont feed Corbons (the extractor slips off the rim) it has fed Gold Dots 100%! I like it alot!! Especially with the brutal Florida heat!!

I carry my P-11 daily in my front pocket (dockers, cargos, or loose fit jeans), even when I strap on something larger.

When the gun was new it didn't want to feed HP's, so I buffed the feed ramp. Now 5-600 rds. later it has been 100%. I trust this little gun, but it's not a range piece. GVG = Great Value Gun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links